Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Beat me to the punch...

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why would it, by design, try charging you again?
makes no sense to me, but I'm willing to see it in a way i have not considered...they already have my $$ for the first seat, and frankly i don't trust the subsequent refund will happen easily without me having to go thru a bunch of nonsense to get it.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Boarding Group 2 continues out of control

I realize this has been discussed many times, but I think this was worth sharing.

[IMG][/IMG]

At EWR this morning for EWR-SFO UA 1178. I took this picture when I got to the gate one hour before flight departure. There were 19 people already in line for BG 2. Note that there is no one in any of the other boarding lanes. And this was a 753, which means 24 FC seats + (non FC) 1K’s + Plats in BG1. Ten minutes later, when scheduled boarding began, there were around 30 in BG2, more than any of the other lanes.

If balancing the loads between BG’s was the plan, it’s not working.
I’m fine with GS, then FC/GF+Biz+1K+Plat boarding first, but it’s time to break out BG2 into Gold+Silver first, then credit cards and any other purchased priority.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
... At EWR this morning for EWR-SFO UA 1178. I took this picture when I got to the gate one hour before flight departure. There were 19 people already in line for BG 2. Note that there is no one in any of the other boarding lanes. And this was a 753, which means 24 FC seats + (non FC) 1K’s + Plats in BG1. Ten minutes later, when scheduled boarding began, there were around 30 in BG2, more than any of the other lanes. ...
Lol I've found all it takes is one person to line up and the lemmings can't resist the urge to follow....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 8:07 pm Reason: No need to quote large image
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k

I’m fine with GS, then FC/GF+Biz+1K+Plat boarding first, but it’s time to break out BG2 into Gold+Silver first, then credit cards and any other purchased priority.
balancing loads was never the intent. (nor should it be)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 8:06 pm Reason: No need to quote large image
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
LOL. Great picture to sum up what I see every time I'm on the road. G1, in my experience, never seems to be the issue (for most, not all, flights) but G2 on the other hand...

My favorite is when this scene takes place at an airport like SAN with a combined 1-2 lane and none of the 2's want to get out of line. Then when they go to board you have to weave in and out of everyone to get up to the door.

I don't really mind the boarding process other then those combined lanes, which are disasters. RJ flights are one thing, but mainline at a place like SAN, a few IAH C gates, or certain ORD gates (the high end of C) is a cluster.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
LOL. Great picture to sum up what I see every time I'm on the road. G1, in my experience, never seems to be the issue (for most, not all, flights) but G2 on the other hand...

My favorite is when this scene takes place at an airport like SAN with a combined 1-2 lane and none of the 2's want to get out of line. Then when they go to board you have to weave in and out of everyone to get up to the door.

I don't really mind the boarding process other then those combined lanes, which are disasters. RJ flights are one thing, but mainline at a place like SAN, a few IAH C gates, or certain ORD gates (the high end of C) is a cluster.
My experience out of SF (PS and international flights extra special in this regard) is that G1 is the disaster. It's really the single most salient (though not the most impt) indication of the devaluation in 1K benefits.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
My experience out of SF (PS and international flights extra special in this regard) is that G1 is the disaster. It's really the single most salient (though not the most impt) indication of the devaluation in 1K benefits.
Understandable from an SF point of view. Being in Florida now, G1 is definitely lighter then what I was used to. G2 still has elites but plenty of the 1-2x/year travelers with their CC that want to make sure they get their boarding benefit, but the majority of the plane definitely still appears to be G3-5. Compared to my typical CLE-ORD every week I used to be on (when half the plane is G1-2), it's kind of refreshing!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:50 pm

At EWR this morning for EWR-SFO UA 1178. I took this picture when I got to the gate one hour before flight departure. There were 19 people already in line for BG 2. Note that there is no one in any of the other boarding lanes. And this was a 753, which means 24 FC seats + (non FC) 1K’s + Plats in BG1. Ten minutes later, when scheduled boarding began, there were around 30 in BG2, more than any of the other lanes.

I don't think that green backpack will fit in the carry on luggage sizer. His carry on will I think.

Group II is better then III,IV;V but a real dis for Platinums.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thai2541
As an older person, walking slowly with a cane, I appreciate preboarding, but all too frequently I have been bumped and pushed by GS passengers rushing past me down the jetway. Even when I request a wheelchair, some try to squeeze by. Not sure if that is DYKWIA or not.
If you were boarding a 319 and the GS was sitting in F, he/she might have been in a hurry to claim the limited overhead space in that cabin.

On my BZN-DEN flight yesterday, when we boarded, there was only one open regular sized bin left in F, and only two seats occupied at that point. We had a large contingent of pre-boards on that flight, and some of them clearly dropped their luggage off on their way to their seats.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
I don't think that green backpack will fit in the carry on luggage sizer. His carry on will I think.

Group II is better then III,IV;V but a real dis for Platinums.
Plats still get in with g1
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Why so many GS flying to/from MFR

I've been amazed the last few months that every time I board as a GS between SFO and MFR, several people get on with me. It's a little hard to believe that 3 or 4 out of 45 passengers on a plane to Podunk are all GS.

After asking a bit, it appears that there are a bunch of people who think that because the sign says "Group 1" right below Global Services that they are the same thing. The GAs in SFO occasionally stop these folks. The ones in MFR never do.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
If you were boarding a 319 and the GS was sitting in F, he/she might have been in a hurry to claim the limited overhead space in that cabin.

On my BZN-DEN flight yesterday, when we boarded, there was only one open regular sized bin left in F, and only two seats occupied at that point. We had a large contingent of pre-boards on that flight, and some of them clearly dropped their luggage off on their way to their seats.
I've noticed some many of the FAs have gotten more vigilant about "guarding" FC overheads over the last year or so -- few will actually call someone out on it (but it's so nice when they do) but things like closing the bins before they're full if the cabin isn't full yet, "evicting" "misplaced" bags if someone shows up for FC and there's no room in the overhead...even using the "Customer Care Kit" and/or blankets to make space look occupied and relocating them as FC pax show up.

Although I only use the bins when I'm in a bulkhead or traveling with high-value demo gear (2-3x per year) I really appreciate those FAs that look out for the cabin...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:09 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I realize this has been discussed many times, but I think this was worth sharing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Something TERRIBLE happened to that guy's head!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by NDN
Something TERRIBLE happened to that guy's head!
Beattlejuice! Beattlejuice! Beattlejuice!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Boarding Group does change with seat change...

Originally Posted by WhiteOut
This was weird -- never had this happen to me before. Is this normal?

...I was assigned an E+ (paid) seat which, at the time of booking was the last one left on a window and boarding group 3. About 20-30 mins before boarding, I kept an eye on the seat list to look for an aisle to open up. Sure enough, as soon as one did I had the GA switch me to the aisle seat...
GA switched me to the new seat no problem, then when my BP refreshed in the app, I also noticed my boarding group had changed to group 5.

I had never seen a seat change in the same cabin section result in a Boarding Group change...I don.t really care, but just thought it was odd and curious why that would happen.
This is normal and it makes sense. Window = boarding group 3, Aisle = boarding group 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.