Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What I find funny is that when the new rules came out, 1K's were happy! Silvers and Golds got shafted but 1K's told us how great UA is! If the 1K flyers (which I was until 3 years ago) had joined forces with the Silvers, who got the major shaft! Now it's too late. UA is laughing at us!0
????? Where did you hear 1Ks were happy. If there are any 1Ks that were happy, they are new 1Ks from PMCO who never had a status above Platinum. We 1Ks have lost at least 4 regional upgrades a year, our status means nothing when going up against kettles offered TOD,s and we are not - our GPU's that used to be easy to use are now in many cases worthless........and don't get me started on the mm program

Don't blame 1Ks. We are in the same boat as you
Old May 19, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eflyte
Because the elites are 'hooked' into the program, and they are the ones who are going to be shelling out the extra $100 or $500 for the upgradeable fare, or for the fare that's not cost-competitive with Southwest. For many of us the loyalty benefits entice us to spend substantially more per flight than a 'bargain shopper' who's always going to choose the lowest fare for a given route, even if we're not booking into C or F.
Maybe last year, but the ranks of those that still believe that poppycock are dwindling. Do you still believe in Santa as well?
Old May 19, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Because the elites are 'hooked' into the program, and they are the ones who are going to be shelling out the extra $100 or $500 for the upgradeable fare, or for the fare that's not cost-competitive with Southwest. For many of us the loyalty benefits entice us to spend substantially more per flight than a 'bargain shopper' who's always going to choose the lowest fare for a given route, even if we're not booking into C or F.
Obviously that's the basic analysis of what's in it for the airline, and I think that UaCo probably still agrees with that.

I think Rainey was telling his audience (all money people) that the way the current MP is configured, the bottom line is not benefiting the program, in other words that, given all the perks and benefits, elites are costing the company more than they bring in.

I'm not really sure how that is truly determined, but, in the end, it's more a statement of an approach or business model than an actual hard study of the data.

Again, for those of us who suffered through the last few years of PMCO, it's really nothing new...
Old May 19, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I feel entitled to EXP.
Hold the door, I'm right behind you...
Old May 19, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Maybe last year, but the ranks of those that still believe that poppycock are dwindling. Do you still believe in Santa as well?
That may not be right, although there is one more issue that favors frequent flyers.

Even if we agree that the basic objective for any frequent flyer is spending the least money possible to attain the greatest benefits, one thing is clear, they have to fly UA, or one of its partners.

A true kettle is not loyal and thus fickle.

So it's not entirely clear if the departure of an elite would result in that seat automatically filled by a kettle.

Most likely, given the reduction in capacity, and, yes, because of the cheap fares, it would be. But removing loyalty and counting on commodity-driven customers creates an additional risk factor.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by SFO777
Santa Smisek brought us a lump of coal. And without pillows in F, its sure uncomfortable to sit on!
Old May 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by goingbananas
This thread will go viral here on FT and I can see Rainey's e-mail and voice mail "clogged up" by sales and marketing people saying...."... man!!...nice job....Bozo!!"

Maybe UA can capture some revenue here similar to restaurants do as a "corking fee" for customers bringing their own bottle of wine to consume. Charge a service fee for using your own device!

To summarize the forecast at UA these days for elites....."Rainey....with a chance of $mi$ek!"
A "screwing fee"!
Old May 19, 2012, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donnerparty
But Jeff was entitled to that $14.7m in a quarter with a huge loss when only 2 years prior he said he wouldn't take a salary unless the airline was profitable.
Nothing that you said is true. In fact, you're blatantly mashing random facts together in an attempt to defame another person. Real classy.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just listened to the first 15 min and had to stop. EXACTLY what I've been saying. They LOVE SHARES and are doing exactly what there business plan is. "over entitled". I love that line. Did he write it while sitting on his corp jet?
UA does not operate a corporate fleet.

