Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Southwest to begin transpac service
Can 737s or 717s make it across the Pacific Ocean?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Well they are made in Seattle and UA is somehow flying them between NRT and HKG, so the answer must be yes.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The sCO 777s are having a terrible time this month with mechanicals... multiple London flights cancelled, Lagos cancelled, this Shanghai flight, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slariz
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Well they are made in Seattle and UA is somehow flying them between NRT and HKG, so the answer must be yes.
With a fuel stop

CO is used to fuel stops with their wimpy TATL 757 so this could be an option for them
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by johnathome
Wasn't implying that but there was quite a lot of discussion in the earlier posts (65/67/69) that the Chinese passengers were the most vocal while the Americans did nothing to protest. I think most Americans realize that shouting and threatening airline personnel can get you in a whole lot of trouble.
Patriot Act?

It is important to realize this was a UA problem, not a China problem. Though it is easy to blame China for anything.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The sCO 777s are having a terrible time this month with mechanicals... multiple London flights cancelled, Lagos cancelled, this Shanghai flight, etc.
Stemming from CO's relative lack of widebody aircraft, their 777s had one of the highest utilization rates in the industry.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
One thing above all else struck me in this story. How sheep-like Americans have become. The passengers were obviously being screwed here. Yet the only ones that seemed willing to fight back and stand up to authority were the Chinese! Isn't this the ultimate paradox? Passengers from and open and free democracy sit like sheep and just take it. Passengers from a communist dominated country fight back and rail against the machine!

Amazing. That is the real story here.
Exactly ... looks like we've gotten accustomed to bad service (TSA, airlines etc) and have lost the ability to speak up
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by MPsince1984
Yet another example of COdbaUA being "penny wise and pound foolish" ?
See I think everyone's got it all wrong. In order to save costs, UA decided to offer the entire plane the opportunity to experience PVG for "Three Perfect Days." Person who writes the best gets their article published.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by globetrekker84
See I think everyone's got it all wrong. In order to save costs, UA decided to offer the entire plane the opportunity to experience PVG for "Three Perfect Days." Person who writes the best gets their article published.
But how much can you write about a Ho-Jo hotel, a shuttle bus and an airport terminal? Did the pax get to do anything else?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mduell
That's United's problem. The solution is to cancel flight and rebook on other carriers if United is not up to the task.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Make sure you are in a five-star with tons of food and drink.

This is why DL is my airline.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Make sure you are in a five-star with tons of food and drink.
Having UA put stranded travelers in a 5* hotel--YOU are dreaming!! UA dba CO would not even place travelers in a decent hotel, let alone a 5*.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
This is why DL is my airline.
+1 - DL bailed me out yet again going to ORD this week when UA couldn't.

Pillow and a blanket in every seat in F, even in an E75, plus real meals.

Just such a shame int'l travel is important to me, as SWU usage & mileage burning is where they fall short. For domestic-only travelers, I bet they're fantastic.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
+1 - DL bailed me out yet again going to ORD this week when UA couldn't.

Pillow and a blanket in every seat in F, even in an E75, plus real meals.

Just such a shame int'l travel is important to me, as SWU usage & mileage burning is where they fall short. For domestic-only travelers, I bet they're fantastic.
Indeed and most amazing thing is that their aircraft looks clean, cleaner than
pmCO's fleet.......
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:46 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
The least UA could do is give every passenger a fake Louis Vuitton purse. They come with a "certificate of authenticity".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.