Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Along that lines... I am sure UA has the power to cure many people.

"Those needing a little extra time, please have a seat and board last." Like a miracle, I would imagine they will all be cured."

Board wheelchairs first. Then everyone else in whatever order they see fit. And when we land. Make sure the wheelchairs wait for everyone to deplane. Then go up the ramp. I am sure UA would see a huge reduction in wheelchairs and 'those needing extra time'.

(Why do I say that about the wheelchairs? Simple... 'The Miracle Flights' ... in the fall the FA's say on flights from the Northeast to South Florida, the number of wheelchairs boarding vs wheelchairs deplaining is less than half. )
Ever seen the fights for wheelchairs at EWR when early morning overseas flights arrive?? Quite the spectacle because a wheelchair allows an otherwise fully-enable PAX to jump the Immigation queue!

Last edited by goalie; Aug 2, 2015 at 4:26 pm Reason: Repaired quote
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by manstein58
ever seen the fights for wheelchairs at EWR when early morning overseas flights arrive?? Quite the spectacle because a wheelchair allows an otherwise fully-enable PAX to jump the Immigation queue!
Or the flip side - when I needed a wheelchair once at EWR, forcing me to use the regular line instead of GE
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
From 2011 to 2014 I few on several UA flights, domestic & International as a SE and I have always been a group 2. I was only in group 1 when I flew J MUC-IAD and then Group 2 IAD to DEN-YYC.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
This sounds like a question better asked on the UA board.
Just to make this clear, you were not given boarding group #1 before as an SE, but rather as Star Alliance Gold.

Last year, I always received boarding group #1 when flying on UA with my AC ff number, but I haven't flown on UA recently.
I'm not sure myself whether things have recently changed.
I've seen the queues for Group One contain many more people than there are seats in FC in which case a lot of high level Elites on those flights are not making the upgrade.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
As others mentioned above, technically according to UA rules, you should board Group 2. When UA first rolled out zoned boarding, I was rightfully Group 2 (actually for the first few months, I was Group 4 but the lounge agents rightfully corrected that )

But starting some time last year, I've always been Group 1 as *G flying economy. In fact, I flew SFO-PHX on Monday July 27 and was still Group 1.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Boarding Zone 1 - no longer happening?

I've always had group 1 with UA in Y as *G. This was as recent as June 2015
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I've always had group 1 with UA in Y as *G. This was as recent as June 2015
Probably boarding with the wrong group

The only time I board zone 1 on UA is when travelling in front cabin (paid F).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
As this thread is about UA boarding procedures, it's moved to the UA forum.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. UA has apparently fixed the glitch that was incorrectly giving *G Zone 1 boarding privileges.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I've seen the queues for Group One contain many more people than there are seats in FC in which case a lot of high level Elites on those flights are not making the upgrade.
As a 1K my upgrade percentage is less then 25% this year. So yes, most of us in the Group 1 line head back to coach.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good news. Now they just need to kick the credit card holders down a group.
^ couldn't agree more.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by BThumme
Well where is a distinction going to get made? You would have to add perks for new top tier (unlikely any other perks besides maybe G1 boarding) or devalue Gold and Silver even more into a lower tier.

Group 1 for top tier?
Group 2 for middle and lower?
Group 3 all else?
That's an easy one.

(At their leisure) (international) F, GS, uniformed military.
Group 0 (just for fun!) Folks with no carry-ons or putting stuff under seat.
Group 1 (domestic) F, J, 1K
Group 2 UA Plat, UA Gold *G
Group 3 UA Silver, *S, Credit card fellas, whatever Premier Access buys
Group 4 Window
Group 5 Middle
Group 6 Aisle.

Where have I seen this list before?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Amen. Group 1 has been half to 1/4 of the plane lately.
And a full F Passenger is also group 1. How the heck does it make sense to stick a guy who just paid more for 1 ticket in the same line as s bunch of people who don't spend that much all year ????? UA is the ONLY airlines I've ever seen make F intl pax wait on line which is just one of 1000 reasons people won't pay for UA intl F. It's an insult plain and simple
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
UA is the ONLY airlines I've ever seen make F intl pax wait on line which is just one of 1000 reasons people won't pay for UA intl F.
I take it you haven't flown OZ ex-LAX
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is much ado about very little. Most of this is about marketing hype and threads like this show that the hype works. As between 1 & 2, both ought to find OH space.

The only thing that really matters is that carriers strictly enforce their carry-on rules. If they don't, the zones themselves won't solve the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.