Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

previous statement
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global First™, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP

Aloha, I've been browsing this board for years. Never had to post because of the depth of knowledge & experience here. I've got one now that I haven't been able to find an answer for. I'll be flying HNL-NRT then NRT-SIN. Looking at the upgrades + co-pay. HNL-NRT is open but the NRT-SIN segment is waitlisted, looks full. My question is, if I don't get the upgrade on the last segment, do I get a full refund for the mile & co-pay?

I know UA policy states "In most cases, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, miles and co-pay will be re-deposited if all the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments could not be upgraded. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically 7 to 10 days after the trip."

I guess my answer is the statement "miles and co-pay will be re-deposited if all the United BusinessFirst..." with all being the key word. Just seems too good. Basically a free upgrade on the HNL-NRT segment with the other leg already booked up. Won't break the bank if the other segment goes through but seems like a good gamble. Thoughts?
Old May 4, 2012, 6:57 am

I think you're misreading that "all."

It says "[We'll refund you] if all the [intl] segments could not be upgraded." Thus, you get a refund only if each one (and hence all) of the intl segments were not upgraded. If one was upgraded, then you don't get a refund because it is not true that "ALL of the [intl] segments could not be upgraded"--one of them was upgraded.

I think you're reading it as if it said "[We'll refund you] if not all of the [intl] segments could be upgraded" and I don't think that's what they mean.

Hmm... I better be careful about using miles and money to waitlist upgrades out of or to MEL. If MEL-SYD clears (as it almost certainly would) and nothing else does, you're probably SOL. Maybe they'd do a refund anyways.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
My guess is if any segments upgrade, no refund will be applied.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I'm guessing someone here had to experience this before. The language sounds pretty straight forward to me. Taking only part of this sentence seems pretty clear that I would be entitled a refund "...miles and co-pay will be re-deposited if all the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments could not be upgraded".

Maybe it's out of context but I'd think I'd have a solid argument.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by jlivengo
I'm guessing someone here had to experience this before. The language sounds pretty straight forward to me. Taking only part of this sentence seems pretty clear that I would be entitled a refund "...miles and co-pay will be re-deposited if all the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments could not be upgraded".

Maybe it's out of context but I'd think I'd have a solid argument.
I think you're reading it right, or at least the way any English speaker would. Especially given the preceding sentence, "In most cases, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded." To me, that implies that this is different... an upgrade is not considered used if only some of the segments are upgraded.

I have no experience with it, though. Someone who does might be able to give you more information.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:27 pm

PMCO used to be kind to me. For a scenario of SJC-IAH-LHR, IAH-LHR upgrade was waitlisted. The PMCO agent simply upgraded me gratis in SJC-IAH regardless of whether the international upgrade was going to happen. In other words, if IAH-LHR didn't get upgraded, I made no co-pay and kept the SJC-IAH upgrade.
Apparently, that's not standard practice, or no longer standard practice?
Old May 5, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
I'd love to know the answer to this one, too. I have SFO-ORD-CDG coming up in July; SFO-ORD upgrade has cleared, but ORD-CDG is still waitlisted.

Dave
Old May 9, 2012, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight in 2 weeks. Will respond back to see what happens.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Me too!

Originally Posted by DGellman
I'd love to know the answer to this one, too. I have SFO-ORD-CDG coming up in July; SFO-ORD upgrade has cleared, but ORD-CDG is still waitlisted.

Dave
Too funny. I'm SFO-ORD-FRA-TLS... in July... with SFO-ORD upgrade cleared, but not the overwater. Returning CDG-ORD-SFO, again with overweater not cleared but domestic has.

And you, like me, have probably noticed C9s and wide-open seat maps on those overwater segments too! But did you go through my recent angst when I realized that for not much more than the copay I could have bought Z fares in biz a couple months back? And gotten the 150% EQM bonus?
Old May 14, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Waitlist

I have a question that's a variation -- I'm flying RT with family DCA-IAH-EZE. I used miles and copay to upgrade the outbound trip. The upgrade cleared for IAH-EZE, but DCA-IAH is waitlisted. Trip is not until August, and first class for DCA-IAH is almost completely empty at this point. Seems to me I already "bought" the upgrade seats since UA took my money and miles. Can UA really "sell" the first class seats to someone else now?
Old May 14, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donnmein
I have a question that's a variation -- I'm flying RT with family DCA-IAH-EZE. I used miles and copay to upgrade the outbound trip. The upgrade cleared for IAH-EZE, but DCA-IAH is waitlisted. Trip is not until August, and first class for DCA-IAH is almost completely empty at this point. Seems to me I already "bought" the upgrade seats since UA took my money and miles. Can UA really "sell" the first class seats to someone else now?
Yep. Or upgrade someone ahead of you who has higher status, paid for a higher fare category, or paid a fee that might be offered for an immediate upgrade.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:51 pm

Any answer to the original question? I have the same question.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yep. Or upgrade someone ahead of you who has higher status, paid for a higher fare category, or paid a fee that might be offered for an immediate upgrade.
Best way to look at it is that he bought an option. Unfortunately, it's United that gets to determine whether to exercise it or not.

Except that you do get your money back if it doesn't clear. At least for now. Who knows, in the New World Order, Jeff might decide that unused upgrade $$$ go into your travel bank, where they can only be used on flights, not refunded. Yikes! Should I be giving him ideas?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:44 am

jilvengo, have you already flown and if so, what was the result. I think I am going to encounter a flight soon where one of two legs will be upgraded from BF to GF but the other leg will not be.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by fragment54
jilvengo, have you already flown and if so, what was the result. I think I am going to encounter a flight soon where one of two legs will be upgraded from BF to GF but the other leg will not be.
I had previously thought the "refund" applies only if a domestic segment cleared and not international. If any international segments clears, no refund. I think. But the language used... "all"... does imply otherwise. I too will be interested in how this turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.