Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Yesterday MFR-BUR, two weeks ago MFR-FCO (biz). I fly UA far less than I use to. Oh, I'll make my 1k status, but in past years I flew nearly 200K on UA. Not any more. I'm one of those "over entitled" elite flyers the CFO complains about.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Just flew a domestic transcon r/t in paid F on AA at a cost of $1145.00. It was booked around two weeks ago, so not today, but I didn't see the thread until today.

I'll be flying my first AA MR in about ten days, in economy, to secure platinum status through Feb 15, at a cost of 241.00

Since moving over to AA this year, I've spent a bit north of 2.5K, mostly on paid F tickets.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:11 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Actually, mine is kind of reverse. I had already bought on AA for a trip for $315, but last minute changes beyond my control made me book on UA for $1,800.

No Barbie jets though.

When I return next Friday, I will have secured 1K status for 2014.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Booked F SFO-SEA for the weekend on Alaska because unlike UA a snack/small meal is served on this flight.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:22 pm
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Booked several flights today, none on UA.

SFO-SAN on WN for $86, because UA wanted $190 for the same time slot.

STL-SFO on US Airways for $290, compared to $1,300 for UA. Sure, the UA flight is nonstop, but I can handle a 1-hour layover in PHX to save $1,000.

SAN-DTW on Delta for $509, because it is nonstop, and the best UA could do was routing through IAH for $900.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The_Man_Who_Flew_Too_Much
STL-SFO on US Airways for $290, compared to $1,300 for UA. Sure, the UA flight is nonstop, but I can handle a 1-hour layover in PHX to save $1,000.
These types of prices are just insulting (and a key reason why I now hope US/AA falls through). I'll pay more for convenience, but 4x is just ridiculous.

Do we have historical data on these types of domestic "thin" routes?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
These types of prices are just insulting (and a key reason why I now hope US/AA falls through). I'll pay more for convenience, but 4x is just ridiculous.

Do we have historical data on these types of domestic "thin" routes?
It is not insulting to some, or else the route and fare will disappear. There are those of us for whom that non-stop helps close a 500k order and get another 500k in the pipeline, ergo that 1000 fare difference is chump change.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
It is not insulting to some, or else the route and fare will disappear. There are those of us for whom that non-stop helps close a 500k order and get another 500k in the pipeline, ergo that 1000 fare difference is chump change.
At those prices (and with a mediocre product), it probably will...will serve them right
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
This week $900 AA F to SJC; $2k+ family F tix for T-giving. $15k and counting YTD to AA or WN.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Just bought (2) OW tix ITO>LAX @ $525 each from HA because UA won't allow us to fly our 15lb dog in cabin. There is no reason that a small dog should be prevented from flying in cabin from Hawaii to the mainland. Stupid policy, UA.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by donnyb
Just bought (2) OW tix ITO>LAX @ $525 each from HA because UA won't allow us to fly our 15lb dog in cabin. There is no reason that a small dog should be prevented from flying in cabin from Hawaii to the mainland. Stupid policy, UA.
15 lb dogs are not "small dogs" and do not fit in a carrier under the seat in front of you. That's what boarding (of the doggie hotel kind) is all about. Better for anyone, including the dog and the people around you on the plane. (And I have 3 dogs for the record...)
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Last month, I flew for $300 on Jetblue from HOU to JFK. IAH to LGA on UA was $1200. Insane. HOU is significantly closer to me than IAH, and the JFK terminal for JetBlue was much nicer than LGA (how is there no UA club past security?). Will probably fly JetBlue for future NYC travel.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
15 lb dogs are not "small dogs" and do not fit in a carrier under the seat in front of you. That's what boarding (of the doggie hotel kind) is all about. Better for anyone, including the dog and the people around you on the plane. (And I have 3 dogs for the record...)
Sorry but you are wrong. ALL other airlines allow in cabin out of Hawaii to mainland. And 15lb is allowed in cabin. She fits comfortably in her carrier that is correctly sized. We have cleared our booking with HA as proof.

And that is not even the point. UA is alone in the no dogs in cabin policy from Hawaii as far as my research can ascertain. There was an online petition circulated to try to get UA to wake up. That is why I posted the lost business for UA.

FYI Per HA website:
Regulations and Restrictions
Maximum one (1) pet carrier per passenger:

System Maximum Weight Maximum Length Maximum Width Maximum Depth
English 25 lbs 16 inches 10 inches 9.5 inches
Metric 11 kg 40 cm 25 cm 24 cm
Pets exceeding 25 lbs / 11 kg, but less than 70 lbs, must be transported as check-in luggage.

Last edited by donnyb; Oct 12, 2013 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have meetings next month in Boston, New York, London, and Delaware, in that order. Looked at AA and DL side by side; did not shop UA. I booked SEA-SLC-BOS / JFK-CDG-LHR-JFK-PHL-ATL-SEA, all on DL/AF, for about $1,200 including EC upcharges for some longer segments.

Considered BOS-NYC on UA just to credit one last flight to MP before the end of 2013, but the BOS-EWR UAX flights were all $99 (AA and B6 to JFK: $69), and I found a Greyhound nonstop for $2, so chose Greyhound over United for better reliability, comfort, and probably speed.

Originally Posted by pinks
HOU is significantly closer to me than IAH, and the JFK terminal for JetBlue was much nicer than LGA (how is there no UA club past security?).
I don't think there's even a bar or proper food on the UA concourse at LGA, post-security, is there? Just a disgusting Auntie Anne's stand. It's third world.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Spent $3K less to fly AA/BA to BLR in business class for a trip in December. On UA, this would have put me over 200K PQMs for the year.

I could have flown UA/LH out of another station like SFO or ORD and paid much closer to what I paid AA. But for what? Four more RPUs that won't clear and two more GPUs that I cannot use. In the past, I would have done just that, because I valued the benefits. Now, what benefits?

Will likely requal for 1K under PQD, but on long hauls I won't go out of my way to fly 016 ticket or UA metal.

Next summer, if UA tries to gouge me for the privilege of flying ex-COS, I will drive to DEN (from October to May, I fly only ex-COS due to snow) but I will try WN at least once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.