Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by intrigue65
Tomorrow 4/3 (Thursday) or 4/4 (Friday). Basically willing to pay the change fee if it improves my odds at all.
its not worth the money. You are 80% sure flying in the back.Hope for weather to ruin lots of connections.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Not an upgrade, but...

Few days ago I booked a redemption flight SFO-SYD for late next week. Only Y was available, so that's what I booked.

Called in yesterday and got them to up-fare the ticket to F, and then waitlist in F. Didn't expect much as the flight was F3 C3, with 2 seats showing free in F and 2 in C (I'm still trying to work out exactly how that adds up - do they block a seat in F?).

A few hours ago got the email that the waitlist had cleared, and the flight is now showing F1 C0. Didn't expect it to clear, and certainly didn't expect it to clear over a week in advance - but I'm certainly not complaining!
What's a redemption flight? Using miles? Were you on a standard award?

So to "up-fare" to F you use additional miles and money?

I'm trying to beging strategic approach to getting to SYD in Sept, no R availability....so looking at alternate strategies. Thanks
Old May 1, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmack
What's a redemption flight? Using miles? Were you on a standard award?

So to "up-fare" to F you use additional miles and money?
Yeah, Award flight. I was originally booked in saver economy (X or XN) on the outbound, saver first (O) on the return.

Got them to change the outbound to O which cost an extra 40k miles (economy is 40K, first is 80k), at which point I was still in economy but they could waitlist me into O/first.

If the waitlist doesn't clear, they refund the extra 40k miles. But it did
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
TAPC UPG Global

Booked on LAX-MEL Nov 27 th in Y Applied a Global for Y to BusinessFirst on the new 787-900 LAX-MEL non-stop What are the chances of my Global clearing? As a side note applied a global from SYD-SFO July 25 which never cleared then noticed ON1 was available -a quick 2 minute phone call to 1K Service Centre and my upgrade from D to ON was in place - will the same thing happen on Nov ? Do I need to keep checking?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Realistically nobody can say with any real certainty what your odds of an upgrade are. This is a new route, so there's no real history as to what the loads are going to be.

Having said that, Nov 27 is thanksgiving, and historically upgrades to Sydney have been good at Thanksgiving, especially on the Thursday night. It's a heavy travel period, but mainly by people with no status buying the cheapest ticket available.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by cbourl
Booked on LAX-MEL Nov 27 th in Y Applied a Global for Y to BusinessFirst on the new 787-900 LAX-MEL non-stop What are the chances of my Global clearing? As a side note applied a global from SYD-SFO July 25 which never cleared then noticed ON1 was available -a quick 2 minute phone call to 1K Service Centre and my upgrade from D to ON was in place - will the same thing happen on Nov ? Do I need to keep checking?
If you used to buy D and upgrade to F on SFO/LAX-MEL and now are buying Y on LAX-MEL because it is a 2 cabin airplane you should absolutely let United know about it!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Thanks man Happy Thanksgiving in advance :-)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
I'll be flying UA839 LAX-SYD on Friday 8/22 on a W fare. I have a fairly extensive domestic journey on the same itinerary (BOS-ORD-IAH-LAX) and am therefore interested in upgrading with miles and a copay. It'd be nice to have those domestic legs in F. Is it likely that I will clear on a Friday flight between those airports? I understand that if that leg does not clear, then the miles and copay will be refunded, so I'm at no risk of loss.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Talking HELP - Jersey to SYD - Vacation using Systemwides

I am trying to book a vacation to Sydney using systemwide upgrades from the NY area. Newark is my home airport but I can go LGA, JFK or PHL as well. Any suggestions on the best way to book, whether to go thru SFO or LAX (are there any other routings?) Please help as I need to book this ASAP. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheMan
I am trying to book a vacation to Sydney using systemwide upgrades from the NY area. Newark is my home airport but I can go LGA, JFK or PHL as well. Any suggestions on the best way to book, whether to go thru SFO or LAX (are there any other routings?) Please help as I need to book this ASAP. Thanks.
When are you trying to book this for? If you are looking for DEC to APR, you might be out of luck as it is a very heavily paid-business route. Off-season, you might have better luck. But typically based on the information available here, the upgrades clear very close to the actual departure date (if that). The reduction in plane size (747 to 777) has caused a lot of headaches. You might have better luck just booking a business ticket directly (if you can)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:37 pm

There is a LONG-STANDING thread on upgrade chances West coast to SYD. There is some availability right now in Sept 2015 (Sept 13 LAX-SYD R9) but is is hard to predict. Best bets seem to be tues/wed
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
So I guess this December may be out for last minute upgrades?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

well, actually sometimes last minute R opens up. This is where Expert Flyer used to come in handy. Keep looking. May want to hedge your bets with a purchased C ticket, though.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:21 pm

Best chances for (supported) upgrade SFO-SYD

I'm assuming Sunday departures stand a better chance than say, Fri or Sat (assuming I'm not flying during peak times - Christmas, summer vacations etc)..

fwiw, this is re: upgrade to C using miles + $$$

Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
I'm assuming Sunday departures stand a better chance than say, Fri or Sat (assuming I'm not flying during peak times - Christmas, summer vacations etc)..

fwiw, this is re: upgrade to C using miles + $$$

Thanks.
Not sure what the rules are, but every time I've tried to upgrade with miles and money it has cleared instantly. I am assuming they give that type of upgrade priority. I've probably done it 20 times. On United.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.