Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
"Making good progress in unifying labor contracts"
Originally Posted by goingbananas
My pilot friends (PMUA) would say...What Rainey says in his "drivel"........"this is an outright lie..."
Yep, making "good progress"
United Pilots’ Union Calls For Strike Vote
Old May 19, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
US Airways used to have a senior management person like the United CFO (dissing his most loyal customers), Ben Baldanza. He now runs Spirit Airlines, I think.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
US Airways used to have a senior management person like the United CFO (dissing his most loyal customers), Ben Baldanza. He now runs Spirit Airlines, I think.
He was the original "nickel and diming" poster child for customers to "bash" until he went to "explore other opportunities" and found his niche!
Old May 19, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
He was the original "nickel and diming" poster child for customers to "bash" until he went to "explore other opportunities" and found his niche!
Given Spirit's profitability, apparently there's lots of money to be made that way. Perhaps $misek has decided to emulate the Spirit customer service model.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
may be an overstatement but with the CFO's talk,
with UA Insider's explanation of upgrades, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18590619-post1532.html
the discussion chinatradermr had with Senior VP of Sales, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18585613-post236.html
the desired relationship of the new UA with it customers and elites is becoming clear.
While there had been much speculation, these instance are all painting a much clear situation -- a Brave New World.
I think this perspective is a bit hyperbolic.

I don't get the sense that UA is deliberately driving away elite members. Rather, the occasional scary service interruptions that we're seeing seem to happen across the spectrum of frequent-flyer status.

There's no rhyme or reason to this stuff. It's not like 1Ks are being singled out for mistreatment.

I do think that it was a mistake to get rid of "service recovery" (UA no longer apologizes with vouchers in the same way they used to) at the exact same time as the introduction of a bunch of new business processes which have caused travel disruptions. Especially for elites who were used to a meaningful "we're sorry", it could feel a bit like UA is tripping them and then kicking them while they're down.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I feel entitled to EXP.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:13 pm

This "over entitled" 1K just finished booking all of my travel through the end of July. On AA... I'll "re-qualify" EXP on July 25th most likely (78 days after my first AA flight) - that's about $30,000 that COdbaUA would have gotten if they'd just maintained PMUA's attitude and customer service.

It makes me sad that I've already given COdbaUA the revenue for >100K BIS miles this year. Oh well, such is life...
Old May 19, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by SFO777
Given Spirit's profitability, apparently there's lots of money to be made that way. Perhaps $misek has decided to emulate the Spirit customer service model.
It has its marketplace....domestic....no frills....but trying to expand that to an INTL global carrier, (especially offering multiple classes of service) will be extremely tough.....

I wish Jeff well on that one....
Old May 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I wish Jeff well on that one....
I don't.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL plat
I sent an email to AA with a link for the conference call and commended them for offering the status match. It's easy to complain about bad business but I felt I had to commend them on what I believe is a good business decision. I told AA that they should forward it to their marketing dept. Can you imagine what wonders a commercial would do for AA's business including that quote?? FT is small compared to the vast reach of television and all those MP members (who are more numerous that French citizens!!!!!!) (not for long) will start flocking to AA. Good for them
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...writing to you from the DFW AAdmirals club, where I'm enjoying a tasty quesadilla that I happily purchased, appreciating my newly minted EXP status on AA, while waiting for my flight on which I'm upgraded (and wasn't asked to pay for it), where I'll be able to use wifi and eat decent food (relative to the competition)...

I think his honor Rainey might have a point, but look where I'm now spending my travel $$$...

I also agree with the others that even if he's thinking it, what an unprofessional thing to say.

Seems like a real tool.

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What I find funny is that when the new rules came out, 1K's were happy! Silvers and Golds got shafted but 1K's told us how great UA is! If the 1K flyers (which I was until 3 years ago) had joined forces with the Silvers, who got the major shaft! Now it's too late. UA is laughing at us!0
Old May 19, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

CO was "over entitled" to its customer service awards
That I could not agree with more, and have been saying it for years.

The only period during which these accolades were deserved was in the Bethune era.

After that, they milked their reputation for all it was worth, all the while ruthlessly gutting their soft product.

I will give them the credit, however, for being managing their image really well, for maximizing the positives and somehow always managing to bury the increasingly overwhelming negatives.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
no matter the context or interpretation, not a way to "win friends and influence people." Not just a UA/CO issue but a societal customer service issue.(or lack thereof)
Old May 19, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

Why would UaCo be excited about a 1K who achieves his status on the least expensive fares and then expects constant perks such as free upgrades, a dedicated CS line, and semi-official exemptions from fees and rules?

UaCo would just as soon fill those same seats with equally cheap kettles who expect nothing in return and might even occasionally spend some hard cash (even if only ToD's) to sit in FC. If a kettle needs to change a ticket, or do SDC, he or she is paying for it at full dollar value. If they want to sit in E+, they're paying for it, etc.
Because the elites are 'hooked' into the program, and they are the ones who are going to be shelling out the extra $100 or $500 for the upgradeable fare, or for the fare that's not cost-competitive with Southwest. For many of us the loyalty benefits entice us to spend substantially more per flight than a 'bargain shopper' who's always going to choose the lowest fare for a given route, even if we're not booking into C or F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.