Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM

"We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." according to United's CFO John Rainey, as per his presentation at the BofA Transportation Conference held on May 17th. The entire webcast is available on United's investor relations website, and he makes the comment 11- 12 minutes into the presentation. Since the CFO is a PMCO guy, I imagine he is referring to PMUA fliers. Mr. Rainey also raves about Shares.

So, I guess we have the answer to all of the complaints enumerated by Premiers, 1Ks, GS, MM, etc. We were simply over entitled, not loyal!! Our new airline.

Last edited by J.Edward; May 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm Reason: Clarify that the CFO implied some groups, which OP thought was Elites
Old May 19, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Do you have a link to this

I wonder if he feels $3,000,000 a year makes him " over entitled"
Old May 19, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Completely explains why I am no longer a UA flyer and am glad to have switched over to AA. Good riddance.

Last edited by l etoile; May 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reason: Political commentary removed by moderator
Old May 19, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....&p=irol-IRHome

If this doesn't work, just go under investor relations under www.unitedcontinentalholdings.com
Old May 19, 2012, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
On another note, I missed my first upgrade (JFK-LAX) in 18 months last week. And barely made another one (ORD-LGA). Obviously a meaningless data point given in the grand scheme but it will be interesting to see if the number of people switching is really significant and a trend develops. I actually hope so, even if it means I miss a few upgrades.

Last edited by l etoile; May 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reason: Removed deleted quote and response thereto
Old May 19, 2012, 10:47 am

Thumbs down

But Jeff was entitled to that $14.7m in a quarter with a huge loss when only 2 years prior he said he wouldn't take a salary unless the airline was profitable.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Do you have a link to this

I wonder if he feels $3,000,000 a year makes him " over entitled"
Telling their true feelings about their most valuable customer is worth something
Old May 19, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do you think he is refering to Mr. Pillows? No seriously I'm on the IAH air train going to 'B' and don't like the message being given. Does this mean there are more "changes we will like" coming !?
Old May 19, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by username
Telling their true feelings about their most valuable customer is worth something
I just listened to the first 15 min and had to stop. EXACTLY what I've been saying. They LOVE SHARES and are doing exactly what there business plan is. "over entitled". I love that line. Did he write it while sitting on his corp jet?
Old May 19, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Insulting loyal customers. Stay classy.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:56 am

I wonder why he would say this out loud -- i'm sure some audience members were UA elites.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
What he said was just a glitch
Old May 19, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's bewildering why the guy said that stuff... why would anyone insult their customers like that?

Originally Posted by Beerman92
What he said was just a glitch
Yep. A freudian slip--- exposing the attitude of sCO management that elites are a burden to the airline

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reason: merge/edit
Old May 19, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by edcho
I wonder why he would say this out loud -- i'm sure some audience members were UA elites.
Have to agree. Even if you are thinking it, there's no way that should be verbalized. The last thing any company should ever do is alienate a customer base.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by demkr
It's bewildering why the guy said that stuff... why would anyone insult their customers like that?
Wow. But based on what has happened in the last few months, is it really all that surprising from this group?

Loved the intro... "John made two comments to me. One, he viewed himself more of a financial guy than an airline guy..." Ya think?

Obviously not using a teleprompter...

Starts at about 11:50...
"...Additionally, we also changed our Mileage Plus program, some of the benefits that, uh, accrued to the members. Uh, we, uh, we had certain groups in this group were over entitled if you will. Uh, and now, uh, we have realigned the benefits of that program with what the, the, the customers and, and, program, um, um, the participants are actually providing to the airline, and, and this is a good change going forward..."

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.