Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG
Upgrade chances on SYD/MEL flights

There was a very old thread on this subject in the PMUA forum but I couldn't find anything in the consolidated forum so I hope nobody minds if I start a new one.

I'm flying SFO-MEL on December 8. It's a special occasion (I'm heading home after seven years' hard labour in the colonies ^) so I'd like to use a points+copay upgrade to business class if at all possible. Unlike many people here I'm not too familiar with the vagaries of international upgrades though, as my only experience with them is of getting rejected.

Okay, so: lowly 1P, flying SFO-SYD-MEL on a Saturday in early December on a W fare (because it's a one-way), what are my chances? If they're good I'll take UA. If they're lousy I'll probably fly NZ or even QF (though I'm tempted just to stick with UA just to get a third free bag...)

I believe that there's no longer any way to check for the existence of actual upgrade inventory, is that correct?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I believe that there's no longer any way to check for the existence of actual upgrade inventory, is that correct?
No it's back... look for the Expert Mode thread which is floating near the top of the forum.. it'll tell you how to set your profile to where you can view the fare & upgrade buckets again.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No it's back... look for the Expert Mode thread which is floating near the top of the forum.. it'll tell you how to set your profile to where you can view the fare & upgrade buckets again.
Oh, excellent. ^ So exactly which bucket is it that I want?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Oh, excellent. ^ So exactly which bucket is it that I want?
R
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Oh, no R. Oh well, NZ it is then! Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Dec8th is a sat and you might have better luck then you think to clear an upgrade

That said.... if AirNZ with the Premium Economy is within 10% of the same price I would go that route in a second
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Waitlisting SYDSFO for I class - how good are my chances

Currently i'm award booked in X class for SYD-SFO in early March 2013 on a Sunday, but am more than willing to spend the extra 27.5K miles to get into I class

How good are my chances ? According to getmyupgrade.com, not good at all

Would LAX be easier to obtain ?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
Currently i'm award booked in X class for SYD-SFO in early March 2013 on a Sunday, but am more than willing to spend the extra 27.5K miles to get into I class

How good are my chances ? According to getmyupgrade.com, not good at all

Would LAX be easier to obtain ?
They should be pretty similar in terms of odds. I wouldn't switch.. plus if it comes through on the SYD-SFO flight you'll be able to use the Arrivals lounge.. they don't have one at LAX.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Given that the Sydney Mardi Gras is on Saturday March 2nd, I'd say your chances are really poor. There will be a ton of return pax in early March...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by river_rower
Given that the Sydney Mardi Gras is on Saturday March 2nd, I'd say your chances are really poor. There will be a ton of return pax in early March...
oh crap i didn't realize that
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Marriot Gold
Best days for SYD-SFO/LAX GPU success Y->C

I am looking to book IAH-SYD r/t starting end of March and returning anytime between 4/6-4/9.

If I can not find R inventory at time of booking what days of the week have the best chance of GPU success on the SFO/LAX - SYD leg (both directions).

I would appreciate any advice from folks who make this trip often. It will be myself + 1 on the reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have been doing 4-5 trips per year since 2004.

Avoid school holidays. Each state has different dates however within week to 10 days between states.

From 28March- 10 April Term 1 ends. Thus you may get caught in your return dates.

Outbound From EX: SFO Tues & Weds
Outbound from LAX: Sun , Tues & Wed.

THURS, FRI & SATs are not good if on WL. Rate of paxs buying LMU are high on these days due to individuals tevelling for work assigments especially IT & sofware companies & their companies not coughing up J fare. These individuals will buy LMU.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Marriot Gold
Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what days would have a good chance flying out of SYD? Also, any difference between going to SFO or LAX to have a better possibility of an upgrade?

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I have been doing 4-5 trips per year since 2004.

Avoid school holidays. Each state has different dates however within week to 10 days between states.

From 28March- 10 April Term 1 ends. Thus you may get caught in your return dates.

Outbound From EX: SFO Tues & Weds
Outbound from LAX: Sun , Tues & Wed.

THURS, FRI & SATs are not good if on WL. Rate of paxs buying LMU are high on these days due to individuals tevelling for work assigments especially IT & sofware companies & their companies not coughing up J fare. These individuals will buy LMU.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Generally midweek in both directions is best.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by IAH_1K
Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what days would have a good chance flying out of SYD? Also, any difference between going to SFO or LAX to have a better possibility of an upgrade?
My experience in the past (watching the seats, wishing and hoping)was that LAX routes filled up much faster than SFO. We used to clear all the time: now, I only buy when R is available.

Having said that, sometimes R opens up 2-3 weeks before..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.