Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tom911
UA is the only airline with a sizable hub at SFO (Virgin is headquartered here, but just a few destinations). That wouldn't be much different than AA flyers looking for alternatives at DFW. UA doesn't provide a lot of service there. If convenience is your highest priority, and nonstop flights fall in that parameter, there isn't anyone at SFO that can compete against UA on that scale. I notice a lot of FTers are willing to take those AA connections now and quite a few I personally know in the Bay Area have done AA status matches.
Agreed. The same principle applied to me and my $1,799 EWR-YQB.

I easily could have flown AC LGA-YUL-YQB or LGA-YYZ-YQB for about $650.

But I didn't do it because I had back-to-back trips and the connection on the way back at YUL or YYZ with the pre-clearance for U.S, customs, which meant that the 1 hr 10 min trip YQB-EWR, would have turned into a 4-hour ordeal, which would have caused me to miss my next trip.
Old May 19, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
UA is the only airline with a sizable hub at SFO (Virgin is headquartered here, but just a few destinations). That wouldn't be much different than AA flyers looking for alternatives at DFW. UA doesn't provide a lot of service there. If convenience is your highest priority, and nonstop flights fall in that parameter, there isn't anyone at SFO that can compete against UA on that scale. I notice a lot of FTers are willing to take those AA connections now and quite a few I personally know in the Bay Area have done AA status matches.
San Francisco flyers do have limited options but there are still options. Fly Virgin America and make them grow; fly American & Alaska. Hope that enough follow suit to put a sizable dent in UA SFO Operations and make them shrink.

Lot's of times I have to connect anyhow to go most places out of San Francisco on United. So it doesn't matter to me if the connection is in DEN/LAX/IAH/IAD or DFW/ORD/JFK.
Old May 19, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by channa
I agree that this is likely their mindset. They think that with their route network, and with load factors as high as there are, there is only so much room on the plane. And if an Elite doesn't buy that seat, someone else will, so they'd much rather sell it to someone else who may also buy things that Elite would not (e.g., bag fees and E+ or upgrades because Elites get them free, club access that already comes with your status/int'l ticket, etc.), and doesn't cost them as much in terms of bonus miles or other utilized services (e.g., drinks or shortbread cookies at the club).

Had they been running 60% load factors like they were 20+ years ago, then sure, they'd want both that Elite and non-Elite customer, as there's room for more. But now with ~85%+ LFs they are choosing to be selective in which customers they want to fly around.

The fact that so many have acknowledged moving to AA and AA has even hinted at some numbers of UA 1Ks that have moved over may actually make UA happy, as that means UA may now have fewer Elites who will tie up inventory with costly mileage bonuses and without ancillary upsells.

Bottom line, it seems the more you fly, the less UA wants you as a customer. And this comment was not a faux-pas by the new CFO, rather it was a calculated statement to enrage the very customers who they are deliberately trying to drive away.
I think it is simpler then this. UA does want the elites but believes they will keep them regardless of how watered down the benefits are. A typical flight from IAD to SFO is more than 50% elite. They would NOT fill these seats with tourists every weekday all year long. Although the number of 1K/GS/Platinum fliers is a small percentage it is probably 20% or more of their revenue.

Their CFO's comments don't really make any sense though because the cost to United of the Elite program is very little. They only give upgrades now (especially international) if we buy an expensive fare and nobody else wants to pay more. Except for a once a year vacation, I never check bags. I never use the check-in counter. I never call the 1K line unless there is something I can't do online or it is their screwup. I pay for my RCC membership every year. I blow all my miles on full awards for short domestic trips for my kids. What exactly are they spending on me as a 1K?
Old May 19, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Nicksterguy
I believe that this sums it up completely - and for those of you who have followed channa's posts, he has been telling us these things for several years regarding CO and now COdbaUA.

In fairness, CO's position was that they never had a level above Platinum because they believed that their 75K+ customers flew them anyway if they made Platinum, so there was no reason to provide further incentive to fly more.

Now it's possible that CO was being more tactful back then than what we've seen out of Smisek et al. in the current regime. Or they've changed their view since then.

And also, economic conditions change this substantially. This kind of stuff we're seeing from this management team would never fly in a down economy where they're having to fight for customers to fill their planes. But now they seem comfortable that they have enough customers for their capacity that they can tinker with this stuff.

