Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:48 am

for me, tue and wed, YMMV

I've also gone ahead equivalent number of weeks and checked to see if there's a pattern... sometimes that pushes me to a thursday or monday, depending on direction you're going
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by kersteng
Hi folks, does anyone know what days are best for a higher chance of an upgrade to clear from United Economy to United BusinessFirst? I am specifically interested in LAX-SYD in July of 2014 and see that they swapped the 747 with a 777 for next year with fewer seats overall.

Thanks much!
If you haven't already done so, these threads can probably provide supplementary information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...merged-27.html
and especially:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-flights.html
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:33 pm

Thanks everyone, I am 1k and would be using GPU, gonna go for LAX-SYD on Tue and SYD-LAX on Thu, maybe it clears at some point since it's still so far out!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: United Airlines 1K, Hilton Honors Gold, Starwood Hotels
Does anyone know how to check upgrade acailabilty now. I am looking for an LAX to SyD flight on March 16, 2014. I see tons of open seats but cannot find the fare class availability. Thank you.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UlyssesPSA
Does anyone know how to check upgrade acailabilty now. I am looking for an LAX to SyD flight on March 16, 2014. I see tons of open seats but cannot find the fare class availability. Thank you.
You need R fare class. You can see fare class availability using expert mode on united.com:

-Scroll down and click on "Manage Profile."

-Scroll down to "Preferences" and click on "View All Flight Search Preferences."

-Check the box "to Enable Expert Mode."

-Save your changes.

Link to fare classes will now show when you search for flights.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Sydney-SFO/LAX no upgrades allowed?

I've just been looking at booking routes next year between Australasia and EU. I'm in Wellington, NZ and normally route via Sydney to pick up UA metal, then through US or Asia to Europe.

SYD to lax/sfo seem to have dropped a lot of class options that would allow GPU. And also when I ticked mileage upgrades all trans pacific routes came up in red letters as unavailable for upgrade. That is for both the old dinosaur 747 400 and the 777s. What is available are SFO/PDX $600/35,000k 1st class upgrades on pencil planes. Expensive for an extra bag of pretzels.

Last year there were dozens of options at various prices and class codes. Anyone else noticed this?

I've got 100k of tickets to book, but if no chance to use those GPUs what's the point of suffering United metal?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've noted a huge imbalance in 'R' space which is the fare bucket used for upgrades between USA-Oz, where there remains reasonable availability, and Oz-USA where R space is nonexistent. I've adjusted my northbound flying through Asia, as a result.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by transportprof
I've noted a huge imbalance in 'R' space which is the fare bucket used for upgrades between USA-Oz, where there remains reasonable availability, and Oz-USA where R space is nonexistent. I've adjusted my northbound flying through Asia, as a result.
thanks. I'll look that direction too. Maybe more direct competition with quality Asian lines will force better results from United too.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM, UA 1K, DL Silver
LAX-SYD GPU Experience?

anyone have any experience in clearing the waitlist for LAX-SYD-LAX? travelling in June...fingers crossed! Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is a general thread on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-flights.html
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indigirl
anyone have any experience in clearing the waitlist for LAX-SYD-LAX? travelling in June...fingers crossed! Thanks!
Extremely unlikely. This route is one of the hardest to clear. Everytime i see the upgrade waiting list theres at least 30-40 names on it.

Maybe if you buy a B fare your chances will be higher though lol (not really kidding).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P
My miles + copay upgrade cleared about a week ago for SFO to SYD in early april (Y to J). Still waiting on the return leg to clear.

Just hoping I don't get stuck in the 777 center seats!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Extremely unlikely. This route is one of the hardest to clear. Everytime i see the upgrade waiting list theres at least 30-40 names on it.
Those 30-40 pax international upgrade waiting lists typically include a very high percentage of nonrevs. On my flight NRT-SFO last night the entire BF upgrade waitlist - over 30 names - consisted of nonrevs.

There are regular reports in this forum and on this thread in particular of pax confirming GPUs on the SYD flights. I would imagine that June, being winter down under, would be one of the easier times of year.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those 30-40 pax international upgrade waiting lists typically include a very high percentage of nonrevs. On my flight NRT-SFO last night the entire BF upgrade waitlist - over 30 names - consisted of nonrevs.

There are regular reports in this forum and on this thread in particular of pax confirming GPUs on the SYD flights. I would imagine that June, being winter down under, would be one of the easier times of year.
ah true i didn't even consider that. I've miles + copayed my last 3 LAX-SYD segments and they all cleared, usually day of departure when R bucket opens up.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Plat
I'm returning next weekend and SYD-LAX has been zeroed out in all J fares last I looked. Of course, SYD-SFO the same day has been only J1, so not much hope there either. Got a bulkhead with an empty seat next to me... for now... I cleared going down SFO-SYD with Miles & $$, but the LAX-SYD flight the same day is pretty tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.