Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:56 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Unhappy Help! United interline baggage with HA (separate UA award ticket)

Hi all, I really appreciate your help here. I am traveling from New York to Hilo on 2/9/16, and here is my itinerary:

(separate tickets, separate confirmation)

1) UA ticket: EWR - HNL, arrive 3:30pm

2) UA issued award ticket operated by HA: HNL - HILO, leave at 5pm

I am under an impression that baggage can be interlined, but learnt yesterday there is a change in policy in March 2015!! If i have to re-check my bag at HNL, I don't think 1.5 hour is enough for me to do that given the lines etc..

Can someone please share your knowledge if you have done this after march 2015? HA is not star alliance, and my reservation are on separate ticket. i am only hoping UA can help me given they ticketed both tickets.

Thank you very much!!
jessia2001 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:59 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,600
Since UA booked both, they MIGHT be able to combine. Otherwise you'll hafta claim & re-check, as I often do. Good luck.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:29 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 74
While I can't offer any help in the matter, I will be curious to see other definitive answers, or hear what your experience ends up being. I did the same for June of this year (IAD-HNL paid, HNL-KOA award). I think we have ample time, but an interline would be ideal.
rmlanman is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:48 am
  #154  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,265
There will be no definitive answers to your question. Anybody who did get their bags checked through got it done as a courtesy. It is a small courtesy so I would simply ask when you check in for your bags to be checked to ITO and have a paper copy of the e-ticket receipt for the onward HA journey handy. It is no big deal for the agent to do it. The easier you make it the more likely it is to happen.

You are booked on separate tickets on a non-*A transfer. Thus, it will be in the sole discretion of the agent at check-in. There is nothing you can do in advance to assure that this will happen as nobody you call can make it happen. If the answer is no, just proceed.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:47 am
  #155  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,956
Originally Posted by Often1
You are booked on separate tickets on a non-*A transfer. Thus, it will be in the sole discretion of the agent at check-in. There is nothing you can do in advance to assure that this will happen as nobody you call can make it happen. If the answer is no, just proceed.
This is correct, unfortunately. As an aside, you should be aware that if they will not interline the baggage for you, you can expect to be charged twice for the luggage -- once by UA and once by HA -- unless you have the necessary status levels with each airline or are flying in first class.

That said, I believe 1.5 hours should be enough time if the UA flight is on time. You can take the "intra-terminal" wiki-wiki shuttle from the baggage claim area to the inter-island terminal, and even if the lines are long, you should have at least half an hour before the check-in cut-off time (30 minutes before departure for neighbor island flights).

Also, there are four additional flights that evening from HNL to ITO on HA, so that gives you two options: (a) look for UA award space on a later flight and change those tickets now -- a $75 fee per ticket, waived for UA Silver or above, or (b) take your chances and hope that a sympathetic HA agent would put you onto a later flight if you miss your earlier one.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip. :-)
jsloan is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:00 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: HNL
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is correct, unfortunately. As an aside, you should be aware that if they will not interline the baggage for you, you can expect to be charged twice for the luggage -- once by UA and once by HA -- unless you have the necessary status levels with each airline or are flying in first class.

That said, I believe 1.5 hours should be enough time if the UA flight is on time. You can take the "intra-terminal" wiki-wiki shuttle from the baggage claim area to the inter-island terminal, and even if the lines are long, you should have at least half an hour before the check-in cut-off time (30 minutes before departure for neighbor island flights).

Also, there are four additional flights that evening from HNL to ITO on HA, so that gives you two options: (a) look for UA award space on a later flight and change those tickets now -- a $75 fee per ticket, waived for UA Silver or above, or (b) take your chances and hope that a sympathetic HA agent would put you onto a later flight if you miss your earlier one.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip. :-)
Good advice. One more thing - go ahead and sign up for a Hawaiian Miles account. If HA does end up charging you, the inter-island baggage fee for members is $15 instead of $25.
Wx4caster is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:19 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Thank you all, for posting such helpful reply here. Happy New Year by the way

Based on what you said, I am going to bring along my United reservation, check in, and ask the agent check my bag to the end as I have another united reservation, and hope for the best.

If not, I will have to re-check my bag at HNL. But just understand should I pay for change fee ($200) to move to a later flight (like 6pm) to HILO. Is 1.5 sound possible given I need re-check the bag? I know it's not safe at all... but if it's like more than 50% of the chance I will miss it. I should probably consider move the itinerary ahead of time. plus... I am traveling with my parents..

