Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:24 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jessia2001
wow I am so glad you made it.... This sounds like a movie.

Yeah I got enough time now I think, but will still try to interline and will come back with an update. Did you enjoy your trip? How is the weather and water there
You definitely want to interline to avoid the checked bag fees that Hawaiian will surely collect. Fight for it at check-in if you have to. I'm not as smart as a lot of FTers here, but someone could probably find the 'GG' link that the check-in agent would look at to see how to do it. Since it is possible, and if you get push-back, tell them, politely, "I just did it 2 months ago! Could you call the help desk? I'd appreciate it!" @:-)

...But again, I had a kind, diligent agent at 1K check-in at ORD and I didn't have to fight for it. I don't want to generalize or be anecdotal, but from what I understand, EWR agents are not known for kindness nor diligence.

As to the other parts of your post: Heck yeah we enjoyed it! We do Maui annually, every December. Can't tell you much about the Big Island though. Water was like a bathtub, weather was a consistent 82 during the day and 73 at night, 2 of 8 days were overcast, but not a drop of precipitation the entire time. I do believe that Jan/Feb is a little more rainy on average though. We're trying to figure out how we can retire to Maui in 20 years or so...Unless...C'mon Powerball!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
...Further, I'd never book a 1-hour connection again. We arrived HNL 30 minutes late. WP closed the flight early and I had to beg and have my 2-year old daughter whip up some tears (figuratively) to get us on the flight, as the next flight wasn't until 4 hours later...Ultimately, they did reopen the door and let us on after driving us to the plane in a golf cart. You'll probably have better luck with HA, but I do like WP for the views (lower flying altitude) and quicker baggage claim (smaller planes).
Larry Ellison has signaled Island Air is for sale. Hawaiian has been flying a sub-fleet of turbo-props (re-opening routes HA had abandoned but WP was flying to) that was an obvious response to Ellison's purchase of WP and Island Air's profits have since plummeted and routes paired. Air fares have rocketed since Aloha's demise and loss of WP won't help. It would be a shame if WP was to fold and leave HA a virtual monopoly. WP staff is even more friendly than HA and they provide coffee/newspapers in morning at HNL departure area, along with WiFi and nice charge/work counter. The big problem for using WP as a UA connector to/from outer islands to HNL is the infrequent schedule relative to HA.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 6, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sigh. HA charged me $25 for my bag on my HNL-KOA and OGG-HNL hops even though they were connections via UA to the mainland.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
You definitely want to interline to avoid the checked bag fees that Hawaiian will surely collect. Fight for it at check-in if you have to. I'm not as smart as a lot of FTers here, but someone could probably find the 'GG' link that the check-in agent would look at to see how to do it. Since it is possible, and if you get push-back, tell them, politely, "I just did it 2 months ago! Could you call the help desk? I'd appreciate it!" @:-)

...But again, I had a kind, diligent agent at 1K check-in at ORD and I didn't have to fight for it. I don't want to generalize or be anecdotal, but from what I understand, EWR agents are not known for kindness nor diligence.

As to the other parts of your post: Heck yeah we enjoyed it! We do Maui annually, every December. Can't tell you much about the Big Island though. Water was like a bathtub, weather was a consistent 82 during the day and 73 at night, 2 of 8 days were overcast, but not a drop of precipitation the entire time. I do believe that Jan/Feb is a little more rainy on average though. We're trying to figure out how we can retire to Maui in 20 years or so...Unless...C'mon Powerball!

Good luck!!! ^ ^ hahahaha
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ronlap
Sigh. HA charged me $25 for my bag on my HNL-KOA and OGG-HNL hops even though they were connections via UA to the mainland.
HA will collect $25 for a bag (that's the UA bag charge) for a domestic bag checked from OGG-HNL-Mainland. UA bag fees are waived for Premiers and Chase card holders only at UA counters. HA check-in is not a United counter and HA is not *A, so there's no bag waiver on that basis either. Standard UA bag fees apply.

You would not have been charged a HA fee Mainland-HNL-KOA if the bags were tagged all the way through. If you picked them up at HNL and checked them in again with HA, you would have been correctly charged.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Is this a case where a RedCap might have been able to help?

I have only used a RedCap once where I had two airlines involved with a delay. The bag was a bit heavier than the limit but I had a hand full of singles and it got its tags and was whisked away.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Larry Ellison has signaled Island Air is for sale. Hawaiian has been flying a sub-fleet of turbo-props (re-opening routes HA had abandoned but WP was flying to) that was an obvious response to Ellison's purchase of WP and Island Air's profits have since plummeted and routes paired. Air fares have rocketed since Aloha's demise and loss of WP won't help. It would be a shame if WP was to fold and leave HA a virtual monopoly. WP staff is even more friendly than HA and they provide coffee/newspapers in morning at HNL departure area, along with WiFi and nice charge/work counter. The big problem for using WP as a UA connector to/from outer islands to HNL is the infrequent schedule relative to HA.
Such a shame. I too prefer WP when possible. Unlike HA, WP waived baggage fees for 1K (granted, I'm no longer 1K. Anyone know if the waiver is only for 1K, or for all UA premier levels?). Then there's the Four Seasons lounge (if going to a FS). I particularly miss the HNL-JHM route. After Aloha went under, typical inter island fares went from ~$29-39 each way to now $89 minimum on HA
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE
HNL-LIH on UA codeshare - getting an earlier connection

Traveling XXX-SFO-HNL-LIH on a UA issued ticket (all segments on same ticket), with the first 2 segments on UA metal, and the HNL-LIH segment as a UA codeshare on HA.

