Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by reddirt14
I doubt United cares about petty problems passengers have. After all, they are just passengers.
Agreed! They are probably more concerned that they have a 777 that can't fly routes for the past three days.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Reminds me of the folks stranded in Alaska just a few months ago while they were en route to Shanghai:
Stranded in Alaska for two days by UAL - Advice?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Is the Premier Access line for the hot tub at the Hyatt on the Bund just overflowing with self-entitlement?! What about the line at New Heights?!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: nobody
I wonder if anyone were connecting passenger that were without Chinese Visa.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Why wouldn't they just cancel the flight and rebook people on other flights?
The flight doesn't have to be canceled for passengers to be rebooked. Of course, finding seats these days on alternate routings is harder and harder as load factors trend higher and higher.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
The flight doesn't have to be canceled for passengers to be rebooked. Of course, finding seats these days on alternate routings is harder and harder as load factors trend higher and higher.
You also need agents willing to rebook. That can be more difficult to find than the space itself.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Flying Blue Gold
Lots of those passengers were on the PVG-ORD flight today. Being Friday the 13th though, that flight left an hour late, and then spent 1 1/2 hours waiting for a gate at O'Hare due to weather issues. Even people with 4 hour connections were left sweating it.

Ain't travel on UA these days glamorous?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by With
Lots of those passengers were on the PVG-ORD flight today. Being Friday the 13th though, that flight left an hour late, and then spent 1 1/2 hours waiting for a gate at O'Hare due to weather issues. Even people with 4 hour connections were left sweating it.

Ain't travel on UA these days glamorous?
Friends don't let friends travel UA international unless they have a couple of days to spare for IRROPS.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I bet the RDMs the M+ members earned will be clawed back in a couple of weeks because they didn't fly on the original ticketed date.
HAH! Made my day! ^^^^
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HitAndRun
And the irony is United outsourced maintenance of its 777 airframes to a Chinese company 2 years ago if the mechanic's union is to be believed.... you'd think they could get those things fixed quicker in Asia than the USA.
UA 777's have had maintenance performed at Ameco-Beijing since late 2005. That is a long way from Shanghai. Typically the qualified person is not the issue with field repairs, it is getting the correct parts on location.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I bet the RDMs the M+ members earned will be clawed back in a couple of weeks because they didn't fly on the original ticketed date.
No no no - the miles will be "removed". I guess this is new UA terminology for being patient while they continue to "bring two great carriers together" as they attempt to "use technology to make the travel experience easier for customers". Foolish me.

Besides, the new UA has so much ill will to share that it's sad. Too bad they can't send an effective and honest e-mail communicating what's gone wrong and what they're going to do that actually can be measured against. You know, a real commitment.

Wait, that would mean that they'd be held accountable. Can't do that either.

David
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
UA 777's have had maintenance performed at Ameco-Beijing since late 2005. That is a long way from Shanghai. Typically the qualified person is not the issue with field repairs, it is getting the correct parts on location.
Have you checked your map?

682 miles is a long way to you? In comparison, EWR-ORD is 719 miles.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=pvg-pek...SU=kts&RS=best

How many flights each day between PVG and PEK? Can't UA ship the necessary parts / personnel to PVG to fix the plane?

Oh, there is high speed train between the 2 cities too...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Can't UA ship the necessary parts / personnel to PVG to fix the plane?
As planemechanic mentioned the reason for extended mechanical delays in china is more often than not parts related. While AMECO handles heavy maintenance for UA international 777s, United has its own Chinese mechanics in both PEK and PVG who handle line maintenance. In Beijing they are supported by AMECO whereas in Shanghai they are supported by the Boeing maintenance facility at PVG.

The difficulty in maintaining appropriate parts inventory in China is exacerbated by the customs import process and expensive import tariffs. The fact that numerous 777s operate at PEK and PVG doesn't mean that they all use the same parts.

So assuming that the required part is not readily available inside China then it must go thru a long customs clearance process whether it comes from the U.S., Japan, Hong Kong or elsewhere. That may mean the required part may need to come from the U.S. and not be available for use in repairs for 48 hours plus after the initial problem is correctly diagnosed and appropriate corrective action is determined.

BTW this is true for international out stations for almost all carriers. It's simply to expensive to have backup aircraft and/or complete parts inventory for every long haul international flight available at out stations.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you checked your map?

682 miles is a long way to you? In comparison, EWR-ORD is 719 miles.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=pvg-pek...SU=kts&RS=best

How many flights each day between PVG and PEK? Can't UA ship the necessary parts / personnel to PVG to fix the plane?

Oh, there is high speed train between the 2 cities too...
Yes, it is a long way. You clearly have no clue what it takes to repair airplanes, so I will just let you read the post above for more reasons why it is not simple to repair airplanes in China.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Yes, it is a long way. You clearly have no clue what it takes to repair airplanes, so I will just let you read the post above for more reasons why it is not simple to repair airplanes in China.
He may not have a clue what it takes to repair an airplane, as that's not his job, but shouldn't United? If they don't, then shouldnt they have a clue that they've stranded people somewhere and have a clue how to fly a plane in to get them out.

If the HouCrew can't be trusted not to strand people for days they shouldn't be allowed to operate an airline. This is not the first time this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.