Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by desperationsearch
We should call the stranded passengers and let them know that the SVP of Customer experience thinks 90% of the problems are solved.
And that the CFO thinks many of them are over-entitled.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This whole thing sort of doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is PVG, not some strange outpost without any other flights from UA or other airlines.

I guess we'll never know, but it would be helpful to understand the logic behind the decisions. Was it one of those cascading situations where each time they thought it was solved, something else happened which made the delay longer?

Or was it simply an intent on their part to not rebook passengers?

If it's the former, I can have a little sympathy (within reason) but if it was the latter, that's simply inexcusable.

With UA's network in Asia plus *A network, 200 people should have been easily rerouted back to the US. Any sort of random rerouting is probably better than 3 days of back-and-forth to the airport to find out the flight is cancelled/delayed once again.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 am
Suspended

United Passengers Revolt After Stranded for 3 Days in China

Here's the scoop:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-pass...9#.UARPHpE-GZS

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:34 am

United Passengers Revolt After Stranded for 3 Days in China

This happened in Shanghai so I'm not surprised by that... If people don't know how to cue up orderly, I won't be surprised if things like this happen.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Probably Jeff just putting the "entitled Elite" in their place. This is a disgrace and should be a huge embarrassment to UA.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
omg. what is going on with united. so much bad press. that airline is really going down the drain. i am happy that i just recently switched all my spending over to delta.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus
This article seem to include many of the facts of this incident that many posters here have been speculating freely about.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...passenger.html

Quick summary:

Issue with the engine...

plane goes INOP on Wednesday...
due to parts they wee not able to get it fixed until Friday...
They were not able to leave Friday due to the crew timing out because of a boarding issue...that boarding issue was caused by the passengers refusing to go to the correct gate by the way....
flew out Saturday

"United acknowledged the difficult situation and refunded the cost of their tickets and offered passengers $1,000 off a future flight, according to Rahsaan Johnson, a spokesman for the airline. He added the airline found spots on other flights for 50 of Flight 87’s original 275 passengers but was unable to accommodate the rest."

Last edited by SFOFastAir; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Sounds like my SYD trip.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...17-3-18-a.html

On the plus side, I'm in C on the upper deck of the 747 both ways when I try this adventure again ^

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K

I smell a class action lawsuit
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 am

This is so hilarious!

"They [airport officials] grabbed him by the tie, and they pulled him physically across the counter and started slapping him."

Started slapping him!!!!!! LMAO hahahahaahaha

http://consumerist.com/2012/07/3-day-delay-for-united-flight-results-in-brawl-with-airport-employees.html
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by channa
The staff probably saw this as insurmountable. With 200 people at 20 minutes a pop on SHARES, that's 66 hours of staff time required to rebook a single plane.
Hard to believe they could not task a few ICC drones to handle by phone. More likely the loads were high they did not want to pay to put people on carrier - so better to let the passengers sit it out if they think they can fix it.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The question here is not how long it takes to repair a 777 in PVG - I'm sure UA has every incentive to do that as quickly as possible.

The question is how UA deals with the resulting IRROPS. Most airlines would react by either sending another plane (that happened to me on BA in JNB - they put us up for the night in a hotel and the plane arrived the following morning) or re-booking on alternate carriers. They failed to do either of these, or make serious attempts to do either of these. This is what is quite unacceptable here.
Exactly. I know UA doesn't have ETOPS planes sitting idle but I am sure they could have found one to fly over and back (plus a crew) if the airline had been willing to incur the cost. Even a smaller plane would work and they could rebook the remainder. Or alternatively re-book on Air China or elsewhere. But more likely UA thought the problem could be solved quickly and later learned that it couldn't.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vkng
On the other hand, a GM co-worker's flight GRU-IAH was cancelled last minute on Thursday night last week (short circuit in the cockpit) and they put him and his wife on the direct DL GRU-ATL without any problems.
Maybe this has something to do with local regulations. I've also seen that happen when GIG-IAD was cancelled last year. Even though I called and asked to be rebooked to IAH, the agents at the airport were rebooking pax on whatever was available, including AA and DL.

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's telling that Chinese passengers started fighting back while American passengers stood there and took this - but if these incidents keep occurring, things are going to start getting violent at the airport. What will it take to get airlines to start prioritizing these cases - 200 people ripping the interior of your airplane to pieces causing millions in damage and beating your airport staff unconscious?
There was a case a couple of months ago (I think at SHA but maybe PVG) where pax actually forced their way onto the tarmac in an attempt to get onto a delayed flight.

Pretty sure those people got away with a slap on the wrist too, in the US they would all be in Gitmo by now.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
This whole thing sort of doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is PVG, not some strange outpost without any other flights from UA or other airlines.

I guess we'll never know, but it would be helpful to understand the logic behind the decisions. Was it one of those cascading situations where each time they thought it was solved, something else happened which made the delay longer?

Or was it simply an intent on their part to not rebook passengers?

If it's the former, I can have a little sympathy (within reason) but if it was the latter, that's simply inexcusable.

With UA's network in Asia plus *A network, 200 people should have been easily rerouted back to the US. Any sort of random rerouting is probably better than 3 days of back-and-forth to the airport to find out the flight is cancelled/delayed once again.
Yeah, I read this story with interest as I fly this route regularly. As frequent int'l travellers know, things usually don't go wrong with int'l flights (fewer delays than on domestic flights) but when they do go wrong, truly horrible things can sometimes happen.

That said, the facts here don't make sense. In 3 days, UA could only route 50 pax on alternative flights to the USA? Are flights that busy now? I do remember full summer flights from China, but there must be 100 daily alternatives between PVG and NYC (going east or west -- I've seen the numerous Star routings when looking for award seats). Obviously, another black eye for UA with this incident.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I know UA doesn't have ETOPS planes sitting idle but I am sure they could have found one to fly over and back (plus a crew) if the airline had been willing to incur the cost.
"willing to incur the cost"

And THERE you have it!
As they say, if you're wondering WHY, Follow the Dollar.
It's usually the answer to many conundrums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.