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
And to add insult to injury, he touts all the great benefits of CO's SHARES system which is in many regards much less advanced than the system United used before the merger.
Wait - anonymous posters on an IBB know more about airline IT infrastructure than anyone else?

I saw a commercial for Delta earlier this morning that took a vague jab at COdbaUA. I'm paraphrasing here but it was something like "We're one of the world's largest airlines... We decided that wasn't enough. Delta. Keep climbing."
Delta was started that campaign before the UA/CO merger.

Delta made money last quarter. Somehow they can offer more seats in F, a more generous upgrade policy, more IFE, better on-time rates and make more money than the penny pinchers at UA. Shocking
Yes, DL made money last quarter, but they don't have a more generous upgrade policy or more IFE. The nominal number of F seats is an interesting question, but I don't think that its significantly different from UA.

The on-time performance has a direct correlation to profitability and loyalty and UA needs to focus on improvement in this area.

Originally Posted by entropy
Fine, if they don't want $300 tickets to contribute to 1K status, then don't allow EQM accumulation on <W/V fares, whatever.

Incidentally, he shovels it on in Slide 16 "Benefits of SHARES" :
- aircraft redeployment, network optimization(?)
- Shortened time-tomarket for ancillary products/services (? FALSE)
- Dynamic ancillary pricing (ToD, Bull...)
- Simple loyalty program with BETTER elite differentiation (huh?)

follows on to say growing high margin business like our "Leading loyalty program".

Working together culture (see F/As, ALPA Strike)
Direct, Open & Honest communcation (bald face lie)
Dignity and Respect ("Over entitled", bald face lie).

So, Rainey is a liar. $misek is a liar. Frankly, the airline ought to be sued for lying to their investors.
The presentation and associated remarks are material financial information. If you suspect the information is false, you should report UAL to the SEC. On the other hand, posting anonymous comments on an IBB claiming that a company and its officers are lying to investors is inappropriate, unethical, and potentially illegal.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old May 19, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
Incidentally, he shovels it on in Slide 16 "Benefits of SHARES" :
This is probably an important slide from the airline management standpoint - though we should all bear in mind that their standpoint is in many ways in opposition to the customer standpoint. After all, the customer-vendor relationship isn't all collaboration and roses. It can, at times, be adversarial. This is probably one of those times.
- aircraft redeployment, network optimization(?)
This is probably a part of shares we don't see much. Does SHARES support swapping equipment at the last minute? Is it better at having a generic equipment type and seatmap for the first 200 days with finalization in the last 100 days?
- Shortened time-to market for ancillary products/services (? FALSE)
This is because it's built in-house so they can add-on things like more dynamic pricing on E+. Let's say they wanted to have E+ pricing be variable based on inventory - that is, as more people bought it it would get more expensive. This can be programmed in more quickly and easily if it is in-house vs. a vendor system.
- Dynamic ancillary pricing (ToD, Bull...)
We may not like it, but some folks in another thread were talking about how Smisek loves how he can price E+ differently based on more dynamic variables like segment origin and destination. They also obviously love the ability to sell upgrades.
- Simple loyalty program with BETTER elite differentiation (huh?)
I'd guess that the "better" part is the part we don't like - that they can differentiate benefits based on fare class and elite level. They obviously like upgrading elites traveling on full-fares at a higher priority than higher level elites on low fares. Along these lines I was upgraded on a Y fare BOS-EWR a few days ago as a gold. I'm sure the upgrade would have gone to a 1K at sUA. I am personally kind of glad I got some benefit from paying $600 one way for 35 minutes in the air.

Last edited by lensman; May 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm Reason: typo I->It
Old May 19, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
I agree with most of the posters in this thread - that if they don't want 1k's buying the cheap fares, don't offer them at close in times booking times.

In my case, it would be a benefit if they took away cheap fares, and I may get a higher % of Upgrades.

