Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
5. But tinkering can go too far. Selling last-minute upgrades is definitely "too far." The key to keep your customers happy is to treat them fairly. The airline publishes rules on how upgrades are supposed to work (lately, these rules have gotten too complicated, but that's a topic for another day). Your customers learn the rules and accept them: like everyone knows that a silver will likely get upgraded after a gold. But when you start selling upgrades to the highest bidder, you're disregarding your own rules, and your customers (rightfully) start feeling cheated. You're not giving them what you promised. This is a shameful practice and should be stopped immediately.
This is the primary reason I've become a 25K a year United customer when in the past, I've been a 75K-100K United customer. I'll fly them when it makes sense, or I need to, but until they stop their fundamentally dishonest practices, they've lost me.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If you think about it he is talking about PMUA 1K's , if you are are high enough revenue you get flagged as GS. But the message is that the average 1K is "over-entitled", don't expect your to keep receiving 80 to 90% upgrade rate. Take your annual $20K spend somewhere else for all they care, you are replaceable.
I took this step before Rainey confirmed that UA doesn't care about 1K's. His incredibly stupid blunder just confirmed what many of us already knew.

Originally Posted by fastair
He could have meant "all elites" (doubtful) or a much more specific group (probable) but without a follow up from the CFO, none of us have enough to interpret his meaning, let alone put unspoken words in his mouth.
You can try and put all the spin you want on what he said, but at the end of the day, it just can't be considered to be a positive statement. He may have had the best of intentions, but what he said was insulting to a large contingent of United's customers. In what universe is that a positive outcome?
Old May 20, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
His statement was past tense, and noted they had made (again past tense) changes to the program. So what changes in elite benefits have we seen? We know Silvers and Gold/Plat had reductions which leads me to think that's what he was referring to (E+, mile bonuses etc). Regardless though what an effing stupid thing to actually say and an awful choice of words. This guy needs some lessons in PR big time!

This has not been a good PR month for UA here on FT, between this guy shoving his foot down this throat, the 132K in refunded tickets and the AA match thread....I have to think the folks at UA PR are not loving this.
I wonder has anything this made its way outside FT? Like on UA FB page, twitter etc?
Old May 20, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I was a 1K on United in 2010 and 2011, dropped to Premier Gold in 2012, and will likely drop to Premier Silver in 2013. I am no longer feeling the love, United. The airline's philosophy of treating higher level elites much like other elites and even as GMs sometimes has become painfully clear. I am now a Platinum Medallion on DL (got a status match in 2011 and earned it for 2012) and will likely make Diamond Medallion later this year. DL does know how to treat its more frequent flyers and give them the great service they deserve.

UA will probably get the message if its losses continue while other airlines are earning record profits. At least one hopes this is the case.

Last edited by DCBob; May 20, 2012 at 6:19 am
Old May 20, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Gold
What I don't understand

I think it is O'K for the United management to decide that the way the Elite program was run was not beneficial to the airline and hence it is their right to change it. For example I guess it is possible for a very savvy traveler to rack up 100,00 miles for $10,000, whereas the 6 systemwide upgrades are by themselves probably worth a lot more. But if that was the case why not be upfront about it, and say that going forward only fares above a certain fare class would earn 100% status miles, and make something like that a part of the new program. Why this lack of transparency for the past few months, pissing off a large group of 1K and GS flyers (many of whom are pax that United would like to hold on for sure), and basically leaving the management in an untenable position going forward. Do they now change the rules to accommodate what they feel are the new realities, or do they backtrack which makes them look weak.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by United757
I've been watching this thread all day, and all I have to say is that I'm not surprised this guy is from pmCO.

Whatever, United.
+1 - for a couple years now many of us (Gang of 11 if you will) have decried the "arrogant PMCO attitude", "Air EWR/IAH/CLE" and the like. And here it is in action, said by the #2 or #3 leader of the company. Brilliant.

