Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hi all - trying to figure out if my in-laws were wronged today. They're on a UA ticket Asia-NY-Hawaii-Asia, all UA segments except for a single Maui-Honolulu segment on HI (note it was the only flight of the day for them, not connecting to a UA/*A flight). At check-in the HI agent forced them to pay $70x2 for bags.

Note that they're both 1K (so no baggage charges) on UA. By my reading of the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier rule, the first (TPAC, in biz) segment was on UA, thus shouldn't they be exempt from the HI baggage charges?

TIA for any advice/experiences.
I believe they were correctly charged if they were not connecting directly to or from another flight. If they were connecting to an int'l flight, there would have been no charge for the two bags. They weren't, so standard United domestic charges should apply. As 1Ks, they get waivers of standard United domestic charges at United counters. A Hawaiian counter is not a United counter and isn't even *A, so normal United fees should apply (since the waiver does not). The difference between "free luggage" and "waived luggage charges" is the problem here. 1Ks actually don't get "free luggage", we get "waivers of luggage charges at United counters". The applicable charges are calculated at each check in. Your parents checked in for a domestic flight. Domestic charges apply. They don't get a waiver because they are not at a United counter. If they paid any more than what United's normal (ie not waived) domestic charges are (based on weight and number), they have a complaint. Otherwise, there is no basis for a complaint. Complaints against Hawaiian have existed for years and it's due to a misunderstanding of "free" vs "waived". Living here, I understand the concept perfectly, but UA could be a little more explicit when ticketing UA/HA itineraries. It would save customers, UA, HA, and the DOT a lot of hassle.

"By my reading of the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier rule, the first (TPAC, in biz) segment was on UA, thus shouldn't they be exempt from the HI baggage charges?" No - the rule states that UA baggage charges apply - charges that are waived at United counters, but not (and not required to be ) at HA counters. Again, United isn't saying you get free luggage throughout the itinerary - they're just waiving the fees they would normally charge you when you check in at a United counter. If they checked in at Hawaiian with a connection to United int'l or flight, they would be subject to United's baggage fees, not Hawaiian's. Again, the waivers don't apply at a Hawaiian counter..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 4, 2015 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
I'm flying LAX-HNL on UA and my plans are to book a separate HA inter-island flight using Amex MR points to get me over to KOA (would book the direct LAX-KOA on UA but no F saver inventory available at this juncture). While I know there are no issues with interlining my luggage over to HA for the transfer, I wanted to make sure HA would not be able to hit me up with any baggage fees (I'm bringing golf clubs) for the inter-island segment. Based on the above analysis, I don't believe they can/will, but just wanted to make sure. Any thoughts?

There is an option for me to book an F saver award for an LAX-SFO-KOA itinerary on the date I'm traveling, but would prefer to get directly to the islands on the first leg.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Amazon Prime
Reading through this thread, am I correct in believing:
- Domestically flying UA to HNL, connecting to HA i/i *on a separate ticket*, I can get UA to check my bags all the way to KOA - up to mid March..
- No charge...
- Depends on a good check-in agent at EWR..?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:31 am

Question??

In January '15 when flying KOA to HNL (separate HA ticket) continuing on HNL to DEN (separate UA ticket) we were able to have HA agent check out bags thru to DEN. However, she said that once they got their new check-in terminals, they would no longer even have the option to do so.

Any updates on this policy would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Reading through this thread, am I correct in believing:
- Domestically flying UA to HNL, connecting to HA i/i *on a separate ticket*, I can get UA to check my bags all the way to KOA - up to mid March..
- No charge...
- Depends on a good check-in agent at EWR..?
Yes, you are correct. I have done it multiple times from DEN. If you mean "no charge" for baggage fees on your HA leg, you are incorrect. When checking in on HA, you will still need to pay baggage fees to HA. I just tell UA agent when checking in I want to inter-airline check my baggage thru to final destination and that I have already paid HA's baggage fees. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
I'm flying LAX-HNL on UA and my plans are to book a separate HA inter-island flight using Amex MR points to get me over to KOA (would book the direct LAX-KOA on UA but no F saver inventory available at this juncture). While I know there are no issues with interlining my luggage over to HA for the transfer, I wanted to make sure HA would not be able to hit me up with any baggage fees (I'm bringing golf clubs) for the inter-island segment. Based on the above analysis, I don't believe they can/will, but just wanted to make sure. Any thoughts?

