Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I guess it depends on how you define "really early in the morning"

For me, UA72 with that 6:25 a.m. departure would count. UA879, not so much.
Although I like that a/c, I never take that flight because it actually would require an overnight in Honolulu ex-OGG.

Lunchtime in Honolulu is "really early in the morning" somewhere in the world.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 11, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
OK I might be wrong about the itinerary, that I just did a review of the email.

First, I did purchase the ticket for a round trip NRT-OGG, not multi-destination. Also, UA879 leaves at 10am that time of the year.

Here is the baggage information:

Origin and destination for checked baggage
1st bag 2nd bag Max wt / dim per piece

10/1/2014 Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita) to Maui, HI (OGG)
0.00 USD 0.00 USD 70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

10/4/2014 Maui, HI (OGG) to Honolulu, HI (HNL)
0.00 USD 87.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

10/5/2014 Honolulu, HI (HNL) to Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita)
0.00 USD 87.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

See the difference there? My NRT to OGG has two free bags, but HNL to NRT only has one free bag even it's totally UA metal.

If you guys think HA flight is a standalone one, how come the UA metal one's baggage allowance is the same as HA's??? With your understanding, the allowance from UA should say:

25.00 USD 87.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

right?

Second, the stop in HNL is less than 24H, so isn't that just a layover?

I don't know why you guys all pointing fingers at me, like I'm a bad person who refuses to pay $25 when I should??? I paid the $25 within 2 minutes after talking to an agent who refused to give me one free bag as my UA itinerary says, and didn't try all the dirty tricks like credit card dispute or anything.

Again, I purchased the roundtrip from NRT to OGG, not multi-destination so I can "force" the overnight in HNL. This routing was presented to me in UA system as roundtrip NRT to OGG. And, my itinerary says $0 for the first bag, but HA didn't play ball.

I've read enough stories here about HA collecting fees on the the inter-island part of the itinerary going back to the Mainland USA on other airlines, where definitely other airlines' baggage policy should apply. Can we assume all these guys complaining here on Flyertalk and just in this topic all did overnight in HNL?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it was a stopover. You checked your bag twice. Hawaiian doesn't hold bags overnight for next-day int'l connections. Hawaiian is not going to give you your money back. You can complain to United and maybe they'll give you $25 back. UA put you in the needless situation of the HNL stopover, so try to get $25 from them. You could also dispute the HA charge. That will be a more work on your part.

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
...I've read enough stories here about HA collecting fees on the the inter-island part of the itinerary going back to the Mainland USA on other airlines, where definitely other airlines' baggage policy should apply. Can we assume all these guys complaining here on Flyertalk and just in this topic all did overnight in HNL?
Just because people complain, it doesn't mean they are right. HA, in the cases you just mentioned above is indeed following UA's policy, but not in a way the complainers have misinterpreted how the policy works. They complain about the baggage fee being collected, but they ignore UA's statement (after they see "$0') that in order to receive the Premier baggage fee waiver, they "must check in at a United or United Express counter". When you check in at a HA counter, it is not United or United Express. At that point, the normal UA baggage fee policy does apply, which is $25 for the first bag, so HA is following UA's policy. Prior to March 2014, HA was only collecting $17, which is $8 less than UA's policy, but HA didn't get any compliments on that.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No, it was a stopover. You checked your bag twice. Hawaiian doesn't hold bags overnight for next-day int'l connections. Hawaiian is not going to give you your money back. You can complain to United and maybe they'll give you $25 back. UA put you in the needless situation of the HNL stopover, so try to get $25 from them. You could also dispute the HA charge. That will be a more work on your part.
I had no intention to fight for this $25, and consider it just a mere unpleasant experience of mine otherwise enjoyable vacation. However, I don't see why I am entitled to paying $25 when my itinerary says ZERO. HA and UA have this codeshare agreement, right? To me, one of them is lying, and me the customer was put in the middle.

