Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200 UA passengers stranded for three days in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Anyone that went through the horror, can tell us what happen?

Did you get rebooked on another airline?
Did you leave the airport (what type of visa) and what type of visa?
Did UA put you up in hotel?
What is your elite status?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by oldmonster
My wife and daughter was stranded at NRT at the moment as their NRT-ORD on 7/14 was cancelled. My experience with the new UA suggested that the agent tried their best to build road blockers if you try to rebook an alternative routes. They gave me all kinds of excuses and kept saying it is not allowed, no matter what I found.
On the other hand, a GM co-worker's flight GRU-IAH was cancelled last minute on Thursday night last week (short circuit in the cockpit) and they put him and his wife on the direct DL GRU-ATL without any problems.

Seems like it really depends on what agent you talk to.

Then the DL flight was delayed from 21:30 until 00:50.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
At the first look, I thought it was 200 UA passengers stranded in HKG (with the 4-mile F fare). LOL!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Anyone that went through the horror, can tell us what happen?

Did you get rebooked on another airline?
Did you leave the airport (what type of visa) and what type of visa?
Did UA put you up in hotel?
What is your elite status?
Good questions and the whole story is strange to me, UA has several flights daily from PVG to the States (SFO, ORD, LAX, EWR). If there was a big problem with the plane, they should have been putting people on alternate flights and getting them back into the US.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
American Sheeple vs. Chinese Strength

One thing above all else struck me in this story. How sheep-like Americans have become. The passengers were obviously being screwed here. Yet the only ones that seemed willing to fight back and stand up to authority were the Chinese! Isn't this the ultimate paradox? Passengers from and open and free democracy sit like sheep and just take it. Passengers from a communist dominated country fight back and rail against the machine!

Amazing. That is the real story here.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CNN is reporting that the passengers spent three days in the airport.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For those who missed the GMA segment:
http://gma.yahoo.com/united-passenge...opstories.html

There is simply no excuse for this - none. Over the course of 1-2 days, all of these folks could have been accommodated on other airlines, or UA could have chartered a flight from another carrier. Three days is simply inexcusable.

It's telling that Chinese passengers started fighting back while American passengers stood there and took this - but if these incidents keep occurring, things are going to start getting violent at the airport. What will it take to get airlines to start prioritizing these cases - 200 people ripping the interior of your airplane to pieces causing millions in damage and beating your airport staff unconscious?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by blueman2
One thing above all else struck me in this story. How sheep-like Americans have become. The passengers were obviously being screwed here. Yet the only ones that seemed willing to fight back and stand up to authority were the Chinese! Isn't this the ultimate paradox? Passengers from and open and free democracy sit like sheep and just take it. Passengers from a communist dominated country fight back and rail against the machine!

The real story for me is how this could happen to the US airline with the biggest and bestest route network whose CEO is currently extolling the virtues of said route network to captive customers daily while also touting the most flights to Asia of any US carrier.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by blueman2

They obviously took lessons from this lady at HKG (from a few years ago):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVw7...layer_embedded

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CNN is reporting that the passengers spent three days in the airport.
The abcnews link that I saw said the passengers were put up in hotels.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Typically the qualified person is not the issue with field repairs, it is getting the correct parts on location.
Just a thought: if the issue is getting the parts to the right place, clearing customs, etc, then the moment it was clear that the plane had a mechanical problem that would take days to fix, UA should have begun rebooking pax onto other flights, other airlines, etc.

Utterly inexcusable.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by endrond
Just a thought: if the issue is getting the parts to the right place, clearing customs, etc, then the moment it was clear that the plane had a mechanical problem that would take days to fix, UA should have begun rebooking pax onto other flights, other airlines, etc.

Utterly inexcusable.
It might have taken agents longer than 3 days to rebook all of them in SHARES .
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
sigh. sucks that it happened. i got a family member flying on this flight in a few days too. here's to hoping for a smooth journey...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
I just shake my head in disbelief.

It's not like the personnel over there weren't talking to decision makers over here. I guess the decision made here was, to strand them over there.

My oh my! A costly poor decision(s).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
This is simply appalling and this company will fail with management making these decisions. I'm glad GMA picked it up and I hope that they start picking up all of the issues that COdbaUA has introduced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.