Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
737-800 DEN-ANC last night:

20 minutes from the first person in Group 1 to the last person to board the aircraft on a 95%-ish full flight. There was a bit of a pause at the end before a small group of 10 or so got on--maybe standbys or latecomers or something, so I'd say the actual boarding process (of a solid line of people coming down the jetway) took more like 16-18 minutes.

I was in F, and I will say that the line of people seemed to be in pretty constant motion--people weren't really standing still in the aisle waiting for traffic to clear up ahead.

At ANC we boarded a nearly-full PMUA 752 in 14 minutes on Sunday afternoon. We still left late (MX issue). No GS boarded, and Group 1 was fairly small.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
yes, either thru design (an agreement with Chase?) or by mistake, UA either does not view the group 2 insanity as a problem or does not want to fix it. I am not hopeful in the short term because, we have seen in other areas, the new management does not acknowledge errors very well. AA seems to handle the credit card people more reasonably; giving them priority, but behind elites. I remain confused. The new revenue requirements will just make group 2 even larger. Not fun.
And the explorer card benefits page still says priority boarding after premiers yet UA lumped them into group 2. So, as they shaft elite fliers they give CC holder better benefits than they are supposed to get. Way to go UA.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I remember a time when I was happy to board as a premier. The cc holders should definitely be after elites.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Baze
Are you Global Services? If so then UA does recognize you spend more and you do get to pre board ahead of group 1. If not then UA doesn't think you spend enough to warrant boarding ahead of group 1. And 75 segments doesn't get you Group 1, takes 90 if doing it on segments.
OK. I am GS- what is consensus on proper boarding protocol when two, three or four FC non-GS PAX are standing in the queue ahead of me? Is a polite "excuse me" sufficient? Am I "entitled" to go ahead [hate that word-sorry]?Last week, while trying to board EWR/MXP flight, I did that and got an ugly comment that "I'm in Business".

Looking for guidance

Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS, 1.5 MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
OK. I am GS- what is consensus on proper boarding protocol when two, three or four FC non-GS PAX are standing in the queue ahead of me? Is a polite "excuse me" sufficient? Am I "entitled" to go ahead [hate that word-sorry]?Last week, while trying to board EWR/MXP flight, I did that and got an ugly comment that "I'm in Business".

Looking for guidance

In my experience you have to go around or under the ropes if boarding a wide body or push your way through. If someone gave me the "I'm in business" BS I would either ignore them, or say "so I'm GS and I get to board before you" or "not impressed", depending on my mood.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by UA2PEK
In my experience you have to go around or under the ropes if boarding a wide body or push your way through. If someone gave me the "I'm in business" BS I would either ignore them, or say "so I'm GS and I get to board before you" or "not impressed", depending on my mood.
My new modus operandi: If the GA isn't too busy before boarding, I quietly ask, "Where would you prefer GS to wait for boarding?" More times than not I'm asked to wait somewhere that's not in the Group 1 line, and the GA just motions me over when it's time. This works especially well in ORD for international widebodies, where sometimes there's also a dedicated GS agent who forms a separate queue.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Looking for guidance

Yes, excuse me is enough. If you are challenged then you can tell them you're GS. in your scenario
I would reply and say "then you must know that GS boards before business"
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp

Looking for guidance

This question has come up numerous times in this thread, when the GA doesn't make a pre-boarding call for GS and military members. As others mentioned, probably talking with a GA will be the most diplomatic way of going about it, rather than confronting other passengers in Group 1. I think UA should pre-board GF passengers along with GS members, but United doesn't value their GF passengers as other airlines do.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:21 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

Is it really that big of a deal? Can you not live with being the 5th or 6th person to board?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Yesterday I flew US Airways Express, where I'm zone 1 as a *G - ahead of US Air's own cardholders. (Granted, I didn't need early boarding, as my bag doesn't fit overhead on an E-Jet.)

Compare this to UA, whose Golds board with cardholders and *S. It really stings when an alliance partner treats you better than your own airline.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: United
22 flights this year and boarding group five

I just started business travel last year and feel really burned by this new procedure. I called customer service and actually received a mailed letter stating I have immediate silver status. Issue is, they didn't actually give me silver in the system so I'm stuck in group 5 and checking my bag every time.

I'll get silver soon enough but I'm really wondering if United is the Best choice, I played the customer support circles this morning and between the one lady that immediately transferred me and the other girl who didn't know how the mute button worked on her headset I'm concerned on what will happen to me if I ever get stranded.

My 1K friend referred me to this site, does anyone know a 'good' cust support number to call to get this worked out? This new boarding policy is adding a few extra hours to my flights when the opt to fully check the bag and I'm strongly considering just getting the delta card and jumping ship.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bosche
I just started business travel last year and feel really burned by this new procedure. I called customer service and actually received a mailed letter stating I have immediate silver status. Issue is, they didn't actually give me silver in the system so I'm stuck in group 5 and checking my bag every time.

My 1K friend referred me to this site, does anyone know a 'good' cust support number to call to get this worked out? This new boarding policy is adding a few extra hours to my flights when the opt to fully check the bag and I'm strongly considering just getting the delta card and jumping ship.
FT policy isn't to give out CS numbers publicly.

As for being Silver, what happens when you look up your status in your account? If not Silver there, then call the MileagePlus Service CEnter.

As for "adding a few extra hours" - that's for you to mitigate. Just gate-check your bag upfront if the flight is full - the GA will thank you for it, and you save the $25 you're paying now (if not being treated as Silver).

nb: I'm a 1K, and I check bags every single time. Adds at most 10 minutes to my check-in time upfront, and 20-25 at the end. Half an hour total.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K

I'll get silver soon enough but I'm really wondering if United is the Best choice, I played the customer support circles this morning and between the one lady that immediately transferred me and the other girl who didn't know how the mute button worked on her headset I'm concerned on what will happen to me if I ever get stranded.

I'm very, very confused.

How would the old system have treated you better? What does it have to do with checking a bag?

You should call again about the Silver thing. But I don't quite understand how not getting something that was a free accommodation, and that most airlines wouldn't give you, has you so hot and bothered.

If you want BG2, you can just get the credit card.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
...I'm strongly considering just getting the delta card and jumping ship.
Or why not get the Explorer Card from United?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I don't mind walking around the Group 1 line

Some of you may simply think that I am just one of those who feels "entitled" and so be it. It is my opinion that having earned my GS status by traveling too much, missing family obligations, having to hear that my dog died over the phone because I couldn't be there that if I am given the opportunity to pre-board, I take it.

I like being able to NOT have to wait in line, walk on comfortably and place my things where I want them.

When there is a queue forming, I try to talk with a GA and ask if they prefer me to stand back or close to the front, or if I should approach when they make the announcement. Otherwise, I simply walk past the people that have lined up and ask nicely if any of them are GS and if not, I say "excuse me" and I walk through.

I will say that in the airports that I frequent often (EWR, LGA, JFK and LHR) the GS agents know me by name or face and actually wave me up or come get me and pre-board (often before the announcement that pre-boarding has begun).

Looking for guidance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.