Thanks again!
jessia2001 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:56 am
  #158  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 14,824
Originally Posted by jessia2001
Thank you all, for posting such helpful reply here. Happy New Year by the way

Based on what you said, I am going to bring along my United reservation, check in, and ask the agent check my bag to the end as I have another united reservation, and hope for the best.

If not, I will have to re-check my bag at HNL. But just understand should I pay for change fee ($200) to move to a later flight (like 6pm) to HILO. Is 1.5 sound possible given I need re-check the bag? I know it's not safe at all... but if it's like more than 50% of the chance I will miss it. I should probably consider move the itinerary ahead of time. plus... I am traveling with my parents..

Thanks again!
The only ticket a $200 change fee would come into play is relative to your United flight(s) to/from Hawaii. It will not apply to your award ticket change, but award fees will.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:14 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The only ticket a $200 change fee would come into play is relative to your United flight(s) to/from Hawaii. It will not apply to your award ticket change, but award fees will.
good point!!! Thanks. I think $75 is fine. I will rebook my tickets to 6pm... just to be safe. Let's see if there are seats.
jessia2001 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:16 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: HNL
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The only ticket a $200 change fee would come into play is relative to your United flight(s) to/from Hawaii. It will not apply to your award ticket change, but award fees will.

It's a gamble, but I still think you are ok with 1.5 hr connection. I would have booked 2 hours myself, but at this point, I'd probably just stick with what you have.

Best case, they check your bags through. Less-Good case, they don't check bags through, but your flight is on time, so 1.5 hours is enough time to get the bags and take the shuttle to the inter-island terminal. (how many bags are we talking about? Your parents may be able to take the airside shuttle instead of exiting security). Worst case, they don't check bags through and you're late (and even worse, later flights are full) -- there lies the risk. But, given that it is a United award ticket I would hope UA would do what they can to change the ticket to a later flight without fees if you misconnect.

As far as changing flights, assuming you have no elite status, you can probably book a whole new inter-island ticket for less than the change fees involved!
Wx4caster is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:20 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Update: Not sure what luck I have, speak to a united agent, as a courtesy, moved me and my parents to the 6:10pm flight. Thank you all for your help.

I have dealt with many TERRIBLE united agents, this one is Great.
jessia2001 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:53 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: HNL
Posts: 1,012
Nice - glad that worked out ^ I hated the thought of paying a $75 change fee for a ticket that costs... about $75.
Wx4caster is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:14 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Exactly!
jessia2001 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:12 am
  #164  
Used to be MBS PremExec
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saginaw, MI (MBS)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,720
Sorry I'm late to the party...

I JUST had the exact same situation, ORD-HNL-OGG, the only slight difference was we were on Island Air (WP) versus Hawaiian for the HNL-OGG.

At ORD, the check in agent said "This will be difficult, but I'll get it". It did take her about 10 minutes of research, but she not only checked our bags all the way through, but printed us WP boarding passes.

This was especially difficult as we had a schedule change that actually left us with a slightly illegal connection (58 minute layover, versus the published minimum of 1 hour).

Further, I'd never book a 1-hour connection again. We arrived HNL 30 minutes late. WP closed the flight early and I had to beg and have my 2-year old daughter whip up some tears (figuratively) to get us on the flight, as the next flight wasn't until 4 hours later...Ultimately, they did reopen the door and let us on after driving us to the plane in a golf cart. You'll probably have better luck with HA, but I do like WP for the views (lower flying altitude) and quicker baggage claim (smaller planes).
MBS MillionMiler is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:47 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Kimpton; MR Gold
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Sorry I'm late to the party...

I JUST had the exact same situation, ORD-HNL-OGG, the only slight difference was we were on Island Air (WP) versus Hawaiian for the HNL-OGG.

At ORD, the check in agent said "This will be difficult, but I'll get it". It did take her about 10 minutes of research, but she not only checked our bags all the way through, but printed us WP boarding passes.

This was especially difficult as we had a schedule change that actually left us with a slightly illegal connection (58 minute layover, versus the published minimum of 1 hour).

Further, I'd never book a 1-hour connection again. We arrived HNL 30 minutes late. WP closed the flight early and I had to beg and have my 2-year old daughter whip up some tears (figuratively) to get us on the flight, as the next flight wasn't until 4 hours later...Ultimately, they did reopen the door and let us on after driving us to the plane in a golf cart. You'll probably have better luck with HA, but I do like WP for the views (lower flying altitude) and quicker baggage claim (smaller planes).

wow I am so glad you made it.... This sounds like a movie.

Yeah I got enough time now I think, but will still try to interline and will come back with an update. Did you enjoy your trip? How is the weather and water there
jessia2001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.