Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by bubbashow
LMFAO!
This entire thread is pathetic. Again...by just stating what you are doing online isn't going to send any message to UA.
I think you may have mistaken the target audience for this thread. I don't anticipate that UA will see or do ANYTHING based on posts here - as you've pointed out.
However, I am pleased to read stories of folks walking with their $$$s, as I have done. It is THIS and only THIS which could (but likely will NOT) help this plane wreck of a merger.

FT is 'my target audience' when posting here.
YMMV
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So unless if F you're just another kettle.
I beg to differ! I would submit that - under the current management team - using the "unless" qualifier in your post was inaccurate. I believe you are JUST ANOTHER KETTLE, no matter where you sit!!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:21 am

Trying to burn the last of my miles and discounts that Craptiental gave me for the pathetic service experiences when I was still flying them earlier in the year.

Used a $$$ certificate last week when booking my wife and her mom on a European trip for later in the year. The process to redeem the TCV eCerts is completely different than it was (and completely different from the instructions still on their website.) Enter it BEFORE the booking, enter the pin, type in a verification code that I’m not a program, etc. Booked them for about $1200 each on a coach fare with a stopover in the middle.

When it finally tickets, the voucher discount is not credited. Despite the US-EMEA flights on Craptiental metal, and them selling me the whole itinerary as their ticket, they say the middle 700 mile flight for the stopover is a codeshare so the voucher is not valid (despite the 15 minutes of steps they took to enter it on-line.) I cancelled the ticket, booked the whole itinerary on another airline for about $800 each.

It’s not even worth it to redeem their $$$ of certs. How continually pathetic.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
On top of the $3K we dropped on AA last minute on Friday on last minute-same day tix to MSP (gave UA a chance, they cancelled outbound 10-30 minutes right after booking, so I cancelled on them), just spent another $3,500 on AA to return to MSP later this week.

Outbound already cleared at T-100. No-status relatives in-laws got an auto-upgrade on the return - cheapest fare available; wouldn't have gotten that on UA.

Spend on OALs now up to $11K in the past two months alone. Only booking UA now on short hops where AA is limited (CVG/BWI trip in two weeks).
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
$9K so far with potentially another $6-8K in the next 3-5 months:

- myself BKK-LHR and return on BA (credited to AA)
- trip for three SFO-BKK on either AA (to NRT), CX or JL (credited to AA)
- several all-day Mad Dog Mileage Runs (people who shy away from flying this bird are absolutely silly IMO)

The only thing I really miss on United is Channel 9.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just spent another $400 for MCI-BOS r/t on AA. UA was cheaper by $100, but the likelihood that I will have an mx/crew delay (which I've already had several times this year) is so great, that I'd rather travel on an airline that has their act together.

Plus I don't have to fight for F with UDU, against kettles with ToDs.

ETA: It's a little amount, compared to those buying paid F/C, but I've got several more tickets to buy this year, so the total amount will certainly go up.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Aug 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Just booked $480 one-way FC trip on DL ATL-EWR.

UA and DL offering the same price on the same route, leaving within 25 mins of each other. UA was offering an RJ with no food. DL offered a mainline aircraft with wife, AVOD and a dinner service.

Same route, same price, same timing.

DL got my money. I've made 1K. I don't need the 500 miles from UA.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
DL offered a mainline aircraft with wife, AVOD and a dinner service.
Do you get to keep the wife?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
UA and DL offering the same price on the same route, leaving within 25 mins of each other. UA was offering an RJ with no food. DL offered a mainline aircraft with wife, AVOD and a dinner service.
Yikes. No thanks, DL.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Needed to price some tickets TXL-LAS in mid September for a work function.

United can get me there for $1206 through EWR. AA (through BA) is actually a bit more at $1418 through LHR. Is $212 in savings worth dealing with potential MX, WX and general UA foolishness through EWR? Not bloody likely. I actually have to get there on the dates I select, and not when UA feels I should.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
On top of the $3K we dropped on AA last minute on Friday on last minute-same day tix to MSP (gave UA a chance, they cancelled outbound 10-30 minutes right after booking, so I cancelled on them), just spent another $3,500 on AA to return to MSP later this week.

Outbound already cleared at T-100. No-status relatives in-laws got an auto-upgrade on the return - cheapest fare available; wouldn't have gotten that on UA.

Spend on OALs now up to $11K in the past two months alone. Only booking UA now on short hops where AA is limited (CVG/BWI trip in two weeks).
Explain to me how non-status relatives got auto upgraded...that should not be possible, or am I reading this wrong?

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Needed to price some tickets TXL-LAS in mid September for a work function.

United can get me there for $1206 through EWR. AA (through BA) is actually a bit more at $1418 through LHR. Is $212 in savings worth dealing with potential MX, WX and general UA foolishness through EWR? Not bloody likely. I actually have to get there on the dates I select, and not when UA feels I should.
Not to mention you will get to use the Galleries F lounge in T5 (even the one in T3 is awesome) as opposed to the crappy and overcrowded UC in EWR...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Explain to me how non-status relatives got auto upgraded...that should not be possible, or am I reading this wrong?
It was an Instant upgrade fare - extra $20 per ticket over cheapest available Y fare. Well worth it.

I'm 4/4 on complimentary AA upgrades (latest two on my first ticket booked more than 4 days out both cleared right at 4 days) and 2/2 using instruments. Loving the world of AA.

Back to sucky sCO RJs next week but only because the markets didn't work well on AA.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just spent 1900 to JL/AA for CGK-NRT-DFW-ATL; return. Normally would have gone to UA as I attend a conference each NOV in the US. Booked into S, eVIP all cleared on TPAC portions at booking.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA-1K--1MM, SPG- Titanium, HH-Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle, Global Entry
EWR-SEA round trip for Columbus Day weekend, first class 1500 for me and 340 plus 40K miles for wife(burned a 250 e-cert bringing hers to 109 plus miles).

Doing a bunch of biz related travel for Q4 now so more to come as well pleasure travel for December. Hoorah!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffK69
EWR-SEA round trip for Columbus Day weekend, first class 1500 for me and 340 plus 40K miles for wife(burned a 250 e-cert bringing hers to 109 plus miles).

Doing a bunch of biz related travel for Q4 now so more to come as well pleasure travel for December. Hoorah!
That sounds suspiciously like a UA routing ticket...that's not for this thread

(if a different one, please enlighten us!)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Great! I CC'd $misek with the receipts of $2k I spent on AA and DL on Mon after UA cancelled my flight
I have a growing stack of AA, US, FL and B6 boarding passes representing about $8,000 in domestic travel I plan to send SMI/J in December. They'll be joined by two AC tickets for my wife and me WAS-LHR worth another $2,000. I could have booked a UA nonstop IAD-LHR, but opted to fly AC via YUL and pay more. No faith in UA operations anymore, especially overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.