Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Can you verify what boarding group you will be in? I don't see way to do that. Does it show up when you check in online and print boarding passes? Is there a way to confirm your boarding group before check in?
It does show up on the boarding passes... In general see the Wiki at the top of this thread for where groups break and you can make a pretty educated guess as to what group you'll find yourself in...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It does show up on the boarding passes... In general see the Wiki at the top of this thread for where groups break and you can make a pretty educated guess as to what group you'll find yourself in...
Thanks. I appreciate it. I have a good idea where I should be, just wondering if there was some magic way to find out in advance. Wouldn't we all like that.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:59 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I get where you are going, but to have any real difference, Plat's would have to be downgraded a group (I think). And bump others down too.

Preboard: GS and F (all F, no segregation of paid F vs. award F or upgraded F) and Military
Group 1: 1K, Business Class on an Int'l config
Group 2: Platinum, Gold, *G
Group 3: Silver, *S, Credit Card Elites
Group 4: W
Group 5: M
Group 6: A

At this point though, I think there is a lot of benefit to the familiarity with the current process.

Trying to change it again would be disruptive for many travelers accustomed to the current process.
Smart thing to do would be to analyze the travelers and reorganize the groups as works best. For example, W, M, A as separate groups makes no sense on a flight from SFO->IAD that is 30% GS, First, 1K, Platinum, 30% Gold and Silver, 20% credit card, and 20% WMA! Instead, group all the WMA into a single group, group the credit-card holders into their own group... Then make gold and silver board together before both the non-elite groups (including credit card).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
Smart thing to do would be to analyze the travelers and reorganize the groups as works best. For example, W, M, A as separate groups makes no sense on a flight from SFO->IAD that is 30% GS, First, 1K, Platinum, 30% Gold and Silver, 20% credit card, and 20% WMA! Instead, group all the WMA into a single group, group the credit-card holders into their own group... Then make gold and silver board together before both the non-elite groups (including credit card).
Not sure if there is an agreement in *A about when Gold boards. Also, while it can be argued many different ways, I think the revenue difference between silver and gold warrants gold being grouped with Plat. Of course I think 1K should board just after First/G.S.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:52 pm
NDN

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Not sure if there is an agreement in *A about when Gold boards. Also, while it can be argued many different ways, I think the revenue difference between silver and gold warrants gold being grouped with Plat. Of course I think 1K should board just after First/G.S.
How about a points system?

Aisle = 1
Middle = 2
Window = 3
Credit Card = 1
Silver = 1
Gold = 2
Platinum = 3
1k = 5
First Class = 5
Business class = 4

Preboarding = GS, military, disabled
Group 1 = 6+ points
Group 2 = 4 or 5 points
Group 3 = 3 points
Group 4 = 2 points
Group 5 = 1 point

Passenger Examples:
silver, has credit card, and sitting in the middle = 4 points, Group 2
silver, no credit card, and sitting in middle = 3 points, Group 3
gold, has credit card, sitting in window seat = 6 points, Group 1

Under this system, the following are true:

(1) 1K and first class always get Group 1
(2) Platinum needs help to get Group 1 (needs 3 more points)
(3) Economy Platinum cannot get Group 1 in an aisle seat
(4) Economy Gold cannot get Group 1 unless in a window seat and holding credit card
(5) Economy Silver cannot get Group 1
(6) Non-Elite credit card holders in Economy cannot get Group 2 without window seat
(7) Economy Gold always gets Group 1 or 2 if holding credit card

Last edited by NDN; Jun 10, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by NDN

Aisle = 1
Middle = 2
Window = 3
Credit Card = 1
Silver = 1
Gold = 2
Platinum = 3
1k = 5
First Class = 5
Business class = 4

Group 1 = 6+ points
Group 2 = 4 or 5 points
Group 3 = 3 points
Group 4 = 2 points
Group 5 = 1 point

Passenger Examples:

(4) Economy Gold cannot get Group 1 unless in a window seat and holding credit card
(6) Non-Elite credit card holders in Economy cannot get Group 2 without window seat
I love it (and before anyone else posts and complains that it's too complicated, remember that this would all be done behind the scenes automatically by the computer), but can you imagine the wailing that will go on when a Plat has to board with Group 2 or a credit card holder has to board with Group 4?!?!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:19 pm
NDN

