Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
DL - NYC/Sin, EWR/Dub, DL/LHR x 2pax both 1k's

just qualified on the platinum match for UA 1Ks. Flew 28,000 miles within 5 weeks on Delta to qualify and looking to book more over next week.

we live in North NJ and are willing to dirve to JFK to fly DL rather than UA.
Not even using our regional and global certs this year, unwilling to pay for a w fare to use global and not flying regional on UA.

already qualified for 1k for 2013 for flying to date on UA. :-(
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
No need to spend with any airline!

Make 1K again in August. UA has not deemed me GS worthy.

I'm now telecommuting as much as possible.

This is my 3rd week in a row not having to waste endless hours in an aluminum can!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I've probably spent a good $6-8k that UA would have automatically gotten in the past. That all went to US where I'll be a CP this year.

Only one flight in C no UA because it couldn't be avoided, and credited to US. Total MP PQM/PQS balance this year: 0/0.

UA certainly hasn't missed me, and I haven't missed them.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by snic
$650 for tickets from NY to Miami on Delta. UA doesn't fly this route non-stop, and previously we would have (1) paid more, and (2) changed planes in IAD, just to be on UA. But now it's not worth it.
Last time I checked, UA still does EWR-MIA nonstop. But if you have to insist that EWR is not NYC then I can't help.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:01 pm

Booked US Air for two employees, coast-to-coast round trip. Sorry United. I have a United Mileage Plus Explorer card and always look for United before I look for anything else but the fares are not competitive. Now I have a US Airways Mastercard. United, the world is a competitive place.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by 787fan
Last time I checked, UA still does EWR-MIA nonstop. But if you have to insist that EWR is not NYC then I can't help.
I think he means JFK, EWR is close to saying that flying into MKE is the same as ORD or RIC is the same as DCA.

For some people EWR is too far away from the city.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 pm

How do you mean "poorly treat their customers?"

I've flown UA multiple times in the past 3 weeks from ORD to SFO/ LAX and ORD to the East coast and the flights have all been just fine, from getting to the airport, interactions with staff at the airport, and to the service on the plane. No rude service, generally cheery onboard service, and on time flights. Frankly, that's what I look for and that's what I"ve gotten lately on UA.

Originally Posted by ldsant
Just curious here - how many have actually spent $ with other airlines INSTEAD of United due to United's poor service? I just spent over $600 in the last two days with another airline to a city that is a "hub" city for United. This is due to United's poor customer service.

Since UA has now become "all about the $" I'm wondering (obviously not a very scientific survey here) how much they have lost to others because of how poorly they treat their customers.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasondc
I've flown UA multiple times in the past 3 weeks from ORD to SFO/ LAX and ORD to the East coast and the flights have all been just fine, from getting to the airport, interactions with staff at the airport, and to the service on the plane. No rude service, generally cheery onboard service, and on time flights. Frankly, that's what I look for and that's what I"ve gotten lately on UA.
"The last three weeks" IMO is very, very different experience-wise from the March-August timeframe
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Still having mechanical issues and unexplained delays. When delays happen, they do not even bother announcing it anymore. All international flights (>$7,000) for the past few months have gone to OneWorld.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:05 pm

well, yes, March- August...

.. the March - August timeframe apparently wasnt great. but honestly, my flights were never bad during that time. maybe I was lucky. but since end of August/ all of September ,I've had no problems. and even with the occasional delay I've always had decent to great crews on board (both sUA and sCO). Overall, my experiences have been fine and far from "poor", which is what I expect domestically.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
"The last three weeks" IMO is very, very different experience-wise from the March-August timeframe
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I did 35K miles on AA, roughly $4K. Now have 12K to keep my 1K then will try to see if I can meet the AA EXP 55K challenge, since I am only 20k left.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 pm

"What did you spend today on another airline that UA would have normally received?"

The answer is the same everyday: not one cent. UA gets theirs when they have the price. If someone else does, they get theirs. Fares being equal, UA gets it everyday: awards are easeir to get and *A flies more places than the others.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
"What did you spend today on another airline that UA would have normally received?"

The answer is the same everyday: not one cent. UA gets theirs when they have the price. If someone else does, they get theirs. Fares being equal, UA gets it everyday: awards are easeir to get and *A flies more places than the others.
I'm quite the opposite. I never spend a penny on UA (really CO) any more.

I should also say I'm burning my way through 500,000 MP miles and my wife enjoys the status when travelling on other Star airlines, so it isn't all bad. But spend money with CO? you've got to be kidding.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
This last week I had to book about $10k in travel for a big multi-city refundable trip throughout Asia starting in the US. I booked in and out of the US on UA for about $3k and the other $7k was booked on other airlines. Granted they wouldn't have gotten the business because MNL to SIN isn't possible on UA. But, this meant that I have switched my behavior on domestic travel. When I pull up Egencia and put preferred airline I click both DL and UA. I now book the most attractive flight.

I would say that since I made 1k in June I have given an honest $8k in domestic travel to DL. I book very close in flights (7 to 10 days out) and often refundable.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Finally got my 1K2MM FIL off UA auto-pilot this week...he's doing a HKG-SFO r/t, would typically book UA and be done with it. Told him he should do SQ instead...somehow $2K cheaper ($6K vs. $8K), and we know the ride will be far superior. And of course, still gets his PQM.

He now feels liberated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.