Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Finally got my 1K2MM FIL off UA auto-pilot this week...he's doing a HKG-SFO r/t, would typically book UA and be done with it. Told him he should do SQ instead...somehow $2K cheaper ($6K vs. $8K), and we know the ride will be far superior. And of course, still gets his PQM.

He now feels liberated
Wait till he takes the flight. I switched from UA to SQ on the same route last month and I just loved it. Would be flying SQ from now on even if they are more expensive.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Another 900.00 lost. 1 ticket ord-msp and ord-dtw. All going to WN. With the current promo, 2 flights in Business Select get me one free ticket.

I'm also about to book mdw-bdl. 600.00, UA 420.00. Oh well,I'm going for companian pass and the wife can fly free with me! Could've been 1K again but I stopped at Gold.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:25 pm

I booked DEL-MUC-SFO on LH instead of DEL-EWR-SFO on UA. First time in a decade that I booked a flight on a *A carrier for a route that UA flies. With LH, I feel confident that if they have a seat in J, they'll give it to me.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Since I dropped UA Cold turkey back in May, I've spent about $7k on AA flights instead of giving them to UA.

I just bought another $535 ticket to Denver for next week. I have 2 other trips this month which I'll credit to AA as well.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just spent 4K on a biz class purchase (oneworld and AA) that Star and UA would have normally received.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's hardly anything, but I went to Phoenix last month for a concert. I spent $108 on AA on the outbound even though UA was the same price. This way I actually got an upgrade on one of the flights. Last year I would have gone r/t on UA.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
50 million from UA to AA

Our company did 37 million with UA in 2011. travel was up 25% this year. Did company wide status match and contract with AA. UA will get a small fraction of our travel dollars. They keep dropping by travel certs and upgrades but just don't get it. When we buy a last minute ticket we often get upgraded but when we know weeks in advance and purchase a lower fare class we NEVER get upgraded. AA we almost always get upgraded ( like UA used to be). Why should we give our high price fares and C ticket purchases to UA when we don't get upgraded when we are able to buy a lower fare class. Good luck to CO DBA UA the new RYAN Air of the US, seems like you want to cater to the price shopping leisure traveler and rather collect a few dollars from them for an upgrade but don't expect us business travelers to sit in the back while your competition appreciates our business and still get upgraded over the price shopping leisure travelers.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Awesome! ^^^
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:22 pm

Until this trip I've always connected on UA from ICT to ATL. I took the non-stop on AirTran to ATL yesterday and back today. About $400 UA lost.

Next week, for the first time in 3 years, I've intentionally booked myself on AA to give them another try.

Really, really tired of RJ's and the mickey mouse.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
Our company did 37 million with UA in 2011. travel was up 25% this year. Did company wide status match and contract with AA. UA will get a small fraction of our travel dollars. They keep dropping by travel certs and upgrades but just don't get it. When we buy a last minute ticket we often get upgraded but when we know weeks in advance and purchase a lower fare class we NEVER get upgraded. AA we almost always get upgraded ( like UA used to be). Why should we give our high price fares and C ticket purchases to UA when we don't get upgraded when we are able to buy a lower fare class. Good luck to CO DBA UA the new RYAN Air of the US, seems like you want to cater to the price shopping leisure traveler and rather collect a few dollars from them for an upgrade but don't expect us business travelers to sit in the back while your competition appreciates our business and still get upgraded over the price shopping leisure travelers.
This is an awesome post. Thank you. It's really helpful to hear from someone speaking for a large group.

$2,000: Chose LH instead of UA because I know I won't get upgraded on UA anyway, so thought I'd try the LH upgrade program, where I at least have a fair and transparent shot at it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
$700 last minute one way B fare on DL. UA has no mainline to the city I'm in.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
ZERO!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
900 on WN mdw-slc. I'm not flying Express on ord-slc.

Originally Posted by nevansm
$700 last minute one way B fare on DL. UA has no mainline to the city I'm in.
You sound like me!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
That's a lot of TOD's to sell to make up for lost revenue.

Wonder what the flow of communication is like inside? Must not flow too well. Had I been Smi/J, knew about this and cared about keeping your business, at minimum, I would have had Compton and Foland camped out on your doorstep putting together a one-off program making sure you didn't go anywhere. Best case, it would have been me, Smi/J, doing that.

Let me ask, are you saying the Dreamliner and Route network weren't enough?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
$293.00 - went to AA instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.