Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
My experience with checking a bag at OGG at HA counters is that the computer did not like me at all. I had to wait 30 min for a human to free up.

Itinerary was HA OGG-HNL, then UA HNL-EWR-BOS, all on a single ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There is absolutely no problem checking a bag in at HA through to United if they are on the same ticket.
Yes, I should have clarified, if a separate HA ticket, that is where problems can arise.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Any updates? Specifically HA interlining to UA when flying on a separate HA ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dalejb2000
Any updates? Specifically HA interlining to UA when flying on a separate HA ticket.
From the Hawaiian Air bag info section:

"Hawaiian Airlines will only through-check bags to other airline flights if the other airline segments are on the same ticket."

Count on picking up you bag(s) and taking it to UA.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Situation:

Two separate tickets: BOS-IAD-HNL on UA and HNL-OGG on HA.

1) For the outbound, UA can check me through OGG, and receive BP for both UA and HA

2) UA can interline my baggage to HNL-OGG. No fees based on my UA status. No need to pick up bags at HNL.

3) On the return, I must pay HA baggage fee at OGG, reclaim my baggage at HNL, and check in with UA to get BP for HNL-IAD-BOS.

4) The layover for the return at HNL is 12 hours, I can still drop my bags with UA and have a quick tour of HNL.

Is my understanding correct?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992

1) For the outbound, UA can check me through OGG, and receive BP for both UA and HA

2) UA can interline my baggage to HNL-OGG. No fees based on my UA status. No need to pick up bags at HNL.

3) On the return, I must pay HA baggage fee at OGG, reclaim my baggage at HNL, and check in with UA to get BP for HNL-IAD-BOS.

4) The layover for the return at HNL is 12 hours, I can still drop my bags with UA and have a quick tour of HNL.

Is my understanding correct?
1/2) Unless UA issued your separate HA ticket, you'll have get HA BP online via Hawaiian, or at airport in Honolulu. If UA issued your HA ticket, UA can provide HA BP and a competent/helpful agent may check your luggage thru to OGG. If your ticket was issued by HA, you will have to pick up your luggage and make your way to inter-island terminal and pay HA bag fees.

3) Yes.

4) Maybe, maybe not - what time does your flight to IAD depart? UA counter may not be open or accept bags when you get there. There's no airport-sponsored bag storage at HNL and the private service is pretty expensive. The trunk of a one-day car rental may be the most cost-effective bag storage.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
1/2) Unless UA issued your separate HA ticket, you'll have get HA BP online via Hawaiian, or at airport in Honolulu. If UA issued your HA ticket, UA can provide HA BP and a competent/helpful agent may check your luggage thru to OGG. If your ticket was issued by HA, you will have to pick up your luggage and make your way to inter-island terminal and pay HA bag fees.

3) Yes.

4) Maybe, maybe not - what time does your flight to IAD depart? UA counter may not be open or accept bags when you get there. There's no airport-sponsored bag storage at HNL and the private service is pretty expensive. The trunk of a one-day car rental may be the most cost-effective bag storage.
1/2) My UA ticket is issued by UA, HA ticket is issued by HA. I can certainly get HA BP before check-in with UA. So I have to pick up bags at HNL and drop at HA counter? Hmmmmm

4) OGG-HNL arrives at 8am. HNL-IAD departs at 5pm. There are 7am HNL-SFO/LAX flights and 11:30am HNL-NRT flight. Will UA counter remain open around 8am-9am?

If UA counter is not open, I'll just use car rental as you suggested.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
1/2) My UA ticket is issued by UA, HA ticket is issued by HA. I can certainly get HA BP before check-in with UA. So I have to pick up bags at HNL and drop at HA counter? Hmmmmm

4) OGG-HNL arrives at 8am. HNL-IAD departs at 5pm. There are 7am HNL-SFO/LAX flights and 11:30am HNL-NRT flight. Will UA counter remain open around 8am-9am?

If UA counter is not open, I'll just use car rental as you suggested.
Yes, you will have to pick up bags in Honolulu, walk over to the inter-island terminal and deliver them to Hawaiian. Actually, you'll pay the bag fees, self-tag them, then deliver them to Hawaiian, and go through security again. Hawaiian is not a *A member, so no check-thru and no *A fee waivers . From UA's baggage pages:

"If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights."

You had a chance of checking it through if it was a UA-issued ticket and BP, but no chance since it's HA-issued.

As for checking bag early at HNL, some airports will not accept bags too long in advance of a flight. You might try it and be successful or not. Probably just easier/certain (instead of lugging bags all the way to main terminal) to get car shuttle at interisland terminal and be dropped off later at main terminal after returning car. Plus you save some time for touring.

For reasonably-priced lunch or something to eat in great setting before flight with free/easy parking, 5 minutes from airport:
http://nicospier38.com/

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 26, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
We recently traveled on an award HA ticket LIH-HNL, then separate C class UA HNL-DEN-OMA.

We were able to check bags in Lihue all the way through to Omaha, we did pay the HA checked bag fee, on line before departure. It was no problem.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mmack
We recently traveled on an award HA ticket LIH-HNL, then separate C class UA HNL-DEN-OMA.

