Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My wife and I are booked SYD-LAX a long time from now (Jan 6, 2016 - a Wednesday). What's the chance of getting upgraded on a V fare? The MP upgrade cleared automatically on the LAX-JFK continuation leg, so hoping to get lucky here...
That's absolute peak season for SYD-US. A lot of the folks who celebrate xmas and new years in SYD will be flying home that week. My guess is that if you get the upgrade, you'll get it far in advance, rather than close to departure. Especially as Platinum.

I actually flew SYD-SFO on Wed or Thu of the first week in Jan this year. The UA flights were so booked out 1-2 weeks in advance, I ended up flying C on AC instead. I would have bought Z/P/D, but only a few C/J seats were available. UA also had a series of cancellations that week, but that happened after I wanted to buy tickets.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
it seems IMHO that upgrades have become easier to SYD and MEL the last year. ^
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by flybit
it seems IMHO that upgrades have become easier to SYD and MEL the last year. ^
GPUs or mileage plus copayment?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
GPUs or mileage plus copayment?
Should not matter --- but rather status, fare, time of request.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Should not matter --- but rather status, fare, time of request.
I purchased a LAX-MEL ticket in economy back in January, requested upgrade the same day, got notified of being a winner about 10 days later. Travel is for mid April, I'm silver elite.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by carltoncl
I purchased a LAX-MEL ticket in economy back in January, requested upgrade the same day, got notified of being a winner about 10 days later. Travel is for mid April, I'm silver elite.
Mileage upgrade?

Just got an email from UA touting their new Dreamliner LAX-MEL service.

But do you buy an economy fare thinking you have a good chance to get an upgrade?

Otherwise, you end up in coach for 15 hours and supposedly 787 coach may be worse than on older planes?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by carltoncl
Which day in April? I was upgraded 4/16.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Flew on 11th June MEL-LAX. Was out of GPUs, but got OP-UP'd instead on an L-fare. Didn't even happen at the gate. I got the upgrade upon checking in 2.5 hours before departure. I think at least 10 or so others did as well as C looked 2/3 booked at the 24 hour point. E seemed to be heavily oversold. There were a few C seats not taken though.

It's really hard to tell if an upgrade will go through or not if you don't have R space on booking. I'm 2 of 4 on MEL-LAX (or LAX-MEL) with GPUs. I barely got one of them too, as the upgrade came when I was already seated in E+ and the agent came by. It was a pricey fare too (E-fare), so something like a W, V or Q would not have been enough.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by briank1973

It's really hard to tell if an upgrade will go through or not if you don't have R space on booking.
Is R the GPU code? i.e. can you work out availability to clear on booking if its showing r9?

Don't want to get too excited but hope that is the case- instead of having to bother the agents on the phone with my ten million options!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
Is R the GPU code? i.e. can you work out availability to clear on booking if its showing r9?

Don't want to get too excited but hope that is the case- instead of having to bother the agents on the phone with my ten million options!
Yes. Book now and confirm by phone or online!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Book now and confirm by phone or online!
This just changed my life!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can anyone confirm that this post from 2 years ago is still true? Pretty sure I read somewhere on united.com that if any segments clear, they take the miles/money...but I really prefer to believe flyertalk

Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
The best part of this is that you both get the domestic upgrades and your money / miles back if the overwater segment doesn't clear. There's absolutely no downside to applying and taking the confirmed domestic upgrades (except it ties up money / miles, and you have to watch to ensure they're actually redeposited if the upgrade doesn't clear).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
Can anyone confirm that this post from 2 years ago is still true? Pretty sure I read somewhere on united.com that if any segments clear, they take the miles/money...but I really prefer to believe flyertalk
from the thread about it (17th June 2015):

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Unfortunately the way it works is that they take your money and miles upfront - and then if the longer segment doesn't clear you will get them back after the flight - even if the shorter segment only clears.
large GS poster who knows what he is talking about
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
Not sure where you were looking on united.com, because the rule has not changed:
In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global First™, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
Mileage Plus Upgrades
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
lax -MEL on 787 is an easier flight to clear on weekdays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.