Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
One more data point:

Just received an upgrade SYD-SFO 5 days out, making me 3/4 this year on this route in both directions. I thought the success rate would be lower after the switch to the 777, but I've been pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Today's SYD-SFO flight I ended up #8 on the upgrade list - I don't think any upgrades cleared. Sitting across the aisle from me I noticed a guy with "global services" on his boarding pass, so it would seem everyone was doomed today.

Glad that United is able to sell all those tickets at full fare, but spending nearly 30 hours in an economy seat has me re-thinking strategy for next time. If I can't see R availability at booking, I'll probably book premium economy on NZ, or maybe I'll give Qantas a try.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by docbert
Originally Posted by weero
..Does that matter in any form outside of DM?
Of course it matters! The upgrade list is sorted first by status, so when R is released a 1K that waitlisted an upgrade yesterday will get it over a dozen kettles attempting to upgrade using miles+copay that have been on the waitlist for months.
That is just UA's explanation/rationalisation for the ug process. And it is not one I am likely to believe. Miles+copay is still money and may not beat HODs amd TODs but it will certainly beat 1K+full fare in today's UA logic.
..I'd love to see all R kept at 0 until 2 days before flight and then given out (in status order) to the waitlist - I've got no doubt my number of upgrades would increase.
I did relate to that point of view say until 4 years ago. But with the constant manipulation introduced by TODs, I doubt that status will ever beat incremental revenue again.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weero
That is just UA's explanation/rationalisation for the ug process. And it is not one I am likely to believe. Miles+copay is still money and may not beat HODs amd TODs but it will certainly beat 1K+full fare in today's UA logic.
Several months ago I had one of my GPUs clear from waitlist on a flight a few days before flight.

A colleague who was UA Gold had an upgrade waitlisted using miles+copay which was waitlisted a few weeks before my ticket was even booked. Both tickets were in the same fare class. He flew in the back.

So without any evidence to the contrary, I certainly believe what UA is saying in this particular case.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by docbert
..So without any evidence to the contrary, I certainly believe what UA is saying in this particular case.
Fair enough.

I just lost several intl upgrades in a row to TODs (well, HODs). You have the positive experience that miles&copay are still treated as upgrades and do not bypass the priority queue - which TODs certainly do - but my scare is still a tad too recent to digest...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:12 pm

Just booked 2 LAX MEL LAX...

R9 available on Apr20th LAX MEL.
R9 available on Apr 28th return.
Hope this will help someone looking for R seats in/around that time frame.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, Hhonors, Hyatt, MileagePlus, SPG, Chase UR, IHG, Qantas, JAL, Krisflyer,, Velocity
Looking to book two V fares on UA839 LAX-SYD for Jan 14 or 15, 2015. The wife and I are moving to SYD for my job, hoping a mileage upgrade goes through but I am not optimistic. I do not have any United status, hoping for a miracle!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
LAX->SYD on Dec28 is R>9 currently

Also...
Most of the stuff right around x-mass is looking quite good...
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Upgrades to Australia

Hello FTers,

I have to go to Australia in January for work, and am planning to take the family along. I have certs that need to be used, but I don't see upgrade seats available on ANY dates. Our travel dates are up to me, so I'm sure the flexibility will help, but does anyone have experience upgrading to Australia? Are the seats not released until close to departure? Is it easier to upgrade from LAX or SFO? To SYD or MEL?

I would be upgrading 3 pax, is that even realistic?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Hello FTers,

I have to go to Australia in January for work, and am planning to take the family along. I have certs that need to be used, but I don't see upgrade seats available on ANY dates. Our travel dates are up to me, so I'm sure the flexibility will help, but does anyone have experience upgrading to Australia? Are the seats not released until close to departure? Is it easier to upgrade from LAX or SFO? To SYD or MEL?

I would be upgrading 3 pax, is that even realistic?

Thanks!
Your chances are slim, especially for three passengers. Mid-week tends to be the best for upgrades, however this close to the dates of travel, I am not shocked that there is no R space. R space is extremely tight on those routes to begin with. R space tends to be released close to departure, sometimes only hours before.

As a recent example, I booked a late October trip in May. I sat with a GPU requested for 6 months. I checked in 15 of 40 on the upgrade list of SFO-SYD as a 1K (Sunday departure) and if not for shameless queue jumping when the flight went R2 at T-2, I would've been sitting in the back. The return, SYD-LAX, I cleared at T-36. I can't figure out if LAX or SFO is a better gateway for the upgrade. It seems to be more day of week dependent than anything.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Your chances are slim, especially for three passengers. Mid-week tends to be the best for upgrades, however this close to the dates of travel, I am not shocked that there is no R space. R space is extremely tight on those routes to begin with. R space tends to be released close to departure, sometimes only hours before.

