Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by desperationsearch
He may not have a clue what it takes to repair an airplane, as that's not his job, but shouldn't United? If they don't, then shouldnt they have a clue that they've stranded people somewhere and have a clue how to fly a plane in to get them out.

If the HouCrew can't be trusted not to strand people for days they shouldn't be allowed to operate an airline. This is not the first time this year.
I think this is Major Network and National Media newsworthy. This company is crumbling apart at the seams.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cfischer
overentitled passengers that is.

Oh wait, maybe every passengers is in fact entitled to at least 12 irops per year on UA ... must be an unwritten rule.
Now that would be unsarcastically over entitled.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The question here is not how long it takes to repair a 777 in PVG - I'm sure UA has every incentive to do that as quickly as possible.

The question is how UA deals with the resulting IRROPS. Most airlines would react by either sending another plane (that happened to me on BA in JNB - they put us up for the night in a hotel and the plane arrived the following morning) or re-booking on alternate carriers. They failed to do either of these, or make serious attempts to do either of these. This is what is quite unacceptable here.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by desperationsearch
If the HouCrew can't be trusted not to strand people for days they shouldn't be allowed to operate an airline. This is not the first time this year.
I find the use of language interesting. Is it "stranded" because it's mainland China? Would the same incident in Kona also be called "a stranding", or an extended vacation?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I wonder if anyone were connecting passenger that were without Chinese Visa.
Good question. I have a rule (after an unfortunate incident recently at COK) not to transit a country without a visa, just in case. I guess if one is flying UA, one should really stick to this.

China does have some kind of short-term transit visa on arrival. Could be a challenge, though, not having an onward reservation to show at immigration -- recently I told the lady that I was continuing the next day, but didn't have a printout when she asked. She just said, fine, then I will use your visa. I didn't argue too much because I didn't mind in this case.

I wonder if the UA officials there can help passengers get through immigration in a case like this?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Is the Premier Access line for the hot tub at the Hyatt on the Bund just overflowing with self-entitlement?! What about the line at New Heights?!
I highly doubt UA was putting anyone up at the Hyatt on the Bund or giving out meal vouchers for New Heights.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I find the use of language interesting. Is it "stranded" because it's mainland China? Would the same incident in Kona also be called "a stranding", or an extended vacation?

I like Shanghai quite a bit and would never turn down a stay there, but you can bet I would still be angry at UA if this happened, it is inexcusable. (I would make sure I got rebooked on another carrier, though.)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jimmc66

Are you kidding?

Shanghai, Kona, it doesn't matter. If I need to get home, I call this stranded.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
Good question. I have a rule (after an unfortunate incident recently at COK) not to transit a country without a visa, just in case. I guess if one is flying UA, one should really stick to this.

China does have some kind of short-term transit visa on arrival. Could be a challenge, though, not having an onward reservation to show at immigration -- recently I told the lady that I was continuing the next day, but didn't have a printout when she asked. She just said, fine, then I will use your visa. I didn't argue too much because I didn't mind in this case.

I wonder if the UA officials there can help passengers get through immigration in a case like this?
This is what makes me nervous - I've got a connecting flight through Beijing later this year with no plans of getting a Chinese visa since I'm not planning to spend any time there. But what if UA has other plans for me? I'm going to be stuck in the airport, I fear.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The question is how UA deals with the resulting IRROPS. Most airlines would react by either sending another plane (that happened to me on BA in JNB - they put us up for the night in a hotel and the plane arrived the following morning) or re-booking on alternate carriers. They failed to do either of these, or make serious attempts to do either of these. This is what is quite unacceptable here.
The staff probably saw this as insurmountable. With 200 people at 20 minutes a pop on SHARES, that's 66 hours of staff time required to rebook a single plane.

If UA wants to fix customer service, they need to fix the root cause of the issue, which is the system.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
course, finding seats these days on alternate routings is harder and harder as load factors trend higher and higher.
Sadly, Thursday there was likely open seats on other carriers, given that it's still more or less a mid-week transpac. Good luck finding that capacity on a Friday or Saturday.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:53 am

I wonder how many pax actually were stranded through Saturday. The Friday flight left 3 hours late with empty seats and all standbys cleared.

Guess though people got faked out by the plane actually having been fixed Friday but having the crew time out due to the 'boarding issue.'

Either way should only take a phone call to get rebooked. One would think. And this is a PMCO flight so PVG agents should have been well versed in SHARES, as they were pre 3/3.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by slariz
This is what makes me nervous - I've got a connecting flight through Beijing later this year with no plans of getting a Chinese visa since I'm not planning to spend any time there. But what if UA has other plans for me? I'm going to be stuck in the airport, I fear.
I would strongly recommend getting the visa. While the airport is fantastic, one cancelled flight likely (unless you can get rerouted) means 24 hours. Also, Im not sure where you're transiting through, but both Beijing and (especially) Shanghai are really cool places. Personally, I'd build in a 24 hour layover (though with united these days, you will probably get it either way).

If you walk into a Chinese consulate in the US in the morning with your paperwork filled out right, you can pick up your visa that afternoon for $170 all in. It's not that bad of a process at all, provided you show up about 20-30 minutes before it opens and get to the head of the line. Of course you can always farm out the visa process too.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
I think this is Major Network and National Media newsworthy. This company is crumbling apart at the seams.
The story is starting to be picked up by other publications...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...fiW_story.html
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
My wife and daughter was stranded at NRT at the moment as their NRT-ORD on 7/14 was cancelled. My experience with the new UA suggested that the agent tried their best to build road blockers if you try to rebook an alternative routes. They gave me all kinds of excuses and kept saying it is not allowed, no matter what I found.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The question here is not how long it takes to repair a 777 in PVG - I'm sure UA has every incentive to do that as quickly as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.