Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Nervous about GPU Clearing SFO-SYD

LAX-SYD isn't always easier to clear, at least in the past 8 months.

Re SFO - I'm cleared on tomorrow's flight. A W fare doesn't often cut it. I've been a GS on a Y fare and still not cleared earlier this year. An expert flyer alert for R did trigger a few hours ago, so perhaps you have a chance. It is the lightest load for a Friday flight from SFO I've seen all year.

Remember that Friday is a peak day to Sydney and you are completing with a lot of flyers who have higher fare class and higher status (GS) on that route.

Good luck.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
does the bulkhead row have underseat storage for your bag?
No, that is the down side of these seats (and also the exit row).
Old May 2, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
This is the second thread today where someone will cxl a international trip due to not upgrading. People are crazy.
I'm prepared to toss my HKG-EWR return next month if my UG doesn't clear. I have a CX F award as a backup. Not such a bad option.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
LAX-SYD isn't always easier to clear, at least in the past 8 months.

Re SFO - I'm cleared on tomorrow's flight. A W fare doesn't often cut it. I've been a GS on a Y fare and still not cleared earlier this year. An expert flyer alert for R did trigger a few hours ago, so perhaps you have a chance. It is the lightest load for a Friday flight from SFO I've seen all year.

Remember that Friday is a peak day to Sydney and you are completing with a lot of flyers who have higher fare class and higher status (GS) on that route.

Good luck.
I have been doing NA-MEL several times a years since 2004.

Agree. LAX-SYD is not any easier for upgrade.

I have never booked Friday SFO-SYD or LAX-SYD if looking to upgrade.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Often1
Also more than likely that UA sells UG's. OP - Keep your wallet open and you might be able to buy up.
I agree. This is probably OPs best strategy at this point.

On one of my flights several weeks ago, it wasn't looking good with 8 left in C and 1 in F, at 24 hours when I checked-in online, where it was showing me #1 on the UG list. I checked the upgrade list every few hours and when I went to #4 on the list, I was pretty sure that I wouldn't get it. So, the minute I checked in at the airport, I asked the agent if I could buy-up. They told me they only had one seat left and sold it to me for the miles and co-pay of 30K miles plus $550-.

Good Luck!

That is one long and nasty flight in Y.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I agree. This is probably OPs best strategy at this point.

On one of my flights several weeks ago, it wasn't looking good with 8 left in C and 1 in F, at 24 hours when I checked-in online, where it was showing me #1 on the UG list. I checked the upgrade list every few hours and when I went to #4 on the list, I was pretty sure that I wouldn't get it. So, the minute I checked in at the airport, I asked the agent if I could buy-up. They told me they only had one seat left and sold it to me for the miles and co-pay of 30K miles plus $550-.

Good Luck!

That is one long and nasty flight in Y.
i thought miles + copay had the same priority as a GPU
Old May 2, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IainC
No, that is the down side of these seats (and also the exit row).
When I did this in the exit row, I had a good-sized, soft backpack when I then used as a footrest/legrest for most of the flight while sleeping.

It's mostly the lack of a leg rest that bothers me when in economy.

Having that bag under my legs (i didn't just use it for my fee) was a great help
Old May 2, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by travel.flier
It's SUPPOSED to, but the cash portion prolly gets SMIJ all hot and bothered.

Dave
Old May 2, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by travel.flier
IME, I don't believe it even if it is supposed to be true.
I did check-in at the airport early at around 3 hours prior, and there were higher priority/fare class pax waitlisted ahead of me and yet, they let me do the buy-up.

I'd like to know what the real deal is myself.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I'd like to know what the real deal is myself.
Yeah so would UNITED. Even they don't have a handle on it.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
You're absolutely right about this.. I shouldn't be freaking out too badly because there is a good chance I'll clear, and even if I don't, I can probably survive.
Of course you can. Plenty of people do it every day. I've done it multiple times in E+. Coming from Texas, you'll be pretty tired at the start of the SFO-SYD segment. Fight the urge to go to sleep immediately and entertain yourself for a couple hours (you know you'll need to bring your own entertainment on the 744, right?) so you sleep through the balance of the flight without waking prematurely. Then take your sleeping pill, put on an eye mask, insert some earplugs, don a neck pillow, and before you know it, you'll be closing in on SYD.

Row 45C is the best in the economy cabin, in my opinion, if it's not already taken.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Did your flight clear? If so when? I see that there are 2 seats available in R out of SFO and 4 out of LAX this morning. Looks like they just released all of the available seats as R.
Just curious as I am doing this in about a month as well.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
There was a very old thread on this subject in the PMUA forum but I couldn't find anything in the consolidated forum so I hope nobody minds if I start a new one.

I'm flying SFO-MEL on December 8. It's a special occasion (I'm heading home after seven years' hard labour in the colonies ^) so I'd like to use a points+copay upgrade to business class if at all possible. Unlike many people here I'm not too familiar with the vagaries of international upgrades though, as my only experience with them is of getting rejected.

Okay, so: lowly 1P, flying SFO-SYD-MEL on a Saturday in early December on a W fare (because it's a one-way), what are my chances? If they're good I'll take UA. If they're lousy I'll probably fly NZ or even QF (though I'm tempted just to stick with UA just to get a third free bag...)

I believe that there's no longer any way to check for the existence of actual upgrade inventory, is that correct?
Old May 3, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zigenbock
Did your flight clear? If so when? I see that there are 2 seats available in R out of SFO and 4 out of LAX this morning. Looks like they just released all of the available seats as R.
Just curious as I am doing this in about a month as well.
OP UPDATE: Halleleujah ... I thought my insomnia was 100% bad, but today it paid off. Woke up a few minutes ago, noticed there was an R inventory of 2, called the 1K desk, and followed the advice in how to speak to the nice lady that is found in this very excellent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-hours-4.html ..

A few minutes later she came back to the line and advised she had confirmed me in Business. Upper deck aisle seat to boot (the seat map shows only 2 left now, both in "middle" seats on the lower deck).

Major victory - thanks flyertalk folks; really appreciate it.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
OP UPDATE: Halleleujah ... I thought my insomnia was 100% bad, but today it paid off. Woke up a few minutes ago, noticed there was an R inventory of 2, called the 1K desk, and followed the advice in how to speak to the nice lady that is found in this very excellent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-hours-4.html ..

A few minutes later she came back to the line and advised she had confirmed me in Business. Upper deck aisle seat to boot (the seat map shows only 2 left now, both in "middle" seats on the lower deck).

So the system didn't do it automatically for you? Congrats - enjoy your flight.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

Congratulations to you, but what a bad deal for the others who were (potentially) on the upgrade list. I wonder how many times I have lost upgrades because a 1K was more on the ball than I (as a GS) was?

It sucks that UA isn't competent enough to make a list and then allocate upgrades as they are available starting with #1 on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.