We were able to check bags in Lihue all the way through to Omaha, we did pay the HA checked bag fee, on line before departure. It was no problem.
That is a different set of facts. In your situation, HA was willing to check across tickets to UA. You paid the HA fees and there would have been no UA fees as you were traveling in a premium cabin).

Here, HA will want to assess its own fees and likely would not even accept the bags from UA or if it does, will still insist on an add/collect. HA is quite insistent on this and there are multiple threads on FT about it.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm looking at ticketing a LIH-HNL-SFO-YVR itinerary on UA, with the LIH-HNL being a code share on HA.

My understanding of the new rules (new for me) is that HA will interline the bags if all flights are on a UA ticket, and that they will charge me bag fees at check in.

What I'm not clear on is whether HA will charge me the inter-island bag fees or their Mainland bag fees, even though I'm 1K and wouldn't ever pay UA for checked bags?

I see that HA now charges lower bag fees to their FF program members. I am i their FF program, but will be using my United MP # to credit the miles on these flights. Would I still be able to get the HA lower bag rates?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

UAL-HA Codeshare Experience (Washington Dulles to Lihue, HA)

I am curious if folks had a similar experience?

I bought four first class tickets from IAD to LIH through United. The first set of flights were all United with a layover through LAX but the return flight went from LIH to HNL through Hawaiian Airlines and HNL to IAD through United. I was a little bit surprised when I never received a e-mail to check in 24 hours before our flight but when I went to the United site they mentioned I needed to check-in through Hawaiian Airlines. The first ticket did not exist (for a child) but the others did online with a luggage fee of $300 per bag. I couldn't figure out how you could even get to that cost but when I called Hawaiian they found the children's ticket (thank god) but we would need to check-in at the airport for everyone.

When checking-in at the airport the fee dropped to $200 per bag till I mentioned we had first class tickets. The ticket agent was quick to snap that we must follow Hawaiian Airlines policy (and even pay for that bag on the United flight) which I tried to be nice and note that they have free baggage with both airlines with first class. I did have one bag per person below 50 pounds, one individual had two bags below 50, and one bag that was exactly 70 pounds. I was now told that I had to pay a overweight fee which I was confused since United's policy is up to 70 pounds on first class which not only I met but I didn't even have a second bag. Now mind you I am also Gold with United but I am trying to figure out if I was or they were in the right. They did finally agree to waive the fees but with only a lot of hassle and the agent was quick to note that is only because her manager overrule her (and not happy with it either). I see that Hawaiian policies may overstep United after the flight but if you bought the ticket from United and it was a basic layover it would seem the two airlines would work together. I also only had my United number on the ticket.

I was also surprised since our flights through Hawaiian were changed six months prior and they moved all of us on the same flight except our child who was put on a completely different flight. When I called United they said it needed to be fixed with Hawaiian and when I called them they said it could only be fixed by talking to my son. Well the problem is he is only 20 months old which I quickly noted is on his ticket. I asked to talk with the manager and I was told that I was talking to the top...I offered to go on that flight instead if necessary since a toddler clearly can't fly on his own. It was finally fixed through United but with only lots of hassle once again.

I hear how amazing Hawaiian is and the flight attendants I will confess were extremely nice and the flight went smoothly. However, I wouldn't say this is by far a aloha friendly airline and is it a fair perception. When I was printing my tickets another lady doing the same mentioned good luck the codeshare's between UAL and HA are horrible.

I was surprised since I would have thought for all of the passengers going between the two airlines they would have the computer systems and the process down well.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Well...I'm confused.

Flying separate tickets:
IAH-HNL award miles on United.
HNL-KOA on paid Hawaiian Airlines

Called United 1K, and they said, "Sure, we can interline those bags if you have the HA ticket with you".

Reading online, suggests that is not true.

Called HA, and the relatively clueless agent said, "You may have to get those bags and recheck them".

Sooooo, what is the correct answer here?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Well...I'm confused.

Flying separate tickets:
IAH-HNL award miles on United.
HNL-KOA on paid Hawaiian Airlines

Called United 1K, and they said, "Sure, we can interline those bags if you have the HA ticket with you".

Reading online, suggests that is not true.

Called HA, and the relatively clueless agent said, "You may have to get those bags and recheck them".

Sooooo, what is the correct answer here?
Both can be correct. UA and HA have an interline baggage agreement. UA can choose to interline bags on separate tickets if it cares to. Likewise, HA can demand you check bags only to your HA ticket destination, collect them, and pass them yourself to UA.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Both can be correct. UA and HA have an interline baggage agreement. UA can choose to interline bags on separate tickets if it cares to. Likewise, HA can demand you check bags only to your HA ticket destination, collect them, and pass them yourself to UA.
I love the "can" be correct.

Flying outbound on HA and UA with separate tickets can require getting and rechecking bags (fortunately, the outbound for us is all one ticket).

Flying in-bound, I would like to believe UA can interline all the way to KOA, but it really shouldn't be this confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.