Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
UA web site down, AC got the business

I had to buy a ticket from YVR-BOS yesterday. The UA web site was down for over an hour.

After trying in vain several times I booked on Air Canada. Ticket was about $1,100, in Z class.

Can anyone fix United's IT FUBAR?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Purchased a nice (cheap) DUB - IAD - LAS trip for later in the year, with the ridiculously low prices available at the moment. It'll be a nice little drop of miles into my A3 *G also.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
PIT-CDG in September on US.

Every other carrier has dropped prices (for Y) into the $870-$900 range. Not UA, which is still hovering at $1100 to fly the 757 through EWR or IAD, or $1200 to get on a 767 through ORD. Discovered I could go out in Y and back in Envoy on US for $1300. Guess what I chose? If UA had matched the $870 in Y, I probably wouldn't even have been looking; as it is I spent more to fly US. This will be my 1st international flight that isn't UA in more years than I care to count.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Spent about $6k on DL domestic flights this year, but I probably would have done that anyway. However, since the AA EXP status match which I received on 5/29 I have done 11 r/ts on AA (and 1 on DL) and 0 on UA. Spent about $8k on AA so far. Most of that would have gone to UA
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Within the past month of two, we've sent about five tickets to AA, that would normally go to UA. Probably north of $1500. Still have several tickets to book for the fall, which will likely all go to AA.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Other than the SQ deal, I booked a last-minute one-way HKG-DEN with Cathay Pacific to PVG, and AA the rest of the way. ~$1150. And, thanks to the status match, I'll be using a already confirmed SWU on AA to be in C. Good riddance, UA.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I've spent about $3500 on US so far that UA would have gotten without hesitation before they killed MP. I'm going to blow about another $1200 on a ticket here shortly.

UA did get a C ticket out of me this year, but that's only because I HAD to fly UA if I wanted *A C to Asia due to FAA and ridiculous codeshare costs. OZ or SQ would have gotten it if foreign carriers would have been allowed, or US would have gotten it if they flew to Asia.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Used to be my first choice, and until they get their act together will only fly UA if can't avoid. Booked last Friday and flew 6 flights on DL over Su/Mo/Tu this week ... $2K to DL. Oh, and this Silver on DL got upgraded 3 of 6 flights, heard on every flight, "Thanks for flying with us, we appreciated your business" and not one delay.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm still only taking UA whenever I have to and it makes sense. SEA-SFO-SLC makes more sense than SEA-PHX-SLC, for example. Less time and less money on UA, so I don't mind it for a short flight.

That said, I just dumped another couple grand on US. Now the woman I'm seeing is starting to fly too. Sponsoring her to silver on US so all that business that I would have suggested she put on UA will also be going to US too. There's a few grand there at least with her and her son traveling.

It's not big money, but it's money UA would have gotten otherwise prior to the merger and destroying MP. Plus the fact that I'll be requalifying for Plat and may even make Chairman's keeps me with US for next year too, while still maintaining some perks for those times I can't avoid UA.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
About $3300 on BUD-SFO-BUD on BA this fall.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
$1,100 on a LGA-DFW AA trip. Used my bounty of SWUs to confirm each way already. Excited for my first AA experience in a decade!

Before my latest debacles, I would have slummed it on UA on one of the ghetto 735s ex-EWR and would have undoubtedly sat in a crappy Y seat. No thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
$1,100 on a LGA-DFW AA trip. Used my bounty of SWUs to confirm each way already. Excited for my first AA experience in a decade!

Before my latest debacles, I would have slummed it on UA on one of the ghetto 735s ex-EWR and would have undoubtedly sat in a crappy Y seat. No thanks.
You burned SWU's on LGA-DFW? Wouldn't a comp upgrade be nearly a sure thing for an EXP? Surely your SWU's aren't expiring that soon...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You burned SWU's on LGA-DFW? Wouldn't a comp upgrade be nearly a sure thing for an EXP? Surely your SWU's aren't expiring that soon...
We have 24 of them combined over three EXP-matchers...and since my in-laws are in HKG they probably won't be using theirs anytime soon
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
DXB-FRA-JFK-DXB. for next week. UA never would have gotten the DXB-FRA / NYC-DXB portion as that always goes to EK but up until all these cancellations, I would have flown FRA-NYC w UA. Instead booked that sequent w SQ. (Full F tkt)

Still flying UA JFK-HNL R/T but it's just a Y fare upgraded
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
$3k last week on a trip to Europe in the spring that has traditionally gone to LH/UA in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.