Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Wanted to post an update -- not upgraded on SYD->LAX. I did get an upgrade to E+, but on a 747 that really isn't worth it unless you're over 6ft (seriously, don't pay for it.)

The flight was quite miserable as it was **completely** full. Usually the middles are mostly open. Not this time -- the flight was totally full.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
No R/RN availability to/from SYD the whole month of October

I thought maybe it was too far out but looks like no availability in April either. I'm thinking rather than risk paying $2400 for Y on UA plus $500 ea way and 30k miles I am seriously looking at NZ premium economy for $3200
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bmrsjohn
I thought maybe it was too far out but looks like no availability in April either. I'm thinking rather than risk paying $2400 for Y on UA plus $500 ea way and 30k miles I am seriously looking at NZ premium economy for $3200
Is this supposed to be a surprise?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
For the past 4 years I have never ever had problems finding space for flights in March June or October.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmrsjohn
For the past 4 years I have never ever had problems finding space for flights in March June or October.
Those days are over.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Probably just as accurate to change your thread title to:

"No R/RN availability to/from SYD for the months of January to December"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Probably just as accurate to change your thread title to:

"No R/RN availability to/from SYD for the months of January to December"
Another title that would be more broadly applicable:

"No R/RN availability"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu

"No R/RN availability"
+1
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
This is my first full year as a 1K, and I have to say I am extremely disappointed with my GPUs. I have found absolutely no advance R space on any flights to Asia or Europe, and I have a fair amount of flexibility in locations and months I would like to travel in. For this year, I will probably stop at Gold on United unless I actually find some use for my GPUs. . . and I will seriously consider switching to American next year.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
This is my first full year as a 1K, and I have to say I am extremely disappointed with my GPUs. I have found absolutely no advance R space on any flights to Asia or Europe, and I have a fair amount of flexibility in locations and months I would like to travel in. For this year, I will probably stop at Gold on United unless I actually find some use for my GPUs. . . and I will seriously consider switching to American next year.
You can burn the GPUs on domestic flights. That's what I've done with mine.

Try to hold back your excitement.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu

"No R/RN availability"
In my 16 years as a 1K I have never seen such a total lack of R on Trans Pacific flights. I was looking for June - September from any gateway to NRT, and there is not one R that I can find. Another thing of Jeff's that we are going to love.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I've been looking since Feb 2013....and while it was actve, I had that neat little seach program look between Sept 1 and Oct 31...nothing from SFO/LAX to SYD except one seat LAX-SYD on the 15th Oct.

All I've found is a lot of seats New Years Eve.

I don't know what is going on with United, but I also am looking at Air New Zealand Econ + SFO-SYD. I would not pay $7866 for a RT in C. I might be tempted to buy a ticket in Business on ANZ or QF?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I probably should acknowledge that I got 4 RN seats on ORD-HKG back in January by booking at the end of December. In fact, there was lots of RN TPAC availability in January at the time -- I think IAD-NRT was R9 for a few days. Definitely depends on the time of year. And of course, we were flexible with days.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
I have to disagree I am headed out next week to EWR-FRA, upgrade confirmed at booking

Flying EWR-EZE in August. Upgrade confirmed at booking
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Would anyone buy a lottery tkt if they knew ahead of time that it was a lossing tkt. Thats how I see Intl Upgrades, in most mkts they wont have R>0 until very close in when the fares will be alot more.

Jeff wants you to play the UA Lottery where you will purchase a W or higher and WL your GPU,if it doesnt clear he Wins = you paid alot more $$ in most cases to sit in the exact Y seat . If on the other hand UA isnt able to sell the Biz/F seats then they will release them for UPs as if they're doing everyone a favor, knowing full well that in the long run they will win out, as you will be back playing UA lottery again thinking its a slam dunk and pay for the W or higher. Once you dont clear a couple of times in a row you will see the light

Last edited by craz; Apr 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.