Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Have applied miles + copay for the below - wanted to get an update on what people thought upgrade chances would be as of now?

839 on Friday Dec. 18 - 3/8 GF, 17/40 BF remaining (the BF capacity has not changed in at least a couple months)

840 on Wednesday Jan. 6 - 8/8 GF, 35/40 BF remaining

I put in for SYD-LAX at booking in March, so I figure I have a better shot (also because it's a bit post-NYE and in the middle of the week). Feel like maybe J/F are getting too expensive for anyone to book directly on Dec. 18, but a bit worried that I might get HOD'ed out of spots...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Have applied miles + copay for the below - wanted to get an update on what people thought upgrade chances would be as of now?

839 on Friday Dec. 18 - 3/8 GF, 17/40 BF remaining (the BF capacity has not changed in at least a couple months)

840 on Wednesday Jan. 6 - 8/8 GF, 35/40 BF remaining

I put in for SYD-LAX at booking in March, so I figure I have a better shot (also because it's a bit post-NYE and in the middle of the week). Feel like maybe J/F are getting too expensive for anyone to book directly on Dec. 18, but a bit worried that I might get HOD'ed out of spots...
The seatmap is a not a very good indication of how many seats are available for sale or sold.

For the flight on Jan 6, search the SYD/US upgrade threads. I flew around that time and was unable to buy a business ticket for less than full fare a few weeks in advance. I think other FTers cleared their upgrades. Jan after NYE is peak season, so the planes will be full.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The seatmap is a not a very good indication of how many seats are available for sale or sold.

For the flight on Jan 6, search the SYD/US upgrade threads. I flew around that time and was unable to buy a business ticket for less than full fare a few weeks in advance. I think other FTers cleared their upgrades. Jan after NYE is peak season, so the planes will be full.
But I am flying the opposite direction (i.e. to the US) post-NYE, so I thought I'd have a better shot there. My flight to SYD is pre-Christmas.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Follow up here

My GPUs for SYD - NYC have already cleared for late October

Waitlisted SFO - SYD early November. If I wanted to go a day later would have cleared at booking.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
But I am flying the opposite direction (i.e. to the US) post-NYE, so I thought I'd have a better shot there. My flight to SYD is pre-Christmas.
That's the absolute peak of the year.

Lots of folks from the northern hemisphere will be flying in the same direction to spend xmas + NYE in Australia. It's a great time to do so, since it's summer in Australia.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
It's also school holidays in Australia. All of January is usually full-price at best.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
What's the current wisdom on "easiest upgrade" (realizing that none of them have great odds)? I can do SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, or LAX-MEL. Departing on a Sunday, returning on a Tuesday in November. Going by seatmaps (I know), the MEL flight has the most C seats open right now, but Y is looking quite full. The two SYD flights have fewer C seats open, but Y (and E+ in particular) look wide open.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
What's the current wisdom on "easiest upgrade" (realizing that none of them have great odds)? I can do SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, or LAX-MEL. Departing on a Sunday, returning on a Tuesday in November. Going by seatmaps (I know), the MEL flight has the most C seats open right now, but Y is looking quite full. The two SYD flights have fewer C seats open, but Y (and E+ in particular) look wide open.
Based on picking a random Sunday to fly out and Tuesday to return, I would venture to guess LAX-MEL will likely be your best odds. I saw R=9 on the Tuesday MEL-LAX leg, which means you'd clear that right away. SFO/LAX-SYD had no R availability.

(sample dates used = Nov. 15 fly to Oz, return Nov. 24)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
That's the absolute peak of the year.

Lots of folks from the northern hemisphere will be flying in the same direction to spend xmas + NYE in Australia. It's a great time to do so, since it's summer in Australia.
I second that. Spent NYE under the Harbor Bridge after a warm 95 degree day and the most spectacular fireworks show I have ever seen. Rode the LAX-MEL 789 down and ended up with some "alternate routing" on the way home when the brand new 789 wouldnt start during a 104 degree MEL day. ha ha ^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
My personal feeling is that departing Mon-Thu is much better than Fri-Sun in both directions.

I tend to choose 6C as my seat. Multiple times recently have 6DG been empty next to me. I typically leave SYD on Mon and return Thu.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What kind of upgrades would those be, GPUs or upgrade with miles and copay?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
What kind of upgrades would those be, GPUs or upgrade with miles and copay?
As far as chance of clearing, it does not matter.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
Follow up here

My GPUs for SYD - NYC have already cleared for late October

Waitlisted SFO - SYD early November. If I wanted to go a day later would have cleared at booking.
As a follow up SFO-SYD did not clear. Ended up 11 and 12 on the checkin list, it cleared up to person 8. Never had it not clear in the 747 days, oh for those days...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
Never had it not clear in the 747 days, oh for those days...
There's more premium seats to Australia today than there ever was in the 747 days... Of course, they are fragmented across 3 flights rather than 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.