Originally Posted by jackal
I love it (and before anyone else posts and complains that it's too complicated, remember that this would all be done behind the scenes automatically by the computer), but can you imagine the wailing that will go on when a Plat has to board with Group 2 or a credit card holder has to board with Group 4?!?!
I wrote the system based on a few tenants:

(1) 1k should always get group 1.
(2) Credit card holders should not automatically get the same status as an elite.
(3) There should be incentives for holding the credit card as an elite.
(4) Preserve as much of the Window-Middle-Aisle boarding order as possible to speed up boarding.

UA Platinum is a tier that many other airlines don't offer. Any chance at Group-1 boarding for them is a bonus over other airlines. Elite passengers under this system can more easily get Group 2 boarding than a credit card holder, and Silver elite can outdo a credit card holder by just also getting the credit card.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NDN

Aisle = 1
Middle = 2
Window = 3
Credit Card = 1
Silver = 1
Gold = 2
Platinum = 3
1k = 5
First Class = 5
Business class = 4

Group 1 = 6+ points
Group 2 = 4 or 5 points
Group 3 = 3 points
Group 4 = 2 points
Group 5 = 1 point

Passenger Examples:

This is pretty great! I like it - despite the lack of transparency (to the un-initiated).

I just cancelled my MP card cause I don't get any real benefits from it as an elite. This could improve retention on the cards, too
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by NDN
Makes perfect sense to me in principle. May need further review and tweaking, but great idea.

Unfortunately, that probably means that it doesn't have much of a chance of becoming reality.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
While not UA, and while many here believe that UA follows everything DL does, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Many of the reasons identified in this thread indicate that its their carry on that motivates the scrum to the front of the line. What if your bag was already placed on board for you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/delta...-boarding.html
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:50 pm
NDN

Originally Posted by JC5280
While not UA, and while many here believe that UA follows everything DL does, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Many of the reasons identified in this thread indicate that its their carry on that motivates the scrum to the front of the line. What if your bag was already placed on board for you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/delta...-boarding.html
I would welcome this service actually. If my bag were already placed on the plane, I would not care about when I board. If anything, I would wan to board LAST. That said, if overhead capacity is 100 bags, but there are 120 passengers with bags, if the crew collects 120 bags, will that mean 20 passengers will board the plane and find that their bags were checked?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:45 pm

Good luck though trying to explain to passengers why they got the boarding group they did. It would also cause confusion if say someone was group 1 once and then group 2 another time
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yeah, I don't think these are realistic. People really value certainty about what is going to happen when they travel.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
do you believe that SHARES can handle it accurately, 100% of the time?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Card, Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Good luck though trying to explain to passengers why they got the boarding group they did. It would also cause confusion if say someone was group 1 once and then group 2 another time
I am one of the confused. I am United Gold and flew from MRY (small airport) to LAX in May, then to Cabo San Lucas. I also have a Pres Plus card. I was upgraded to biz class on both outbound and inbound (I think), but the small shuttle flight from MRY to LAX and back was all coach class.

In MRY, I did not look at my boarding pass and assumed that I was in boarding group 1. However, it turns out that I was in boarding group 2. At least half of the plane boarded before me, and I seriously doubt that they were all Platinum elite level flyers or over. It was embarassing because I tried boarding and was rudely told by the GA to move over to the side. My boarding pass says group 2.

For both longer flights LAX-SJD and back, my boarding pass says Group 1. I have the boarding passes in front of me. Why would I be Group 1 for these flights, and Group 2 for the shorter shuttle flights?

I did buy a coach ticket, so I can understand that I would be Group 2 for ALL flights. But I don't understand why half the flight from MRY to LAX was ahead of me.

It's not that big a deal, but embarassing to be berated by the GA (I have bad hearing and did not hear what she said initially, so she rudely and impatiently told me that I needed to step aside for the others to board first.

Knowing what to expect makes the arduous process of flying far more tolerable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.