Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
I'm ok with boarding as it is now. Things have settled down since the system was first implemented and I rarely have issues anymore.
Me too.

I am trying to understand what people would change it to though; what they think would work better than what is in place today.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Me too.

I am trying to understand what people would change it to though; what they think would work better than what is in place today.
It would appear most people favor first boarding ahead of Group 1.

Also seems most want group 1 and 2 smaller, but contention as to who gets the boot.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by 110pgl
It would appear most people favor first boarding ahead of Group 1.
I'm fine with that. Either way, it doesn't help anything. The ONLY issue in Group 1 is finding space for your bag in the F cabin and this doesn't solve it.

One thing that WOULD (partially) solve it would be to make the crew stop using the overhead space above 1E for cargo. That's just stupid, when they know anyone sitting in 1E/F has to put BOTH bags overhead. This practice just messes up the entire system. That stuff should be in the back of the plane.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I get where you are going, but to have any real difference, Plat's would have to be downgraded a group (I think). And bump others down too.

Preboard: GS and F (all F, no segregation of paid F vs. award F or upgraded F) and Military
Group 1: 1K, Business Class on an Int'l config
Group 2: Platinum, Gold, *G
Group 3: Silver, *S, Credit Card Elites
Group 4: W
Group 5: M
Group 6: A

At this point though, I think there is a lot of benefit to the familiarity with the current process.

Trying to change it again would be disruptive for many travelers accustomed to the current process.
I would be all for this, but two big issues.

1. UA makes way too much money from the credit card deal. By diluting the "perk" and making it not as appealing could impact revenue

And

2. UA has invested significant dollars into their existing boarding process. The signs and such and given UA invested heavily into this boarding process at their revamped gates means they see the existing process as a longer term solution. Let alone what you mentioned that the passengers have become familiar with this process and they received bad rep last time they changed boarding process so quickly.

We can all wish and present solutions but highly unlikely we would see any adjustments in the next 2-3 years. Plus that would actually mean that UA is listening to their customers and admit defeat ha.

Every survey I ding them on boarding and I am guessing I am not the only one given we have 300 pages now here.

An easy fix without adjustments to the 5 groups could be GS/first/military/disabled. At least if they board first, it would give the poor GS pax time to come forward. Love how they always call GS and not one second later we are boarding group 1.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dank0014
1. UA makes way too much money from the credit card deal. By diluting the "perk" and making it not as appealing could impact revenue.
I'm guessing AA does just fine financially w/their card deal even though they board their credit card holders AFTER all AA elites (versus letting them board with Million Mile flyers).
Old May 27, 2015, 7:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm guessing AA does just fine financially w/their card deal even though they board their credit card holders AFTER all AA elites (versus letting them board with Million Mile flyers).
AA's credit card also only gives you a free bag on domestic tickets, UA allows Intl, also, right? Citi is not Chase/ They each have differing benefits/
Old May 27, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
inconsitent

I had a new experience in ORD the other day.

737-800 (so pretty good size cabin)

Zone 1 and Zone 2 were all in the same path, zones 3, 4, 5, all in the same paths. So, I thought they would call "zones 1 and 2 can board" of course that didn't happen and since so many ppl who were zone 2 did indeed line up in the new combined zone 1/2 cattle chute all the zone 2 folks had to move out of the way to let the zone 1 folks come in. At one point, one of the zone 1 folks said "if only people would line up with Zone 1 at the front and then come the zone 2 folks, we wouldn't be having this problem" to which I said "REALLY, you honestly think you're going to get 75-90 ppl to line up somehow magically in RANK order starting 10 minutes before boarding time and find the DMZ for 'zone 2' and simply queue up behind?"

WHY wouldn't United purposely try to create so much chaos and congestion on purpose?

I can ONLY imagine what it must have been like to see the ppl in the zone 3/4/5 COMBINED Chute, have to allow only the 3's to go, then the 4's, then the 5's... REALLY UNITED?
Old May 27, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I had a new experience in ORD the other day.

