Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And this is a PMCO flight so PVG agents should have been well versed in SHARES, as they were pre 3/3.
That doesn't change the fact that it takes very long to rebook in SHARES.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I find the use of language interesting. Is it "stranded" because it's mainland China? Would the same incident in Kona also be called "a stranding", or an extended vacation?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, my wife is "enjoying" the over-entitled one-day Tokyo vacation, with thanks to the canceled UA882 on 7/14.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I wonder how many pax actually were stranded through Saturday. The Friday flight left 3 hours late with empty seats and all standbys cleared.
Really? Is this confirmed? How come the media is reporting the Friday flight as cancelled?

NVM - I now realize you were referring to the regular Friday flight.

Last edited by capedreamer; Jul 14, 2012 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by slariz
This is what makes me nervous - I've got a connecting flight through Beijing later this year with no plans of getting a Chinese visa since I'm not planning to spend any time there. But what if UA has other plans for me? I'm going to be stuck in the airport, I fear.
PEK has a 24-hour transit visa, albeit one is not supposed to leave the terminal. And from my experience the Chinese are not as inflexible as some would make out. The airline should be able to issue the appropriate paperwork to get you the required visa if it is a longer delay...and pay the fee if required.

A couple of months ago I had a half-day transit at PEK. My inbound arrived at 6am and the outbound (on another carrier) departed at 5pm. I was prepared to sit in the CA lounge for 11-hours but because the official transit visa desk was not yet open, I was told to use the diplomatic line. The officer checked my documents and with no problem issued me a visa (stamped not the sticker that would be a normal tourist visa) and instead of channeling me through the lane that would take me back into the departure hall, he sent me through to join everyone else who were taking the train to the main terminal and arrivals hall. From there I was able to check in for my onward flight (I had a small roller bag and in cabin carrier bag) and day-checked my bags downstairs. Hopped the train into the city for a few hours. Had no trouble when I returned getting through immigration with the visa I had been given...even though technically I was supposed to stay at the airport, airside.

I expect UA did protect their premium passengers (and 1Ks?) on other flights and airlines, but the number of coach passengers made it impossible to get everyone onto alternative flights. Also pretty sure it was easier to confirm those "stranded" on future flights, get them hotels and 48-hour visas, and give them an extended stay in one of the most interesting cities in the world!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Friends don't let friends travel UA international unless they have a couple of days to spare for IRROPS.
I would never fly UA overseas. It used to be because onboard service quality / human factors were such a crapshoot. Now it's that plus the chance of incredible irrops snafus like this.

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
I think this is Major Network and National Media newsworthy.
I certainly hope so. If over-entitled customers don't force improvements, maybe mainstream media embarrassment will.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
...pretty sure it was easier to confirm those "stranded" on future flights, get them hotels and 48-hour visas, and give them an extended stay in one of the most interesting cities in the world!
That is putting lipstick on a pig if ever I saw it... the fact is, hundreds of people had their plans mangled by a third-world airline that cannot or will not deliver basic service and expects its customers to just eat it. This is the kind of story that would make Air Botswana blush.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I find it incredible that United didn't put the passengers on other airlines or reroute them.

At the very least, the First Class, GS, and 1Ks should have been able to get the next available flight out on any airline.

I'm sure that at least 1 Asian airline could have provided a charter.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I bet the RDMs the M+ members earned will be clawed back in a couple of weeks because they didn't fly on the original ticketed date.
in my experience all 200 pax will have their ITINs deleted from the system as they no-showed for the original flight.

When they call in to ask about their EQM the CSR will want to know their PNR, Ticket Number, Flight numbers, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't appear on a mobile boarding pass.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1k
Wonder what part they needed.
Couple months ago UA was going to cancel DUB-IAD because the partition/shade on the flight crew rest wasn't working.
Few hours later, they rebooked all F passenger to Emirates so the flight crew had that section all to themselves.
Was just happy to go.

There's mechanical.....and there's mechanical.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
PEK has a 24-hour transit visa, albeit one is not supposed to leave the terminal. And from my experience the Chinese are not as inflexible as some would make out. The airline should be able to issue the appropriate paperwork to get you the required visa if it is a longer delay...and pay the fee if required.