I've got a 3.5 hour connection in HNL, but there are two earlier HA flights that weren't showing up as options when we purchased. I'm hoping to be able to get an earlier connection, but was hoping to get some advice on the best chances for getting an earlier connection. Both the earlier flights seem to have space (Y9).

We'll have checked bags, so I know this complicates things once the bags are tagged. We're UA 1K and *Gold if it matters, but I know that doesn't make a difference to HA.

1. As far as options, is it possible that the UA agent would be able to put us on the earlier flight when we check in for our first UA flight (I know this one is probably a longshot?)

2. Does HA offer same day change options when checking in online? If so, are we able to check in online separately for the HA segment and see if they offer a same-day change option online?

3. If not, is there any option to standby for an earlier HNL-LIH flight once we get to HNL if we have checked baggage? Another post mentioned an option to standby for an earlier flight for a $25 fee, but not sure if it's an option with a checked bag.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Follow up - I am back from Oahu!! Hawaii is amazing.

Newark UA agent did help me interline my luggage, saved me $30 for HA. You need to line up for the specific inquiry queue though, the normal kiosk cannot help you with this. Trick - just say you call UA hotline and they promise they will do this for you. This is what I said, and actually what happened on me. UA agent said - as long as two tickets are issued by UA, UA will help interline even if they are not on the same ticket.

But in general UA do not do this any more.. unless you are a gold or silver something... (sorry not familiar with the club names..)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
no bag charge on interline ticket; scattered seating

I just flew an interline ticket LIH-HNL-SFO. I was pleasantly surprised to not be charged for my checked bag, even though I have no status with HA. I checked in at the machine in LIH and noted that I had two free bags per pax - I'm assuming due to being 1K on UA.

I was unpleasantly surprised by HA's seating protocol, however. My wife and I were seated in middle seats at opposite ends of the 717. I had not pre-selected seats online, which turned out to be a mistake. The only way we were able to sit together was to purchase exit-row seats for $10 each on the LIH-HNL flight. I really didn't have a preference for seating location, but assumed that HA would seat us together since we were booked on the same PNR. That turned out to be a mistake.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
I just flew an interline ticket LIH-HNL-SFO. I was pleasantly surprised to not be charged for my checked bag, even though I have no status with HA. I checked in at the machine in LIH and noted that I had two free bags per pax - I'm assuming due to being 1K on UA.

I was unpleasantly surprised by HA's seating protocol, however. My wife and I were seated in middle seats at opposite ends of the 717. I had not pre-selected seats online, which turned out to be a mistake. The only way we were able to sit together was to purchase exit-row seats for $10 each on the LIH-HNL flight. I really didn't have a preference for seating location, but assumed that HA would seat us together since we were booked on the same PNR. That turned out to be a mistake.
At least the flight is like 20 minutes long....
Old May 18, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
So this is really confusing.

I have a ticket booked with United Miles for KOA - OGG and then a separate ticket using miles for OGG - DEN- AUS (got it for 35K roundtrip as part of the sale a few weeks back)

When I bought my ticket (KOA- OGG) the screen says to make sure to use your Milegeplus credit card to save on checked bags (I have the screen shot).

Questions
1. Will I have to pay baggage fees for this segment?

2. If I buy this segment ($122) a person would I have to pay for bags?

3. Will they check it all the way through in either scenario?

4. If I do have to pay fees, can I join Hawaiian Miles and a pay a lower rate? (From their website - HawaiianMiles Members* - $15)

Thanks!

Last edited by NDtraveler; May 18, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old May 18, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
... I have a ticket booked with United Miles for KOA - OGG and then a separate ticket using miles for OGG - DEN- AUS (got it for 35K roundtrip as part of the sale a few weeks back)

When I bought my ticket (KOA- OGG) the screen says to make sure to use your Milegeplus credit card to save on checked bags (I have the screen shot).

Questions
1. Will I have to pay baggage fees for this segment? ...
the credit card benefit is meaningless for HA checkin.
The credit card fine print specific mentions UA operated flights.The screen message is generic to bookings made on united.com regardless applicability.
2. ... If I buy this segment ($122) a person would I have to pay for bags? ...
yes

... 3. Will they check it all the way through in either scenario? ...
most likely yes

4. If I do have to pay fees, can I join Hawaiian Miles and a pay a lower rate? (From their website - HawaiianMiles Members* - $15) ...
I would
Old May 18, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The $15 discounted fee only applies on inter-island trips and your HA number has to be on the reservation. $15 doesn't get it/them to the mainland IF HA allows you to check through, to wit:

"Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same itinerary for which the passenger is checking in."

You may have to pay to check the bags to OGG, pick 'em up, schlep 'em over to United, clear security again. Luckily, HA bag claim to United counter is much shorter at OGG than at HNL.

YMMV...

Traveler tip for OGG: If needed, you can usually find a "free" luggage cart directly across bag claim in parking lot or in rental car shuttle pick-up area (not drop-off area) while waiting for bags to arrive at carousel #1...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 18, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.