It remains to be seen what happens as more customers become disgruntled and leave. Or if the economic situation worsens, and they no longer have a loyal customer base to carry them through the down times.
Old May 19, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I think it is simpler then this. UA does want the elites but believes they will keep them regardless of how watered down the benefits are. A typical flight from IAD to SFO is more than 50% elite. They would NOT fill these seats with tourists every weekday all year long. Although the number of 1K/GS/Platinum fliers is a small percentage it is probably 20% or more of their revenue.

Their CFO's comments don't really make any sense though because the cost to United of the Elite program is very little. They only give upgrades now (especially international) if we buy an expensive fare and nobody else wants to pay more. Except for a once a year vacation, I never check bags. I never use the check-out counter. I never call unless there is something I can't do online. I pay for my RCC membership every year. I blow all my miles on full awards for short domestic trips for my kids. What exactly are they spending on me as a 1K?
First, I believe what John Rainey meant was not that they don't want elites to fly UA any more, simply that they want to reduce the benefits of elite status.

They're not against elites, but they only want to retain them if they will not create a drag on the company's bottom line.

Second, the fact is that high-level elites used to have a pretty extensive and costly infrastructure and system at PMUA, from dedicated CS, representatives, to SWU's, to discounted RCC memberships. And of course, high-level elites never paifd for any of the "unbundled" services, including checked bags, SDC, change fees, etc.

It all added up. And if CO dba UA calculated that a big enough group of these elites were buying inexpensive fares anyway, the advantage to the company was hard to quantify, especially, as Channa wrote, in light of the fact that capacity has been reduced and LF's are consistently very high.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; May 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Sure.

I'll give you an example. In 2011 I had no status with PMCO. Yet I flew with them on 16 segments (not enough for OP Silver), and yet only registered 7,088 miles.

All my miles were EWR-YQB exclusvely.

On some of those trips, I was forced to buy the full-fare Y on this short trip.

How much does that cost? $1,799! That's $2/mile in an ERJ-145.

At that cost, EWR-HKG would have cost me $32,000. And on my flight I had one glass of soda 80% filled with ice, no food, no IFE, nuthin'.

Now that's a "high-value" flyer, in other words, one who pays a lot for very little in return...

And what makes me especially valuable is that I didn't qualify for any bottom-line-depleting elite perks...
My analysis around such scenarios and valuing such flyers is that you likely purchased/flew this ticket out of necessity, not because of choice. In the New United where this type of travel is rewarded far more than other types, I may continue to fly United on flights when I have no other realistic options, but I will move all my travel with flight options and disrectionary travel to an airline that reasonably rewards such travel; going forward it doesn't look like that will be on United.

I'm a 1K MM where United has been my primary airline for almost 25 years. I'm truly sorry that United is saying they're not going to reward my business unless I'm taveling full fare, but I've heard the message loud and clear and moved on. My domestic travel is now on Southwest, and I'm moving my international travel to AA.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Their CFO's comments don't really make any sense though because the cost to United of the Elite program is very little. They only give upgrades now (especially international) if we buy an expensive fare and nobody else wants to pay more. Except for a once a year vacation, I never check bags. I never use the check-in counter. I never call the 1K line unless there is something I can't do online or it is their screwup. I pay for my RCC membership every year. I blow all my miles on full awards for short domestic trips for my kids. What exactly are they spending on me as a 1K?
You're essentially proving their point. Every interaction you have with the airline costs them more than the average Joe off the street.

The cost of your Elite-ness is actually quite large. You are earning a healthy bonus on your flights, you are pre-assigning E+ seating they cannot sell to someone else, and you admitted that you're flying on very Elite-heavy flights, flights where they probably would love to have an extra E+ seat to upsell to some E- customer in the back.

Although you pay for your club membership (as do I), the frequency of use on a 1K member is probably very high that it's not a great deal for them (I often bring a guest in the club on my membership, so they really don't like me). Plus 1Ks get the biggest discounts on the membership, so it's really a lose-lose for the airline.

And your use of miles, if by "full" award tickets, you're referring to Standard awards, those are the worst ones for an airline to sell because you are depriving them of a seat they believed they could have otherwise sold for cash. And since you're using them for your kids, I'm guessing you're flying with them, checking their bags for free, bringing them up to E+ with you when you can, and guesting them into the club. Kids can eat a lot of raisin bran and mini muffins, ya know.

It all adds up.

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
AA welcome all United members who are over-entitled

Originally Posted by dkc715
As I suspect United will remove the webcast link, does anyone know how to attach the 30 second comment to this link? It is about 11 minutes and 40 second into the webcast.
AA welcome all United members who are over-entitled. I'm glad that I did not put my million miles with United (UA matched my status incorrectly and I went to AA).