I am required to purchase the lowest economy fare by my company (P, A, and all the buy up fares don't count), and a majority of my tickets are purchased within 7 days or less of travel. (30% are within 24 hours of travel). It's a mix of Intl, and domestic travel.

You would think I would be in the Y, B, or M buckets with instant ups - and would probably be GS by now - Nope!

Most tickets end up in E, sometimes Q and V, and on occasion an H or an M but that's less than 10% of the time. (don't know why, but i have only seen a U fare 1 time last year). Mind you, these fares are not cheap either - just cheap fare buckets. Nothing domestically under 475 all year.

So I buy last minute compared to Leisure travelers, don't get the instant up benefit of YBM fares, By the time it's ticketed, we are usually within the 96 hour 1k window for upgrades if domestic - so I am always on the battlefield for them, and am 21/86 segments on upgrades this year.

Yep - i'm over entitled...

Hey United - Shares programmers can't "fix" attitude problems!

This is probably the last straw.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dkc715
"We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." according to United's CFO John Rainey, as per his presentation at the BofA Transportation Conference held on May 17th. The entire webcast is available on United's investor relations website, and he makes the comment 11- 12 minutes into the presentation. Since the CFO is a PMCO guy, I imagine he is referring to PMUA fliers. Mr. Rainey also raves about Shares.

So, I guess we have the answer to all of the complaints enumerated by Premiers, 1Ks, GS, MM, etc. We were simply over entitled, not loyal!! Our new airline.

I was going to book three round trip tickets to PDX today ($1500 for the first two weeks in June ). I read this and decided to book Frontier instead. They were also cheaper. Keep it up United and you won't have an airline left.

Last edited by FlyingNut724; May 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Popcorn.

I do see my upgrade percentage on AA decreasing though.
Having been EXP for 3 yrs, I've only missed an upgrade due tO F selling out. I had a 100% success rate out of SFO last year.

AA doesnt do buy ups of any kind, TODs, nor fare class shenanigans. They do upgradeY/B first, but its within each status level at the windows. Everything else in priority goes by date of UPG request- not check in time or fare class.

Its simple and its rewarding. This is a benefit I did not appreciate as much until I started flying COdbaUA
Old May 19, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
"Consolidation has been an unalloyed good for this industry"

"Everything we do at United is with the mindset of creating economic value"

"Global wifi installation starting in August - yes, we're late to market but we're excited about our offering"

"Fundamentally, we are a customer service business"

Q&A

"Hindsight is 20/20, but, we underestimated peoples capacity to absorb change"
Thanks for the excerpting - very enlightening -though I almost spit out my coffee when I hit the two highlighted above.

Everything else in the presentation was about as far away from CS as one could get - customers are a commodity from whom COdbaUA is looking to extract maximum value.

But then the smile at 'gee, we really expected them to roll over and take it..."
Old May 19, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I was going to book three round trip tickets to PDX today. I read this and decided to book Frontier instead. They were also cheaper. Keep it up United and you won't have an airline left.
I'm not defending UA's actions, but to say they won't have an airline left because you decided to fly on F9 is overstating the matter. Even if many elites follow suit.

WN has only the most basic elite program and they have been the most profitable airline in the United States for three decades.

As I wrote earlier, UA would just as soon sell those seats to a casual traveler who expects no perks in return for his/her business.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This is a hugely important point. If the CFO is calling elites "entitled," is it any wonder that this arrogant, condescending attitude might be reflected in the front line employees, especially pmCO employees?
I don't think this has anything at all to do with front-line pmCO employees.

This is a management choice and the attitude adjustments are going to be pushed down from above equally both to pmCO and pmUA.

Attitude-wise, the main differentiation I could see for pmUA elites interacting with pmCO front-line is:
1. At EWR, all passengers are treated with equal indifference. (with apologies to the occasional NICE EWR-based ground staff)
2. At IAH, you got the usual southern charm from the ground staff. This charm is generally based on how you treat them - though of course since they are customer-service front-line there's a floor to their attitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.