Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by why fly
Well I have a choice
Fly Thursday Oct 17 lax or SFO- SYD
Fly Friday Oct 18 LAX or SFO- SYD
Today there are MORE seats "open" for upgrades BOTH flights on Fri! there are even way more E+ seats on both those flights on Fri... so should I book my flights for Fri or Thursday?
today looking at seat availability Fir sure seems better.

I have been doing this route on UA several times a year for at least 9 +years.
IMHO both Thursday & Friday are not good from LAX or SFO.
Many US based Multi nationals have corporate contracts with United. Thus even middle Management fly Business. Typically on Friday to be in OZ by Sunday, and ready for work on Monday.
Many even have employees fly on Thursday, giving the employees’ weekend to rest.
BTW, these Business travel bookings are typically firmed up 2-3 weeks prior.
For October too early.

Large percentage both Business & Leisure travellers, will cough up $$$$ for LMU . Even leisure travellers. Especially Aussie based. More so in past couple of years due to strong A$.

I never waitlist this route. I only book if there is R available.

My observations having monitored this route for past few years : R space opens up months ahead 12-10 months or 1-2 weeks prior on this route
Nor do I travel this route on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jun 9, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I posted this on the GPU thread and would be interested in thoughts.

I'm booking a flight for 2 with my wife from BOS to SYD in October and my dates are fixed b/c I'm meeting friends, etc. I have two options:

1. I'm 1K on United with a bunch of GPUS. I could book a E or M fare (E = ~$2900; M = $3400) connecting through SFO and hope for an ugprade. So just looking at SFO-SYD-SFO

From SFO to SYD (on a Sunday) the inventory shows: F9, FN9, A9, ON6, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

FROM SYD TO SFO (on a Wed) inventory is: F9, FN9, A9, ON9, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN0, X0

Problem here is I'm rolling the dice with getting an UG and it sounds like its pretty tough (at least for a a Sunday for SFO to SYD)

2. Or, I can book premium economy on Quantas for about $3700 b/c of a sale they are running. I could get PE on either a 747 or their A380. Not as great as getting UG with United, but at least its a certain thing.

Would you guys take a chance on United or take the certain thing with Quantas?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Large percentage both Business & Leisure travellers, will cough up $$$$ for LMU . Even leisure travellers. Especially Aussie based. More so in past couple of years due to strong A$.

I never waitlist this route. I only book if there is R available.

How far in advance do you look? This year R availability seems all over the place. From Feb to April this year nothing, then suddenly sporadic R opens up for Sept, usu Sunday, Tues, Wed.
I have Expert Flier alerts out...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Don't Count on Upgrade Without R Inventory

My two cents: if you have to fly in Business, don't chance a GPU unless you can get it with R inventory at booking.

I barely, by the skin of my teeth, cleared SFO-SYD recently on a Friday flight, and if I hadn't called the 1K line to have them manually do it, I wouldn't have cleared at all.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by dmc225325
Problem here is I'm rolling the dice with getting an UG and it sounds like its pretty tough (at least for a a Sunday for SFO to SYD)

2. Or, I can book premium economy on Quantas for about $3700 b/c of a sale they are running. I could get PE on either a 747 or their A380. Not as great as getting UG with United, but at least its a certain thing.

Would you guys take a chance on United or take the certain thing with Quantas?
We have found availability on Sundays: it gets you there Tuesday. And Wednesday should be doable: middle of the week....so there is hope. Have never done Qantas. Have you looked at Air Newzealand? Reports are that their premium economy is really great, tho you do change in AKL, and that may make it too long a trip?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Advice needed on SYD upgrade

I have a flight in two weeks from SFO-SYD that I am wait listed for BF on a GPU. Problem is that there are not too many seats in BF available (no surprise...)
I spoke with UA and, although they could not tell me the exact number of BF seats available, they suggested that I change to the LAX-SYD flight as it had over double the number of seats in BF available.
I know that the seat map is not accurate to tell the number of seats available, but looking at the two flight, there does seem to be a lot more on the LAX flight. Would you gamble and change flights?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You've answered your own question. The seat map and $3 gets you a 20oz coffee at a well known chain. But, you've spoken with UA and been told useful information. Why not use it?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I have had more upgrade luck LAX to SYD than SFO to SYD.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zigenbock
I have a flight in two weeks from SFO-SYD that I am wait listed for BF on a GPU. Problem is that there are not too many seats in BF available (no surprise...)
I spoke with UA and, although they could not tell me the exact number of BF seats available, they suggested that I change to the LAX-SYD flight as it had over double the number of seats in BF available.
I know that the seat map is not accurate to tell the number of seats available, but looking at the two flight, there does seem to be a lot more on the LAX flight. Would you gamble and change flights?
If LAX-SYD seems to have more paid availability IMHO I would go that route. In 2013 Australian School Holidays 25June-20th July.
LAX-SYD route if your travel dates are during the Australian School Holidays Odd are not good. SFO-SYD odds are better.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jun 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by paulyras
The best part of this is that you both get the domestic upgrades and your money / miles back if the overwater segment doesn't clear. There's absolutely no downside to applying and taking the confirmed domestic upgrades (except it ties up money / miles, and you have to watch to ensure they're actually redeposited if the upgrade doesn't clear).
Just to clear any doubts in my mind. Is this true as long as your domestic flights are on Domestic First? If you connect onto a p.s. transcon it's considered BF which means you wouldn't get the refund, right?

Also, what are the average prices for an LMU on SYD-LAX/SFO?

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Just to clear any doubts in my mind. Is this true as long as your domestic flights are on Domestic First? If you connect onto a p.s. transcon it's considered BF which means you wouldn't get the refund, right?

Also, what are the average prices for an LMU on SYD-LAX/SFO?

Cheers.
Interesting question. I would say p.s. would still be Domestic Business for GPU "counting" purposes, as a GPU isn't needed to upgrade, only an RPU. Kind of like HNL.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
The exact rule is :

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
So the question is, is p.s. "Business" or "BusinessFirst". Officially, on the new 2-class planes it's BusinessFirst, but on the older 3-class it's still Business.

So officially at least, if the upgrade clears on a 2-class p.s. flight, then your GPU is considered used, even if the over-water segment didn't. You could probably talk them into swapping the GPU for an RPU after the fact...

Originally Posted by aacharya
Interesting question. I would say p.s. would still be Domestic Business for GPU "counting" purposes, as a GPU isn't needed to upgrade, only an RPU. Kind of like HNL.
But not for CPU, and in effect them returning the GPU to you is the equivalent of them admitting that you likely would have got the upgrade with a CPU.

Last edited by docbert; Jul 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
So the question is, is p.s. "Business" or "BusinessFirst". Officially, on the new 2-class planes it's BusinessFirst . . . .
They do call it "ps BusinessFirst" on the website (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...mservices.aspx), so I agree, they're going to burn the GPU if it clears.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by docbert
So the question is, is p.s. "Business" or "BusinessFirst". ....
They do call it "ps BusinessFirst" on the website (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...mservices.aspx), so I agree, they're going to burn the GPU if it clears.
PS is presently sold and booked as business not BF - no protection under the BF upgrade rule.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Upgrading US <-> Australia?

There's a fairly strong possibility that I may have to make some business trips to Australia later this year/early next year. Since my company won't pay for business class fares, does anyone have any advice about which *A carrier and/or which airport combinations might offer the highest possibility of being able to snag an upgrade with miles (Gold for now, so no instruments)? That's a pretty long haul, even in E+ ;-). Any advice on aircraft to be avoided (;-)) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.