From
http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....ventID=4779518
From their web site:
Investor Relations > Event Details

United Continental Holdings, Inc. at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Transportation Conference
05.17.12 10:10 a.m. ET
Webcast Presentation
Click here for webcast

Title United Continental Holdings, Inc. at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Transportation Conference
Date and Time 05.17.12 10:10 a.m. ET
Location Boston, MA
Unauthorized recording or downloading of this event is not permitted.

© Copyright 2009 Thomson Reuters . All rights reserved.

Last edited by Bacai; May 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
I liked the bit about good bandwidth internet

What are they going to charge I wonder?

The "over-entitled" part was not exactly the best thing to say out-loud - even if true. My earphones did not work in E+ SEA-NRT the other day - bad connector in the seat - lucky I had five seats to myself and that I was so tired I slept the whole way - better than C class, which was empty by the way. So much for yield management. Surely there were a bunch of senior citizens in SEA on a UA email list that could have been persuaded to fork out $500 each on 24 hours notice for a weekend in NRT? That's what I would call real yield management. Meantime I will enjoy F class beds in E+.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
may be an overstatement but with the CFO's talk,
with UA Insider's explanation of upgrades, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18590619-post1532.html
the discussion chinatradermr had with Senior VP of Sales, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18585613-post236.html
the desired relationship of the new UA with it customers and elites is becoming clear.
While there had been much speculation, these instance are all painting a much clear situation -- a Brave New World.
I will go a step further. I find it VERY enlightening that after a communications black-out period, a coordinated effort across multiple channels to drive home the message - UA is not going to spend $ or resources on elite benefits

No one should believe that the comment by the CFO was made without conscious thought. This is marketing and communications strategy.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What I find funny is that when the new rules came out, 1K's were happy! Silvers and Golds got shafted but 1K's told us how great UA is! If the 1K flyers (which I was until 3 years ago) had joined forces with the Silvers, who got the major shaft! Now it's too late. UA is laughing at us!0
1Ks were not happy at all...at least not pmUA 1Ks. United is (on purpose) ticking off every elite group, including Global Services.

Originally Posted by mmack
Read the slides from the dog and pony show:

Bullet point "retain and grow high value flyers for the airline" end quote.

Huh? Did he read his own lecture? Or is there another definition of "high value flyer" we don't know about?
The key is high value FOR THE AIRLINE. As mentioned by others, this is the sit down and shut up flyer they want. Pay a high fare and be happy with your economy seat.

I agree that this is likely their mindset. They think that with their route network, and with load factors as high as there are, there is only so much room on the plane. And if an Elite doesn't buy that seat, someone else will, so they'd much rather sell it to someone else who may also buy things that Elite would not (e.g., bag fees and E+ or upgrades because Elites get them free, club access that already comes with your status/int'l ticket, etc.), and doesn't cost them as much in terms of bonus miles or other utilized services (e.g., drinks or shortbread cookies at the club).
<snip>
The fact that so many have acknowledged moving to AA and AA has even hinted at some numbers of UA 1Ks that have moved over may actually make UA happy, as that means UA may now have fewer Elites who will tie up inventory with costly mileage bonuses and without ancillary upsells.

Bottom line, it seems the more you fly, the less UA wants you as a customer. And this comment was not a faux-pas by the new CFO, rather it was a calculated statement to enrage the very customers who they are deliberately trying to drive away.
Bingo. As usual, Channa has it spot on.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm Reason: formatting
Old May 19, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Couple of observations:

1. Shedding 1Ks seems not to be sensible as a goals for them. Assume that the 1K made it with 20 trans-cons then to replace that flyer with kettles who fly 2x per year they have to find 10 kettles for every 1K they lose. Load factors are high because airlines have cut capacity (the thing they control) but not necessarily because there are dramatically more folks that want to fly at any cost (a thing they don't control). Biz flying is up but the kettle still only takes a couple of vacations per year. So I don't quite see how that math works out.

2. The notion of the dirt cheap 1K is much overblown. Sure there are folks here that absolutely minimize the cost of getting 1K but look again at a typical biz flyer. Even if they are buying far out trans-cons (probably the most cost efficient way to earn the miles) a reasonable guess for a typical flight (I just looked at a few examples out of PDX) is in the $500 range. Even 20 of those is $10K per year. Realistically a lot of those biz flyer mix trans-cons with short hauls where the mileage efficiency is much worse. It would be interesting to know but I'd be willing to wager that the typical 1K actually represents more than $10K revenue to UA per year (and likely more than 15K). On the other hand, a kettle isn't flying only to biz destination but to highly cost competitive leisure destinations. So again - how many 2 or 3 trip per year new kettles do you need to attract to replace a single 1K that you lose on the revenue side. Again - perhaps I a being dense but the math doesn't seem to work.