Just because people complain, it doesn't mean they are right. HA, in the cases you just mentioned above is indeed following UA's policy, but not in a way the complainers have misinterpreted how the policy works. They complain about the baggage fee being collected, but they ignore UA's statement (after they see "$0') that in order to receive the Premier baggage fee waiver, they "must check in at a United or United Express counter". When you check in at a HA counter, it is not United or United Express. At that point, the normal UA baggage fee policy does apply, which is $25 for the first bag, so HA is following UA's policy. Prior to March 2014, HA was only collecting $17, which is $8 less than UA's policy, but HA didn't get any compliments on that.
I respect your mindset of thinking HA is just doing what they are allowed to do. But I would like to point out that you are still referring to the "Premier Baggage Allowance" in your second paragraph, while what this is about is "International Itinerary Baggage Allowance".

Based on your statement quoted, I can only pay $0 for the first bag if I check in at the UA counters in OGG, right? But my itinerary specifically says HA segments should be checked-in at HA counters. So, with your explanation, UA is advertising something that I'll never get?

So in conclusion:

1) I believe HA should stick to what UA's itinerary says since they have codeshare agreement. It being either $0 or $25 is their own internal problem, it shouldn't be mine. Being a customer, I didn't get what I was promised.

2) If HA deliberately consider the leg of OGG to HNL domestic and apply the domestic baggage allowance, while it's actually a part of an international flight, I can't fight it of course.

3) I have't tried OGG-HNL-NRT on the same day and see whether HA charges me $25. But I am quite sure we have people here in this forum who have been charged by HA in the above-mentioned circumstance. People, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Sir, you really don't think HA has any wrongdoing on this matter, trying to play a little bit dirty to get more revenue? When I googled this matter, tons of complains showed up. I tend to believe there should be something wrong when the volume is this large.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There is a parallel thread on this subject on the HA forum. Might want to take a peak.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:39 pm

Here is my itinerary so you can all have a look and see whether I deserve to pay $25:

FLIGHT INFORMATION
Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and Time Aircraft Meal

Wed, 01OCT14 UA880 W TOKYO, JAPAN (NRT - NARITA) 7:25 PM HONOLULU, HI (HNL) 7:25 AM 747-400 Dinner

Wed, 01OCT14 UA7851 W HONOLULU, HI (HNL) 9:42 AM MAUI, HI (OGG) 10:19 AM 717-200
Flight operated by HAWAIIAN AIRLINES.
If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the HAWAIIAN AIRLINES ticket counter.

Sat, 04OCT14 UA7865 W MAUI, HI (OGG) 2:21 PM HONOLULU, HI (HNL) 2:57 PM 717-200
Flight operated by HAWAIIAN AIRLINES.
If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the HAWAIIAN AIRLINES ticket counter.

Sun, 05OCT14 UA879 W HONOLULU, HI (HNL) 10:10 AM TOKYO, JAPAN (NRT - NARITA) 1:25 PM (06OCT) 747-400 Lunch

Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary.
Baggage fees are per traveler

Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag 2nd bag Max wt / dim per piece
10/1/2014 Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita) to Maui, HI (OGG) 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 70.0lbs (32.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)
10/4/2014 Maui, HI (OGG) to Honolulu, HI (HNL) 0.00 USD 87.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)
10/5/2014 Honolulu, HI (HNL) to Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita) 0.00 USD 87.00 USD 50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® Gold membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).

See why baggage allowance from NRT to OGG is 2 bags of 70 pounds, but HNL to NRT (UA metal) is 1 bag of 50 pounds? The HNL to NRT is inline with HA segment of OGG to HNL. In UA's term, because HA's segment is the originating one, I've already lost the bonus allowance, but the 1 free bag is the basic for a international itinerary. Now HA didn't give me that.

It's like A says "go to take B's car and B has agreed to take you without any charge", and B says "I don't do that for free and I don't care what A said".
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
United HI interisland codeshare flights with HA

I booked our family some very reasonable airfare from MSP to HNL for a March 2015 trip. Am thinking of tagging on an interisland flight from HNL to either KOA or OGG which would be our final destination. How can I purchase and/or link the mainland to HNL reservation to the interisland reservation which is operated by Hawaiian? It would seem there has to be a way since the interisland flights are codeshare with both airlines.

Main thing being, I want it linked to make sure our bags get checked through to our final destination.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I booked our family some very reasonable airfare from MSP to HNL for a March 2015 trip. Am thinking of tagging on an interisland flight from HNL to either KOA or OGG which would be our final destination. How can I purchase and/or link the mainland to HNL reservation to the interisland reservation which is operated by Hawaiian? It would seem there has to be a way since the interisland flights are codeshare with both airlines.

