Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Welcome to the forum!

Need to know the status of the person that gifted you the GPUs as the following is the upgrade confirmation priority from UA's website:

"Waitlist priority on all flights
If upgrade space is not available when requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, Regional Premier Upgrade or Global Premier Upgrade, travelers may be placed on a waitlist. The waitlist will be processed automatically based on the Premier status of the redeeming account, then fare class*, then time of request. New waitlist requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades, and Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure." (bolding mine)

So if from a GS probably no need to step up to E but if from a 1K then E will put you at the top of the list (but below any GS pax).

There is a tremendous amount of info on here about GPU usage though so do some searching.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eirenyc
Hello All,

First time writer here. Excuse the poor grammer, and apologies if this was already answered recently (i did search before posting).

I have an upcoming NYC - MEL flight in November, and am wanting to upgrade my flights using 2 GPU's. I haven't used them before.
I am Gold UA, and have been gifted 2 GPU's.
I can book up to, and including E fare by my company, but not sure if it makes a difference regarding how they decide on upgrades ( i do know i need W and higher, but will it make a difference if i book E)?
I'll have to fly our Wed or Thurs, has anyone any advise on SFO or LAX as better options. I'll fly back Fri/Sat so understand it could be a slim chance of getting into biz.

Thanks in advance for any help.
If your company let's you book E than do that. It will increase your chances.
Best strategy is to find a flight with R/RN availability if you can, although not always possible.

If that doesn't work look for flight with the largest number of C/J openings.
I have heard/read that LAX has better GPU chances but in my opinion both SFO and LAX would give you the same chances.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...read-wiki.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-flights.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tc-merged.html
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The best thing you can do is book flights that already have R/RN availability, if such flights are available.

If not, well, there's some secrets of the trade that should remain secret.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA
thanks for the advice. There is no R inventory, so i guess i'll have to book and hope.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
I'm flying Saturday Oct 5 from LAX-SYD. I'm UA 1P, and on a B fare. Currently waitlisted for UG with miles. No R availability (flight looks packed, end of school holidays etc).
Does the priority system mean I'm behind all 1K and PP on the UG waitlist?
(I wasn't sure as I thought Y/B went ahead). Guessing I'm screwed despite paying for B fare.

Tried once before to get miles+$ upgrade on same flight, didn't get it but was on a lower fare class. Seemed pretty much the whole front row of E+ was premium FF who had been waitlisted for UG!

(I've been 1P for several years, and I've found like others that I don't get any UDU anymore; when I was 2P - pre merger - I used to get domestic first all the time).

Last edited by watersign; Oct 2, 2013 at 7:05 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:23 pm

Not looking likely.... any bets on how many people might cancel or change their flights before Saturday?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by watersign
Not looking likely.... any bets on how many people might cancel or change their flights before Saturday?
Looking now the are 3 seats on the map in C. If there's just one of you, never give up. FT has many reports of miracles happening

Not sure myself how much the B fare will help, but it can't hurt!

Good luck!!!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:38 pm

Thanks. On my domestic leg (EWR-LAX) my upgrade hadn't cleared at T-48 (despite being an elite member on a B ticket) so I'm not that hopeful.

I was thinking of switching my flights to go transpacific via SFO as that flight to SYD seems less full, but still isn't showing R availability (and if I switch now I guess I'm just at the bottom of that waitlist).
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
If you call reservations the agents can see your place on the wait list. I am 1k booked SFO-SYD in V class, using GPU and in 6th place (and travelling soon too). I think SFO is more elite heavy than LAX.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:36 pm

Greg - thanks for the tip. I called reservations, and was told that I'm about #5 on the waitlist for the international leg, behind all 1Ks using miles or GPUs.
For the domestic I'm also #5, and the agent said I've probably got a better chance of an upgrade on LAX-SYD because of the no-show rate.

(I used to be elite with QF and ditched them because I got annoyed with the upgrade rate - when using miles, not op-ups - and the general snotty OneWorld attitude.... I find United much friendlier but the upgrade rate is really sinking).

Last edited by watersign; Oct 3, 2013 at 9:40 pm Reason: added info
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Remember even if TWENTY seats show empty on SYD flights UA aggressively sells upgrades to anyone with a credit card BEFORE day of flight clearances start for Globals.

Globals clearing out of here were getting to be a joke.

From SYD as a long term 1K I often needed to buy tickets that were $1000 more RT than lowest buyable fare to USA to get 'W', only to see the few unsold biz class seats being cheerfully and aggressively offered to once a decade flyer Kettles at check-in for $800 the segment, and to get to Lounge here and hear Annie tell me there were NO instrument upgrades processed for that flight.

Worked the same USA-SYD in reverse

That was one of the main reasons for seldom flying United again despite 12 years straight as a 1K. Systemwides were near meaningless under the new aggressive - "sell up at check-in to anyone with a Visa card" regime.

Now if they had offered me a voucher for the difference between W and lowest fare in that case .... well and good.

Day of flight C/J = 20 or so on a 747 and for a 1K Million Miler #1 or #2 on the list often, on a W or often B fare NOT to clear was insane.

14 hours of United coach misery with near non existent IFE, after paying $1000 more than the person sitting next to me, is no reward for any 1K/GS loyalty.

But United were, and are, double dipping.

They wanted my extra $1000 (no refunds buddy) and they wanted the Kettle's extra $800 a seat. As often as they could get both.

AA has never had a minimum fare bucket requirement AFAIK, and AA Elites get EIGHT "Globals" last time I looked.

And AA Top Elites tell me getting CONFIRMED upgraded seats way in advance is generally possible .. almost never the case with UA ... who more and more need to play the day of flight LOTTERY .. and that is truly what it is.

GOOD LUCK ... miracles happen as others have posted, but at end of School holidays here, they mostly do not sadly!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by watersign
Greg - thanks for the tip. I called reservations, and was told that I'm about #5 on the waitlist for the international leg, behind all 1Ks using miles or GPUs.
For the domestic I'm also #5, and the agent said I've probably got a better chance of an upgrade on LAX-SYD because of the no-show rate.
That's interesting. It's been a subject of speculation here who has priority for an int'l upgrade, a 1K with a GPU or a lower status pax with miles + co-pay.

Looks like your flight is currently booked 50/52 in BF. At No. 5, you should still have a chance. Good luck.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:13 am

Best days for a possible upgrade to business?

Hi folks, does anyone know what days are best for a higher chance of an upgrade to clear from United Economy to United BusinessFirst? I am specifically interested in LAX-SYD in July of 2014 and see that they swapped the 747 with a 777 for next year with fewer seats overall.

Thanks much!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Very difficult any day of the week, but probably marginally less so midweek. The old adage - if you want Business Class, buy Business Class - applies in spades on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.