As a recent example, I booked a late October trip in May. I sat with a GPU requested for 6 months. I checked in 15 of 40 on the upgrade list of SFO-SYD as a 1K (Sunday departure) and if not for shameless queue jumping when the flight went R2 at T-2, I would've been sitting in the back. The return, SYD-LAX, I cleared at T-36. I can't figure out if LAX or SFO is a better gateway for the upgrade. It seems to be more day of week dependent than anything.
Aw this sucks. This is one of those routes where I don't want to roll the dice. Way too long to sit in the back. On a 10k biz ticket I don't see us buying outright either.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:59 pm

Smile Best method to upgrade?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right section - please feel free to berate me if it isn't

We're (2 of us) planning a trip to New York flying out of Melbourne (Aust) next December on the 15th, flying back on the 4th of January 2016, and was really hoping on utilising our points to upgrade ourselves to business.

I have about 105,000 miles, the partner has about 50,000. Happy to use mine to upgrade her if needed. Would love full return upgrade, but otherwise the leg up will suffice. Not too fussed about the domestic, but would be nice as well. Co-pay is fine.

As the Jan flights aren't available yet, we can't really book much - but had a few questions

1) Is this realistic, or is there no hope? We had a phone call with someone from United querying about it, and she indicated we would know immediately and also receive confirmation immediately, but I seem to be reading otherwise on the Internet.
2) Is there any type of Fare class we need to purchase? We have a lot of vouchers for a travel agency, so my preference would be to buy the flight through them, and then add it to my United Mileage plus account.

Sorry about all the questions - I've never actually upgraded a flight before!

Cheers
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
First of all, welcome to FT.

Probably depends on a lot of factors, but given the length of MEL-LAX (presumably the route you would use, then connect onto JFK (or EWR if desired)), its probably going to be a bit tougher to find upgrade space. Depending on low vs. high season, exact dates of travel, etc. will influence if UA decides to open up upgrade space. If you don't have status, and get put on the waitlist, that will factor in as well, as higher status are prioritized over lower status. You'll be required to put up the mileage and co-pay when you request the upgrade, and if you don't clear, it will all be returned to you after flight.

As to knowing immediately, it depends. If there is upgrade space available at the time you request, then yes, you will know immediately. If there is not, you will be put on the waitlist, and if space opens up and you clear, you get notified by email.

If using miles and money, you can upgrade from any published fare class. However, the higher the fare class, the lower the mileage/co-pay requirement will be. For example, Y and I think B fares usually require fewer miles and no co-pay, while lower fare classes require more miles and up to a $600 co-pay. In between will be somewhere in the middle.

The bucket that needs to be open for immediate upgrade is R - if you look up flights on United's website, and enable expert mode in your profile, you can click on the fare class link while logged in and see R(X), where (X) indicates the number available (except if 9, which means =>9). One note - it is better to search for each segment individually when looking for space, as connections will display a lower number of R space than may be available as it will show as the lower number on any of the segments. However, upgrades clear based on segment availability - so if MEL-LAX is R=7 and your LAX-JFK is R=1, it will show R=1 for both connections, but even so, the MEL-LAX segment would clear immediately.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Welcome to FT!

For most fare classes, you'll need 30,000 miles each to upgrade one way. In addition to that, you'll have to pay a copay, ranging from $350-$600 each, again, depending on fare class. All info is found here:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...ardTravel.aspx

Suggest you check availability on your preferred flight before you book these tickets.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:18 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by flyonga
Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right section - please feel free to berate me if it isn't

We're (2 of us) planning a trip to New York flying out of Melbourne (Aust) next December on the 15th, flying back on the 4th of January 2016, and was really hoping on utilising our points to upgrade ourselves to business.

I have about 105,000 miles, the partner has about 50,000. Happy to use mine to upgrade her if needed. Would love full return upgrade, but otherwise the leg up will suffice. Not too fussed about the domestic, but would be nice as well. Co-pay is fine.

As the Jan flights aren't available yet, we can't really book much - but had a few questions

1) Is this realistic, or is there no hope? We had a phone call with someone from United querying about it, and she indicated we would know immediately and also receive confirmation immediately, but I seem to be reading otherwise on the Internet.
2) Is there any type of Fare class we need to purchase? We have a lot of vouchers for a travel agency, so my preference would be to buy the flight through them, and then add it to my United Mileage plus account.

Sorry about all the questions - I've never actually upgraded a flight before!

Cheers
Hi flyonga Welcome to FT!

I think you may be a little short on booking an award ticket with just miles - I think a one way in saver economy is 40k (160 then for two people RT). I'm not sure how much a business saver is, but would be more.

Buying a ticket and trying to upgrade with miles / cash may work better. The below link can give you an idea of what is required:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...ardTravel.aspx

As to what are the chances of the upgrades clearing is another question. Maybe someone else can give more info on this point.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.