Main thing being, I want it linked to make sure our bags get checked through to our final destination.
I believe HA has said that if the segments are on the same itinerary, they'll link it. Otherwise you've got to re-check them at HNL and they're gonna charge you.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Amazon Prime
Hi guys,

So, if I have a EWR-HNL flight (UA J) and Im connecting, on a separate ticket on HA HNL-KOA, is it right that I cannot check the bags at EWR all the way to KOA?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Hi guys,

So, if I have a EWR-HNL flight (UA J) and Im connecting, on a separate ticket on HA HNL-KOA, is it right that I cannot check the bags at EWR all the way to KOA?
If you get a nice/competent UA counter agent, you can - just provide both tickets/record locators. YMMV. The problem is definitely the other way - Hawaiian will not through check on separate tickets. You'd have to reclaim in Honolulu.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:18 pm

If you get a nice/competent UA counter agent, you can - just provide both tickets/record locators. YMMV. The problem is definitely the other way - Hawaiian will not through check on separate tickets. You'd have to reclaim in Honolulu.
When I tried to re-check my bags at HA at HNL after clearing Customs, even though my bags were checked all the way to OGG, the HA agents stopped me and asked me why my bags were tagged by UA. I told her it's a international connecting, but to my surprise, she was still pretty puzzled, but eventually let me go.

It was like she wasn't sure (deliberately?) what a international connecting is.

But from EWR surely one doesn't have to re-check. So if UA can tag it all the way to the destination, that'll do it.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Amazon Prime
Interesting. Everything I've read at HA's website (and even here) determines that HA wouldn't accept it. Zyx - just curious, I assume you were just putting them on bag-drop after clearing US Immigration? Did they try to charge you again for HNL-OGG? I will also have a ICN-HNL flight where I'm connecting separately on HNL-KOA.

Further, where your flights on the same ticket? Mine will be separately ticketed.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:16 am

When I tried to re-check my bags at HA at HNL after clearing Customs, even though my bags were checked all the way to OGG, the HA agents stopped me and asked me why my bags were tagged by UA. I told her it's a international connecting, but to my surprise, she was still pretty puzzled, but eventually let me go.

It was like she wasn't sure (deliberately?) what a international connecting is.

But from EWR surely one doesn't have to re-check. So if UA can tag it all the way to the destination, that'll do it.
Where were you trying to drop your bags? There's a re-check in customs, after the inspection point but before you exit.

I hope you didn't carry them all the way to the i/i terminal yourself.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Interesting. Everything I've read at HA's website (and even here) determines that HA wouldn't accept it. Zyx - just curious, I assume you were just putting them on bag-drop after clearing US Immigration? Did they try to charge you again for HNL-OGG? I will also have a ICN-HNL flight where I'm connecting separately on HNL-KOA.

Further, where your flights on the same ticket? Mine will be separately ticketed.
The flights were on the same itinerary ticketed by United.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Where were you trying to drop your bags? There's a re-check in customs, after the inspection point but before you exit.

I hope you didn't carry them all the way to the i/i terminal yourself.

-David
I wish there were such thing like that. I fly to SFO constantly and there you can just drop the bag in literally 100 ft after exit Customs.

We had a nightmare in HNL. First we had to take a "armored" towed vehicle to the immigration hall so BF passengers like us totally got stuck behind regular pax. Secondly, we looked very carefully but didn't find such thing after exiting Customs, and we are pretty sure that there were signs directing us to drag our baggages to the HA domestic terminal which is like 500 feet away. (after that I know why people are complaining about HNL...)

Maybe there was a counter for re-check but we didn't find it anyway...

Our itinerary is NRT-HNL-OGG on a single ticket issued by UA.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I tried to re-check my bags at HA at HNL after clearing Customs, even though my bags were checked all the way to OGG, the HA agents stopped me and asked me why my bags were tagged by UA. I told her it's a international connecting, but to my surprise, she was still pretty puzzled, but eventually let me go....
Some agent at the main counter aren't used to such bags being presented. They are usually re-checked right after customs where you arrived. You missed the baggage re-check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.