Can't wait for the Q2 results, I'm rooting for a huge loss.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
It does not matter. The fact is "Elites" are NOT over entitled but "some groups" of Elites ARE. I didn't realize the title of this was NOT exactly what he said and I even listened to it. Would anyone disagree there is a small percentage of 1K's that get this status "on the cheap". Even some GS get this status just cuz they live in an area lightly served by UA and don't spend nearly as much as other GS........... THESE "FEW" ELITES are over entitled. MOST are not
You make a good point - except for the fact that their actions to date have taken ALL elites down a notch, and have managed to even alienate the profit center (GS) in ways that any sane person would find inconceivable.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 20, 2012 at 6:44 am Reason: multi-quote
Old May 20, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Changing the words "certain groups" into "elites" and attributing that as a statement from the CFO is at best sensationalistic yellow journalism, and at worst (and most likely given the real $$ income that this BS statement can take away as people see this incorrct statment and book away) slanderous. Perhaps the title where you say the CFO states something he didn't should be changed to what he actualy said.

The point will still getacross, although it won't grab as many viewers, it will be truer to the truth of what he said and not a fabrication attributed to him but really written by the OP.

I'm all for bashing stupid statements made by execs of any company, but let's actually bash their statements and not some BS not stated but wrongfully attributed, deigned to falsely inflame.

I'm no lawyer, but toput a negative statement in print that can financially hurt someone/something attributing it to someon, when they didn't say it ca have some lega consequences. Do I think UA will sue the OP for sander? Doubt it, but is it slanderous in the legal definition to do what the OP did? IMHO, it is, and I watch a lot of "law and order", which gives me no legal credibility but makes me feel like an ADA. Of course, this isn't any legal advice, rather just a personal opinion, asI would not give out legal advice as I am not properly trained or certified to do so.
Wow. Cut me some slack. The guy made a dumb comment. I referred people to the entire webcast to hear it for themselves. I truely don't know how "certain groups" could refer to anyone but Elites, but if you feel better change the title. I'm not a journalist (9 posts on ANY public forum ever), so the yellow comment isn't really too hurtful. Sue me for slander? Really? I'll take my chances. In the meantime, I am glad to have brought the webcast to the attention of 20K people and counting (in under 20 hours!).
Old May 20, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by DCBob
DL does know how to treat its more frequent flyers and give them the great service they deserve.
Do you fly only domestic ?
No interest in UG for international flights and award tickets?

I think DL is good at UG for domestic flights but US MP is still better for everything else except for some minor perks.
Do I miss something?
Old May 20, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I feel like a fool...

Originally Posted by dkc715
"We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." according to United's CFO John Rainey, as per his presentation at the BofA Transportation Conference held on May 17th. The entire webcast is available on United's investor relations website, and he makes the comment 11- 12 minutes into the presentation. Since the CFO is a PMCO guy, I imagine he is referring to PMUA fliers. Mr. Rainey also raves about Shares.

So, I guess we have the answer to all of the complaints enumerated by Premiers, 1Ks, GS, MM, etc. We were simply over entitled, not loyal!! Our new airline.

for not taking that AA status match. forget about the fact that AA will end up following the same thing business model - that won't happen for a couple of years at the earliest. until then I will MR even more UA to get *A RDMs, redeem like crazy until, that too, goes away...CPUs are, clearly, dead...wow...it always seems worse when bad news is verbalized. i can't wait for news on the 2013 MP program - i'm sure it will be loaded with "improvements."
Old May 20, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Are you saying that "certain groups" (which can be very general or very specific) has the same meaning as the all encompassing term "elites", which includes anyone of any status, while "certain groups" sounds like the unnamed groups are more specific. To extrapolate a generic all encompassing term from an unnamed specific, and then attributing that to one who did not say it, is poetic license, which does not exist when attributing something to, or quoting another.

He could have meant "all elites" (doubtful) or a much more specific group (probable) but without a follow up from the CFO, none of us have enough to interpret his meaning, let alone put unspoken words in his mouth.
In COdbaUA's eye's aren't all elites he same?
Old May 20, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
If there's an "entitlement" culture, it's because of the system United had in place. The funny thing is, I thought the UA system was significantly better than the CO system.

