Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by photoagent101
I am one of the confused. I am United Gold and flew from MRY (small airport) to LAX in May, then to Cabo San Lucas. I also have a Pres Plus card. I was upgraded to biz class on both outbound and inbound (I think), but the small shuttle flight from MRY to LAX and back was all coach class.

In MRY, I did not look at my boarding pass and assumed that I was in boarding group 1. However, it turns out that I was in boarding group 2. At least half of the plane boarded before me, and I seriously doubt that they were all Platinum elite level flyers or over. It was embarassing because I tried boarding and was rudely told by the GA to move over to the side. My boarding pass says group 2.

For both longer flights LAX-SJD and back, my boarding pass says Group 1. I have the boarding passes in front of me. Why would I be Group 1 for these flights, and Group 2 for the shorter shuttle flights?

I did buy a coach ticket, so I can understand that I would be Group 2 for ALL flights. But I don't understand why half the flight from MRY to LAX was ahead of me.

It's not that big a deal, but embarassing to be berated by the GA (I have bad hearing and did not hear what she said initially, so she rudely and impatiently told me that I needed to step aside for the others to board first.

Knowing what to expect makes the arduous process of flying far more tolerable.
You were in Group 2 because you are seated in Economy and UA Gold. Per the wiki at the top: Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

You were in Group 1 on your other flights because you were in First to Cabo.

Your flights down the line have nothing to do with your boarding group.

I fly out of MRY and you can have a few of elites on the CRJ who would board before you, also while it says "Uniformed Military Personnel" I've seen plenty of times where they let DLI/Presidio people board as long as they have some sort of military looking accoutrement.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by photoagent101
In MRY, I did not look at my boarding pass and assumed that I was in boarding group 1.
I think we've identified the problem here
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by NDN
How about a points system?

Aisle = 1
Middle = 2
Window = 3
Credit Card = 1
Silver = 1
Gold = 2
Platinum = 3
1k = 5
First Class = 5
Business class = 4

Preboarding = GS, military, disabled
Group 1 = 6+ points
Group 2 = 4 or 5 points
Group 3 = 3 points
Group 4 = 2 points
Group 5 = 1 point

Passenger Examples:
silver, has credit card, and sitting in the middle = 4 points, Group 2
silver, no credit card, and sitting in middle = 3 points, Group 3
gold, has credit card, sitting in window seat = 6 points, Group 1

Under this system, the following are true:

(1) 1K and first class always get Group 1
(2) Platinum needs help to get Group 1 (needs 3 more points)
(3) Economy Platinum cannot get Group 1 in an aisle seat
(4) Economy Gold cannot get Group 1 unless in a window seat and holding credit card
(5) Economy Silver cannot get Group 1
(6) Non-Elite credit card holders in Economy cannot get Group 2 without window seat
(7) Economy Gold always gets Group 1 or 2 if holding credit card
Ridiculous. You think someone who potentially only flies 1x per year should board before a silver who has logged 30+ segments and $3000 spend, just because they booked a window seat and the silver picked an aisle?

IMO non elites and CC holders should always have to board in a later group than elites, unless they are in first. Whatever happened to truly rewarding loyalty? And by loyalty I don't mean filling out a CC app.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Are the boarding groups different based on aircraft/UX/Airport? Flew out of YYZ the other day on UX as *G in Y and I got group 1

Last edited by DreamHigh; Jun 29, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:35 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Are the boarding groups different based on aircraft/UX/Airport? Flew out of YYZ the other day on UX as *G in Y and I got group 1
Isn't UX Air Europa?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NDN
Isn't UX Air Europa?
UX is also flyertalk shorthand for United Express, i.e. United regional partners.

To my knowledge, it shouldn't be different by station or mainline vs. express. I just flew out of YYZ last night and group 1 seemed to be first class and those of us (raises hand) who did not get upgraded. Then again, I wasn't exactly checking BP's, but I think I was the only on in Group 1 not in F.

Sometimes I've noticed on UX when it's a very small plane or very light loads, they'll just call all premier access/groups 1 and 2 at the same time.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Sometimes I've noticed on UX when it's a very small plane or very light loads, they'll just call all premier access/groups 1 and 2 at the same time.
Yup I've seen this when flying to or from BFE
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
What i saw was my boarding pass with group 1 on it
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Question Boarding Group Number; is it included in the barcode?

Just curious, but does anyone know for sure if the printed group number on your boarding pass is encoded into the barcode? I've noticed that some people will jump the line and board with a higher number. So are we depending on the gate agent to visually look at the group number and then deny "line-jumpers," or when they scan the BP, will it show the agent the boarding group?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Just curious, but does anyone know for sure if the printed group number on your boarding pass is encoded into the barcode? I've noticed that some people will jump the line and board with a higher number. So are we depending on the gate agent to visually look at the group number and then deny "line-jumpers," or when they scan the BP, will it show the agent the boarding group?
There's some sort of coding, because I've heard people get a different beep (including my family when boarding with me). Of course the agent may exercise discretion to let the person proceed anyway.

(Not sure if the coding is directly in the BP or if it's just a connection between passenger info and that gives the rejection sound).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
There's some sort of coding, because I've heard people get a different beep (including my family when boarding with me). Of course the agent may exercise discretion to let the person proceed anyway.

(Not sure if the coding is directly in the BP or if it's just a connection between passenger info and that gives the rejection sound).
The only different beep people get (I believe) is when it's an exit row. Presumably they verify that you are not 3 years old or in a wheel chair and then send you on your way.

My SO regularly board with me in my group and the agents don't do anything nor does she get a different boop.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:17 pm

First time poster. Have looked through the forum and cannot find an answer to this question. Does anyone know why the group of individuals I travel with (myself included) are always Group 1 on United? Group consists of a Air Canada 100 K and 2 Air Canada 50 K. Find it interesting considering Star Alliance Gold are supposed to be designated group two. Fairly certain it is widespread considering it has not been a one off glitch/has been consistent throughout the last year and half. Furthermore, Group 1 boarding from ORD to YYZ on Thursday nights is packed with AC frequent flyers. Anyone know?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:25 pm

Are you flying business/first class on any of your legs?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:29 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by PistolPete33
First time poster. Have looked through the forum and cannot find an answer to this question. Does anyone know why the group of individuals I travel with (myself included) are always Group 1 on United? Group consists of a Air Canada 100 K and 2 Air Canada 50 K. Find it interesting considering Star Alliance Gold are supposed to be designated group two. Fairly certain it is widespread considering it has not been a one off glitch/has been consistent throughout the last year and half. Furthermore, Group 1 boarding from ORD to YYZ on Thursday nights is packed with AC frequent flyers. Anyone know?
Are the flights booked on a corporate rate/account?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PistolPete33
DreamHigh observed the same thing with his AC *G status and group 1 on YYZ-ORD. Don't have an answer for you, but it must be a thing.

Originally Posted by drewguy

I've definitely noticed that the scanner now shows boarding group and have observed people in latter groups getting a different beep, their own boarding group showing on the scanner, and being sent back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.