There is an option for me to book an F saver award for an LAX-SFO-KOA itinerary on the date I'm traveling, but would prefer to get directly to the islands on the first leg.

Technically you still need to pay HA their baggage fees when checking in online. I have done what you are planning on doing multiple times. Occasionally I had a UA agent who is checking my bags ask if I have paid the baggage fees to HA. Most don't. I suppose you might get away with not paying HA, but I have not ever tried it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 13, 2015 at 4:16 am Reason: 3x merge
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:25 pm

Has anyone had any experience/problems interlining bags between UA and HA post 3/1/15. I have a LAX-HNL segment coming up with a connection to KOA on HA and am fearing that I now may need to reclaim my bags then re-check on HA which I would love to be able to avoid. I have a 1.5 hr connection time which could be a bit tight if the inbound LAX-HNL is delayed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had any experience/problems interlining bags between UA and HA post 3/1/15. I have a LAX-HNL segment coming up with a connection to KOA on HA and am fearing that I now may need to reclaim my bags then re-check on HA which I would love to be able to avoid. I have a 1.5 hr connection time which could be a bit tight if the inbound LAX-HNL is delayed.
If they are on the same ticket, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
on award travel between HNL-OGG on Hawaiian using United miles that's not connected to any other mainline itinerary, i also had to pay bag fees to HA.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expo
on award travel between HNL-OGG on Hawaiian using United miles that's not connected to any other mainline itinerary, i also had to pay bag fees to HA.
As is correct. HA, which is not a *A carrier, does no waive bag fees.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:16 pm

I called the Premier line and was informed that because I have Platinum status with UA, they will indeed interline my bags to UA notwithstanding the fact that I have a separate ticket # booked via HA for HNL-KOA and that HA is not a Star Alliance member. I asked about baggage fees, and I was given the impression that I should not worry about that as I would be checking my bags via UA in LAX. Will see how it all goes on Monday.....
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called the Premier line and was informed that because I have Platinum status with UA, they will indeed interline my bags to UA notwithstanding the fact that I have a separate ticket # booked via HA for HNL-KOA and that HA is not a Star Alliance member. I asked about baggage fees, and I was given the impression that I should not worry about that as I would be checking my bags via UA in LAX. Will see how it all goes on Monday.....
That is correct, at least for now. If you are returning on Hawaiian to HNL, you will be paying fees. Platinum status has nothing to do with the check-thru outbound - they will do it for anyone. It does get the United bags fees waived when you check in at United.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:21 pm

Thanks - my return trip is all UA....KOA-DEN-EWR, so not worried about that part. It was just the outbound from LAX-HNL with the separate HNL-KOA on HA that I was worried about. Somewhat indifferent as to baggage fees on the HA interline, I just want to make sure they get there without me having to claim, re-check, etc in HNL.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:52 am

I've never had a problem having bags checked thru to an HA leg when staring with a UA check in.

If starting with an HA leg, that is where supposedly HA will not (or cannot) check thru to a connecting UA flight.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dalejb2000
I've never had a problem having bags checked thru to an HA leg when staring with a UA check in.

If starting with an HA leg, that is where supposedly HA will not (or cannot) check thru to a connecting UA flight.
There is absolutely no problem checking a bag in at HA through to United if they are on the same ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
My experience on a separate HA itinerary in Hawaii coming off a UA flight is that i can get the bag checked all the way through to my final Hawaii destination at no extra cost on my arrival into Hawaii, but I always have to pay the HA Hawaii baggage charges on my return although they will check them through to my final destination.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gspurr
....but I always have to pay the HA Hawaii baggage charges on my return although they will check them through to my final destination.
That's because HA does not have to apply the Premier bag waiver available at UA check-in counters. Therefore, normal UA bag charges apply at HA check-ins on a United-marketed ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.