Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 110pgl
....Have kids? Bring multiple bags and board early!)

UA does not pre-board families with children.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
UA does not pre-board families with children.
You might want to tell that to the last dozen gate agents I've encountered... I've seen more than a handful even actively encourage passengers with children/strollers to board during the "those needing a little more time down the jetway" phase of pre-boarding.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:48 am Reason: Fixed misplaced apostrophe (it was really bothering me)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
You might want to tell that to the last dozen gate agent's I've encountered... I've seen more than a handful even actively encourage passengers with children/strollers to board during the "those needing a little more time down the jetway" phase of pre-boarding.
Do you have a standard route you fly? I haven't seen this in years. I don't really care if they do it or not, but I do think it slows boarding down if all the families with strollers and babies go first. Much faster when they just board according to their group.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
Do you have a standard route you fly? I haven't seen this in years. I don't really care if they do it or not, but I do think it slows boarding down if all the families with strollers and babies go first. Much faster when they just board according to their group.
I've been spending a lot of time in Florida (MIA/MCO/JAX) of late but no standard routes so to speak -- I'm kind of all over the place.

I don't mind if it's one or two but in a "family heavy" place like MCO it feels like it takes an eternity
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:47 am

I've been spending a lot of time in Florida (MIA/MCO/JAX) of late but no standard routes so to speak -- I'm kind of all over the place.

I don't mind if it's one or two but in a "family heavy" place like MCO it feels like it takes an eternity
And add 'comfort animals' to the list. It seems now I am seeing 1-2 per flight. And they board first as well.

(I have to get me one of those. Do stuffed animals count? )
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

LOL...might as well go sit in the lounge for 30 mins if they do that at MCO!

I truly haven't seen that in a long time. I wonder if its' starting to return. On my last flight (LAX-ORD) I recall they specifically mentioned people who are "disabled, needing extra time" as I was near the GA desk and there was a gentleman who truly did qualify that boarded with his wife.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can think of three friends I've had meals/coffee with in the past week who used the Explorer card to pay and who are not UA elites.
...and how often do they use their 'Premier Access' benefit to get into group #2 on UA? Like I said, UA tells me that there are an average of one or two such non-elite credit card holding passengers on any given flight.

Originally Posted by greg99
Personally, having looked at a bunch of boarding passes when I was Gold (admittedly back in 2013), there were a bunch of non-Premier passengers in Group 2.
I think you should get mad at UA for selling group 2 via 'Premier Access' as people who buy that are nt going to be Premier members.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 31, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
What I'd be interested in seeing is the amount of time it takes to turn around a plane now vs. before baggage fees. It certainly seems like boarding takes about 20% longer now if not more, but I'd love to see some stats on it. Boarding a full 738 now takes at least 30-40 min because of all the hassle with and going up and against the traffic flow to get bin space and get to their seats. I remember with pmCO they would have no trouble boarding a 738 in 20-30 min because nobody was bringing on massive carry-ons. I think it would be interesting to see the effects of eliminating bag fees would have on boarding time, and if this could result in adding an extra quick run for an aircraft during the day. For example, if you put a 739 on CLE-ORD all day or other <500mile routes, not too many people check bags on a route like that (mostly business people on short trips), UA probably brings in less than $1500 in bag fees on a leg like that. If you cut 10-15 min of boarding time on each leg by not charging bag fees, only allowing small totes through security, you can add at least 1-2 extra legs throughout the day. 150-200 passengers at ~200-300 r/t is a lot more money than some bag fees even after the extra costs of running 1 or 2 more legs.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Saw family board early on July 29

I flew JFK-LAX on Wednesday (7/29) and saw a family with young kids board before everyone else. I was kind of surprised because I usually don't see that. It is possible that they were GS but it looks like they were specifically let in. GS were called later right before Group 1 (as usual).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
I flew JFK-LAX on Wednesday (7/29) and saw a family with young kids board before everyone else. I was kind of surprised because I usually don't see that. It is possible that they were GS but it looks like they were specifically let in. GS were called later right before Group 1 (as usual).
A month ago it happened in Boston... then another family came up... then another... then GS was called as the first group. We were delayed in boarding because the first family wanted to sit together and decided to wait until right before boarding to ask.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nycityny

I saw this recently at OGG, and I agreed with the GA's discretion. Mother alone with 3 under 3........a 2 year old and twins in a stroller. She was assisted down the jetway.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
At SFO on Friday afternoon, the gate agent called for disabled, then military, then Global Services, but then called for first class passengers. After that, he then called for group 1 to board. Never noticed it done that way before.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by MattR23
At SFO on Friday afternoon, the gate agent called for disabled, then military, then Global Services, but then called for first class passengers. After that, he then called for group 1 to board. Never noticed it done that way before.

Rogue GA.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:03 am

It's amazing how often this simple process isn't followed properly. I'll write in whenever I encounter it and I just checked my outbox, I did it 14 times YTD.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Flying 6 intra-EU flights in the month of July I sort of wished for the chutes.
At least then the lice have a little bit more order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.