Zone 1 and Zone 2 were all in the same path, zones 3, 4, 5, all in the same paths.
As I'm sure you know, UA only does the 2 lane system where there is insufficient space for the fully monty.

This intermixing problem would not arise if the [expletive deleted] gate lice waited for their [expletive deleted] BG to be [expletive deleted] called!!! A radical idea, I know!
Old May 27, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
As I'm sure you know, UA only does the 2 lane system where there is insufficient space for the fully monty.

This intermixing problem would not arise if the [expletive deleted] gate lice waited for their [expletive deleted] BG to be [expletive deleted] called!!! A radical idea, I know!
I've always fascinated by human behavior and have noticed that all works fine - and people obey the "Don't line up until your zone is called" announcements until ONE thing happens - a (typically) single person will break ranks and get in line - and then it's like lemmings to the cliff....
Old May 27, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7

But the passengers / gate lice are not to be blamed here. If you put a sign up that says boarding groups 1/2 this lane and groups 3/4/5, then a pax who hasn't been through the process a ton will probably think they all board together. It is not like the sign says

GROUP 1 -OR- GROUP 2 (wait for group # to be announced prior to lining up).
Old May 27, 2015, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just like Delta does by having Amex holders board in Group 1 with Silver Medallions. (Delta does First Class/Diamond followed by Sky Priority which is Platinum and Gold).
Old May 28, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Just like Delta does by having Amex holders board in Group 1 with Silver Medallions. (Delta does First Class/Diamond followed by Sky Priority which is Platinum and Gold).
I always thought it was so ridiculous. You are group 1 but all these other people will board ahead of you. But you are group 1 so you are special. When UA had all the elites boarding by elite status then group 1 was crazy, there were at least 4 groups ahead of group 1. All it does is confuse the infrequent flier who tries to board before their group is called then they say I am group 1, why can't I board first. Why can't the airlines just be honest about it. The 1 in group 1 loses all meaning. UA has gotten better with the current iteration. Group 1 is actually only group 3 behind the persons with disabilities/needing extra help group, the GS and military group. All under the illusion that you are special. The non-elite CC holders are the worst trying to board first when it says Premier Access and group 2 and even though it is usually announced that CC holders board with group 2, then you see a sign that says Premier Access Groups 1 and 2 so they jump into the front then get upset when they are told they can't board yet. Stupidity in labeling and advertising.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I've always fascinated by human behavior and have noticed that all works fine - and people obey the "Don't line up until your zone is called" announcements until ONE thing happens - a (typically) single person will break ranks and get in line - and then it's like lemmings to the cliff....
Oh, yes!

Noticed that exact phenomenon at NRT yesterday (which used to be a great station for boarding efficiency, FWIW, as you well know!)... at T-15 before scheduled boarding, there was no one in line. Everyone was seated.

My wife sat down with the bags, and I ran off to do one last sweep of duty free whisky (horrid price hikes as discussed extensively in the Japan forum), and came back at T-10 to witness one guy get in line... then it was a massive influx as everyone leaped up to get in line.

At least the UA agents did check BPs for those lined up to ensure GS, group 1, etc. ...
Old May 28, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
In my EXTREMELY unscientific study, I've found the automatic gates seem to cut down the clutter because people know that they won't let a person board in the wrong group. Group 1 was the lowest I've seen in years.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:47 am

Quick United boarding tip - An Apple Watch with your boarding pass seems to allow you to board in any group you wish.

1) It's common knowledge that the gate scanner only shows your seat and name, no group info

2) The watch only shows the QR code, all other details need to be scrolled to become visible

3) Gate agents and passengers are so mystified / enchanted by it that it removes any chance of "can I see which group your in".

I got my watch the first week it was out and four times now I've jumped into the Group 1 lane without issue. On my last trip yesterday some snooty business guy said "excuse me, can I see your boarding pass" (I guess he was self-appointed line police) but as soon as he saw the watch he started asking how I liked it and we chatted about my experiences.

If this continues there'll be no need for me to renew my United CC for premier access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.