So - while I accept what UA is doing is their idea of how to reduce their costs I don't think it is because they think they are going to lose 1Ks. If they lose 1Ks in any number the numbers just don't work. They must think that they won't be losing the 1Ks. The thing is (as someone earlier noted) an awful lot of trips in a hub and spoke airline are already connections and it doesn't matter that much where you connect. (Even if the connection city is way off line from a straight line route it may not add all that much time ultimately.) So other than O/D traffic from hubs themselves I think there is more actual alternatives available than folks think. Certainly for those of us that live in non-hubs have choices.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Sure.

I'll give you an example. In 2011 I had no status with PMCO. Yet I flew with them on 16 segments (not enough for OP Silver), and yet only registered 7,088 miles.

All my miles were EWR-YQB exclusvely.

On some of those trips, I was forced to buy the full-fare Y on this short trip.

How much does that cost? $1,799! That's $2/mile in an ERJ-145.

At that cost, EWR-HKG would have cost me $32,000. And on my flight I had one glass of soda 80% filled with ice, no food, no IFE, nuthin'.

Now that's a "high-value" flyer, in other words, one who pays a lot for very little in return...

And what makes me especially valuable is that I didn't qualify for any bottom-line-depleting elite perks...
Why did you pay that price? Was it because no one else was flying that route? That pricing and lack of service will probably not work in hubs where UA has competition.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:12 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
I voted with with my feet and my wallet starting last year (only 3 trips on UA this year) everything else booked on AA. Did not trust them from day one.

1.5MM BIS on UA, BIS now all on AA whenever possible.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Insulting loyal customers. Stay classy.
It's insulting but reading the various forums he is right IMO. Not just for UA but for all airlines and hotel brands I read on this site.

Elite benefits seem to be getting diminished by airlines and hotels all the time. Flights are full and airlines still can't make money it seems.

Flying is becoming more and more mass transit by the day. I am an elite on two different airlines and I rarely if ever get worked up anymore. What's the point? I have to travel and being based in PDX I am limited on who to fly. AS has me by the proverbial balls and I ain't going to WN.

Also for all those switching to AA will be interesting to see what happens to their Explat benefits when they leave bankruptcy or get bought out by US Airways. Giving a 1st class seat to an Explat who bought the cheapest ticket possible 6 months out 7 days prior to departure doesn't seem sustainable to me in the long run. This is how our DFW based sales reps work the system.

Last edited by apodo77; May 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You're essentially proving their point. Every interaction you have with the airline costs them more than the average Joe off the street.

The cost of your Elite-ness is actually quite large. You are earning a healthy bonus on your flights, you are pre-assigning E+ seating they cannot sell to someone else, and you admitted that you're flying on very Elite-heavy flights, flights where they probably would love to have an extra E+ seat to upsell to some E- customer in the back.

Although you pay for your club membership (as do I), the frequency of use on a 1K member is probably very high that it's not a great deal for them (I often bring a guest in the club on my membership, so they really don't like me). Plus 1Ks get the biggest discounts on the membership, so it's really a lose-lose for the airline.

And your use of miles, if by "full" award tickets, you're referring to Standard awards, those are the worst ones for an airline to sell because you are depriving them of a seat they believed they could have otherwise sold for cash. And since you're using them for your kids, I'm guessing you're flying with them, checking their bags for free, bringing them up to E+ with you when you can, and guesting them into the club. Kids can eat a lot of raisin bran and mini muffins, ya know.

It all adds up.
I guess we disagree on the value of this. e+ is marginally better than Southwest (about 1-2" more legroom) which doesn't charge for it. I can always book a southwest flight last minute and be guaranteed a good seat. I took 5 United flights last week all booked less than 24 hours before the flight and was in e- on most of them, which is far worse than Southwest.

Rainey is a brand new CFO and sounded clueless in that investor meeting. I'm sure he regrets making that statement.

The best example is the hotel industry. I use to stay 200+ nights at Hilton. They treated me well and upgraded me frequently. That all stopped a few years ago and as a result I stay exactly 60 nights (probably less this year). It is far better to be the 2nd level at 6 hotel chains then give all of you business to one. United might find the same thing happens to them. In which case instead of my $2500 last week they will sell those tickets for $800 (they were all short).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.