A couple of months ago I had a half-day transit at PEK. My inbound arrived at 6am and the outbound (on another carrier) departed at 5pm. I was prepared to sit in the CA lounge for 11-hours but because the official transit visa desk was not yet open, I was told to use the diplomatic line. The officer checked my documents and with no problem issued me a visa (stamped not the sticker that would be a normal tourist visa) and instead of channeling me through the lane that would take me back into the departure hall, he sent me through to join everyone else who were taking the train to the main terminal and arrivals hall. From there I was able to check in for my onward flight (I had a small roller bag and in cabin carrier bag) and day-checked my bags downstairs. Hopped the train into the city for a few hours. Had no trouble when I returned getting through immigration with the visa I had been given...even though technically I was supposed to stay at the airport, airside.

I expect UA did protect their premium passengers (and 1Ks?) on other flights and airlines, but the number of coach passengers made it impossible to get everyone onto alternative flights. Also pretty sure it was easier to confirm those "stranded" on future flights, get them hotels and 48-hour visas, and give them an extended stay in one of the most interesting cities in the world!
There is no restriction necessitating pax stay in the airport. See the bolded [mine] portion at the bottom.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:
National USA (US)               /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Destination Thailand (TH)       
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

[Visa Information - Transit] China (People's Rep.) (CN)

[Information For Normal Passports]
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets
for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit
incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within
China (People's Rep.) is permitted.  
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA holding confirmed
onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 48
hours, provided arriving at and departing from Shanghai
Hongqiao (SHA) or Pu Dong (PVG) airports. 
- All transiting passengers are subject to passport control.
  Passengers in transit are required to hold passports or
  passport replacing documents that are accepted for entry
  into China (People's Rep.). For more details on document
  requirements, please enter China (People's Rep.) as a
  destination. 
- Leaving the airport transit area is allowed.  
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
PEK has a 24-hour transit visa, albeit one is not supposed to leave the terminal.

<snip>

Had no trouble when I returned getting through immigration with the visa I had been given...even though technically I was supposed to stay at the airport, airside.
That is just plain WRONG !

Originally Posted by dsquared37
There is no restriction necessitating pax stay in the airport. See the bolded [mine] portion at the bottom.

Code:

Numbe one, (as I was correctly corrected in Chian forum), it's NOT a visa, it's TWOV (Transit Without Visa}, issued on arrival (see China forum).

Number two, you can (and I did) go to town.

And with regard to having a visa just to transit China, well apparently Chinese understand things happen and extend the TWOV (again, see China forum).

EmailKid
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
And with regard to having a visa just to transit China, well apparently Chinese understand things happen and extend the TWOV
Of course they understand! You're acting like they're communists!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Code:

Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets
for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit
incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within
China (People's Rep.) is permitted.  
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA holding confirmed
onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 48
hours, provided arriving at and departing from Shanghai
Hongqiao (SHA) or Pu Dong (PVG) airports. 
- All transiting passengers are subject to passport control.
  Passengers in transit are required to hold passports or
  passport replacing documents that are accepted for entry
  into China (People's Rep.). For more details on document
  requirements, please enter China (People's Rep.) as a
  destination. 
Originally Posted by paulyras
If you walk into a Chinese consulate in the US in the morning with your paperwork filled out right, you can pick up your visa that afternoon for $170 all in. It's not that bad of a process at all, provided you show up about 20-30 minutes before it opens and get to the head of the line. Of course you can always farm out the visa process too.
Thanks for the responses; I've been to China several times on business but this time around, just want to have my 2 hour connection from TG to UA and be back to the US. And I'd rather not have to pay cash upfront for if (when) UA screws up. Haha.

It is reassuring to know that we'll be able to get a 24-hour transit visa to get out of the airport in case TG or UA has other plans for us though.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by slariz
Thanks for the responses; I've been to China several times on business but this time around, just want to have my 2 hour connection from TG to UA and be back to the US. And I'd rather not have to pay cash upfront for if (when) UA screws up. Haha.

It is reassuring to know that we'll be able to get a 24-hour transit visa to get out of the airport in case TG or UA has other plans for us though.
You won't get a transit visa unless you apply for one in advance (which, would be kind of silly because 2-year visas and transit visas are the exact same price). But, China permits people from pretty much everywhere to transit without visas for up to 24 hours, and you can leave the airport in almost all cases.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This was one of the lead stories on Good Morning America today: http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-pass...ry?id=16784289
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
This was one of the lead stories on Good Morning America today: http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-pass...ry?id=16784289
Similar article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hina-days.html

This quote takes the cake: "Spokesman for the airline Rahsaan Johnson said: 'It was a very tough time for the customers. We hope they give us another chance to win their business'

No apology. No acceptance of responsibility. Just a passive acknowledgment that it was "tough" for the customers and a passive wish for "another chance" - really?

Talk about tone deaf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.