I really don't think PMCO understood the PMUA culture they've since destroyed.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I guess as CFO he only cares about the bottom line and fails to see what a loyalty program is really about.
Of course he only cares about the bottom line - that's his job, as it is Smisek's and every other executive's. The question is whether (1) diminishing long term loyalty by devaluing elite benefits and (2) insulting UA's best customers is really the best way to increase the bottom line.

Originally Posted by ghoshs
For example I guess it is possible for a very savvy traveler to rack up 100,00 miles for $10,000, whereas the 6 systemwide upgrades are by themselves probably worth a lot more.
Nonsense. UA lets upgraders, including those using SWUs, take seats it thinks or knows it can't sell. Yet, it has to fully staff and fly the planes. So, the total cost to UA is almost the same whether the first/business class cabins are empty or full of upgraders. The question is, of the times that someone uses a SWU, in what proportion of those would the passenger have bought a first/business class ticket instead? That's the true cost of SWUs, and I doubt it approaches $10,000 per 6 SWUs.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
It does not matter. The fact is "Elites" are NOT over entitled but "some groups" of Elites ARE. I didn't realize the title of this was NOT exactly what he said and I even listened to it. Would anyone disagree there is a small percentage of 1K's that get this status "on the cheap". Even some GS get this status just cuz they live in an area lightly served by UA and don't spend nearly as much as other GS........... THESE "FEW" ELITES are over entitled. MOST are not
That is most likely what Rainey meant and again--from the company's perspective--most likely right. In other words, they calculated that certain elites were costing the company more than they were bringing in.

What we can't really deduce from this pretty vague phrase is which MP groups were identified as the most over entitled.

But as was pointed out in an earlier post, this was a past tense statement, so if you look at the changes that have been made to elite benefits, the groups that have seen an overall tangible reduction in benefits are MP silvers, and the million miler members. Of course, 1K's and GS's also lost at least some of their dedicated CS features.

Of course, CPU's on the whole have been much less reliable and, who knows, either this is a result of the systems integration glitches, or perhaps--at least to some degree--a result of SHARES' "dynamic pricing" feature.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by blug
I'm not sure how you got "average 1K". All he said is that SOME frequent flyers are over entitled, which is quite true. With the current MileagePlus program, one can buy very cheap fares, reach 1K easily and get the benefits that he hardly deserve. If we take the IRROPS compensations and VDB vouchers into account, the cost of reaching 1K for some people can be very very low.
But how many people actually do this? I would suspect most elites have a job and a family and their goal is to minimize their time away. Some, like me still fly 200K a year, but that doesn't mean we do it because its fun.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:58 am

Changing the words "certain groups" into "elites" and attributing that as a statement from the CFO is at best sensationalistic yellow journalism, and at worst (and most likely given the real $$ income that this BS statement can take away as people see this incorrct statment and book away) slanderous. Perhaps the title where you say the CFO states something he didn't should be changed to what he actualy said.

The point will still getacross, although it won't grab as many viewers, it will be truer to the truth of what he said and not a fabrication attributed to him but really written by the OP.

I'm all for bashing stupid statements made by execs of any company, but let's actually bash their statements and not some BS not stated but wrongfully attributed, deigned to falsely inflame.

I'm no lawyer, but toput a negative statement in print that can financially hurt someone/something attributing it to someon, when they didn't say it ca have some lega consequences. Do I think UA will sue the OP for sander? Doubt it, but is it slanderous in the legal definition to do what the OP did? IMHO, it is, and I watch a lot of "law and order", which gives me no legal credibility but makes me feel like an ADA. Of course, this isn't any legal advice, rather just a personal opinion, asI would not give out legal advice as I am not properly trained or certified to do so.
Employee of the month award to fastair, for standing up for his CFO

Last edited by malgudi; May 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS
At least they came clean.
Combine hat statement with UAINSIDER finally explaining how upgrades really work now instead of telling us what we saw was a system problem and all the other downgrades in services for every elite from GS down to silver.
Proofs the point that many made that in the past few months most of UA was not truthful. If this is the beginning of them no longer being dishonest and telling it how it really is going to be we can all make decisions based on that data.
That does not mean I like the new UA I just prefer the truth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.