Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
I guarantee you this whole thing went horribly wrong because UA was too cheap to pay the cost of rerouting pax on reasonable flights up front and even a day or two later when they still could have fixed this with minor inconvenience. As many have said PVG is a major airport with lots of flight routing options on many different *A carriers and other non *A carriers. UA just didn't want to pay the money to reroute pax...bottom line. And this is the result. We as customers should not be so quick to excuse them or let them off the hook and they now need to feel the repercussions of this kind of PR nightmare. I hope this gets major play online and on the news.

I've seen clear examples recently of UA not wanting to rebook/re-accommodate pax from cancelled or severely delayed flights onto other airlines. They will only rebook on UA and think nothing to make pax wait days for that rebook claiming "all flights are full". It's very rare that ALL flights are really full with NO options on ANY airline to get someone where they need to go. It happens, but it doesn't happen often. More likely than not UA will just tell you all flights are full (on UA) because they have a cost-saving policy not to use other airlines.

This is DISGRACEFUL. UA is a mere wisp of the airline it once was and they should be ashamed.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This is a disgraceful. I can't believe UA could not have rectified the situation earlier. Really really sad
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

1&4. I didn't get rebooked when I called in US line twice on 7/11 and 7/12. The first phone call took place an hour after the first cancellation when I overheard two premier members successfully got rerouted. A few hours after the call I got wifi access and found available seats to Chicago and SFO. I am a general member by the way.

2&3. We went to the airport and left every day to a Howard Johnson assigned and paid by UA.

Originally Posted by muc2asia
Anyone that went through the horror, can tell us what happen?

Did you get rebooked on another airline?
Did you leave the airport (what type of visa) and what type of visa?
Did UA put you up in hotel?
What is your elite status?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jasp25
This is so hilarious!

"They [airport officials] grabbed him by the tie, and they pulled him physically across the counter and started slapping him."

Started slapping him!!!!!! LMAO hahahahaahaha

http://consumerist.com/2012/07/3-day...employees.html
What would they have done to Jeff if he had been lecturing them on how great the airline has become under his leadership and how much they should like these change?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by channa
The staff probably saw this as insurmountable. With 200 people at 20 minutes a pop on SHARES, that's 66 hours of staff time required to rebook a single plane.

If UA wants to fix customer service, they need to fix the root cause of the issue, which is the system.
One of the issues at PVG is that there are only a handful of actual UA employees, usually around 2 daily. Most of the work is outsourced, probably to Air China, so most of the people at the counter could care less about UA's problems. The situations is the same at PEK and some other overseas outstations.

It also seems like they kept trying to put passengers on the same equipment rather than rebooking them on other flights, even UA flights that went out with empty seats.

It is also unclear if there is an impact on reliability from the outsourced heavy maintenance.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ualp
"willing to incur the cost"

And THERE you have it!
As they say, if you're wondering WHY, Follow the Dollar.
It's usually the answer to many conundrums.
But a full refund PLUS $1 K voucher X 200+ pax isn't exactly chump change @:-)

Or are they counting on people never setting foot on UA again, thus not using the voucher

EmailKid
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Maybe Mr Hand should start his Listening Tour over there.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by fridayinlove
1&4. I didn't get rebooked when I called in US line twice on 7/11 and 7/12. The first phone call took place an hour after the first cancellation when I overheard two premier members successfully got rerouted. A few hours after the call I got wifi access and found available seats to Chicago and SFO. I am a general member by the way.
What did they say when you asked to be rebooked?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
They were not able to leave Friday due to the crew timing out because of a boarding issue...that boarding issue was caused by the passengers refusing to go to the correct gate by the way....
flew out Saturday
What a pity UA doesn't have any other hubs in Asia where the crew could have flown the passengers if they didn't have sufficient time to fly to EWR... like NRT... And what a pity there are no *A partner hubs there either... like PEK or SIN or BKK or ICN....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Didn't UA also leave pax in COS a few years ago, even taking off with an empty plane after it was fixed? Shame on UA, I hope they pay dearly for this and management feels the heat of their mistake.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
It might have taken agents longer than 3 days to rebook all of them in SHARES .
Good point!

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
This article seem to include many of the facts of this incident that many posters here have been speculating freely about.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...passenger.html

..."United acknowledged the difficult situation and refunded the cost of their tickets and offered passengers $1,000 off a future flight, according to Rahsaan Johnson, a spokesman for the airline. He added the airline found spots on other flights for 50 of Flight 87’s original 275 passengers but was unable to accommodate the rest."
This is such pure BS. Wouldn't accommodate the rest, not couldn't.

2&3. We went to the airport and left every day to a Howard Johnson assigned and paid by UA.
Welcome to FT and thanks for providing this info. Though I'm very sorry to hear about the circumstances under which you provided it.

Disgraceful that UA didn't at least rebook passengers requesting this even when it first became clear that the delay would be 24 hours, not to mention 72.

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Maybe Mr Hand should start his Listening Tour over there.
Maybe he should stay over there.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:02 pm

Both representatives claimed no availability on both UA and all other *A airlines. I held an award ticket by the way.
I didn't call in again after finding seats to ORD/SFO on the first day - which turned out to be my biggest mistake - as I thought I was able to leave 10AM the next morning on the fixed plane.

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
What did they say when you asked to be rebooked?

Last edited by fridayinlove; Jul 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Both representatives claimed no availability on both UA and all other *A airlines. I held an award ticket by the way.
I didn't call in again after finding seats to ORD/SFO on the first day - which turned out to be my biggest mistake - as I thought I was able to leave 10AM the next morning on the fixed plane.

sounded nice and sympathetic
Is there some problem in shares with pulling up availability on other carriers?

Had a UC agent who seemed genuinely interested in helping me but, bafflingly, claiming he couldn't see an alternative set of flights for me after a mechanical cancellation and delay on subsequent flight -- routings were clearly available on US, DL and AA.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:31 pm

On additional piece of information that some news reports didn't make clear: late night 7/12 at the gate, UA ground service announced over PA that UA would bump 7/13 UA87 passengers, clear the plane, let us on it and make UA87 passengers wait for our plane to be fixed. He repeated several times and later on, upon request, printed copies and passed around in order to calm down some of the upset passengers. Well, these people only got even more upset the next day when we all found out UA87 guys were to board that plane promised to us, while all we had at that moment was another gate without aircraft showing a boarding time of a couple hours later, which nobody could believe anymore after so many schedule changes and cancellations. What followed was the turmoil shown on videos.

Last edited by fridayinlove; Jul 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I find the use of language interesting. Is it "stranded" because it's mainland China? Would the same incident in Kona also be called "a stranding", or an extended vacation?

Enquiring minds want to know.
For me it would still be stranded. When I need to go, I need to go. My employer won't be very understanding of me not showing up for work, regardless of whether I am in China or Kona. Or maybe I should always fly back 4 or more days before the planned end of my vacation, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.