Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
So does anyone know what would happen on a separate ticket (EWR-HNL, UA F)->(HNL-KOA, HA Y) ?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
So does anyone know what would happen on a separate ticket (EWR-HNL, UA F)->(HNL-KOA, HA Y) ?
Try to get UA to check it through to your final destination at check-in.

If not, you will have to exist airside, claim your bag, go back to the Hawaiian check-in lobby, pay for and check your bags.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Maybe there was a counter for re-check but we didn't find it anyway...
Yes, it's easy to miss, there's more than one exit and it's before the exit IIRC. It's been a long time since I had a checked bag. I fly that route all the time. I think there's a sign that says "connections".

Don't get us started on the wiki wiki thing. It's horrible and a horrible way to arrive in the US. And you rode the new and improved version of it believe it or not. There's no other secure connection to immigration and customs from the Diamond Head terminal, so they force everybody upstairs to level 3 to ride the wiki wiki to immigration and customs, and they pack it like a sardine can.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, it's easy to miss, there's more than one exit and it's before the exit IIRC. It's been a long time since I had a checked bag. I fly that route all the time. I think there's a sign that says "connections".

Don't get us started on the wiki wiki thing. It's horrible and a horrible way to arrive in the US. And you rode the new and improved version of it believe it or not. There's no other secure connection to immigration and customs from the Diamond Head terminal, so they force everybody upstairs to level 3 to ride the wiki wiki to immigration and customs, and they pack it like a sardine can.

-David
Darn it... We spent 20 minutes walking up and down after exiting Customs hall. I remember there is a second floor when you exit the hall, but it is for check-ins, not for re-checks...

So it is right there when you exit the one-way door, right?

Anyway, it's a long way (uphill if I remember it correctly) to Diamond Hill Terminal.

BTW, on HNL website, I see they are constructing quite a lot of things. Is a secured walkway for international arrival flights on the list? It's not a pleasant way to start a vacation for now...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Darn it... We spent 20 minutes walking up and down after exiting Customs hall. I remember there is a second floor when you exit the hall, but it is for check-ins, not for re-checks...

Anyway, it's a long way (uphill if I remember it correctly) to Diamond Hill Terminal.

BTW, on HNL website, I see they are constructing quite a lot of things. Is a secured walkway for international arrival flights on the list? It's not a pleasant way to start a vacation for now...
An int'l arrivals walkway would have to be at the same level that the WikiWiki bus runs across the top of the check-in/TSA/shopping areas. I suppose it could be done, but I've heard no talk of it. There's little, if any, elevation change between arrivals hall and baggage claim level in the main terminal, but you do have to go up a level to the check-in area.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:20 am

IIRC if you exit the customs hall you already missed it. It's after bag inspection or after the point you get waived through but before you exit, towards the left. That's what I remember.

If I remember I'll look again when I go through there mid January.

They have an email address on their website if you want to ask the airport.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
An int'l arrivals walkway would have to be at the same level that the WikiWiki bus runs across the top of the check-in/TSA/shopping areas. I suppose it could be done, but I've heard no talk of it. There's little, if any, elevation change between arrivals hall and baggage claim level in the main terminal, but you do have to go up a level to the check-in area.
remember, the third level ends at the end (or beginning) of the Diamond Head concourse, so it would be hard to do, much harder than the $100m one they did from the concourse Hawaiian uses.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 16, 2014 at 2:29 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:02 am

United / Hawaiian Airlines baggage questions

Hi,

I'm a *Gold Member.

I've an upcoming travel in SFO -> Maui -> Honolulu -> SFO .

Maui -> HNL is on Hawaiian Airlines and the rest are on United and the entire itinerary is on same PNR. As a star gold member i get free bags on united, but united mobile app shows that i need to pay baggage fees for the Hawaiian airlines part.

My understanding was that originating airlines' rule applies throughout the entire journey and the ticket was also issued by United, but surprised to see the baggage fees.

Any experience on how these scenarios handled? Couldn't find much info on Hawaiian airlines website about allowance to star gold members.

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mustafaa
Hi,

I'm a *Gold Member.

I've an upcoming travel in SFO -> Maui -> Honolulu -> SFO .

Maui -> HNL is on Hawaiian Airlines and the rest are on United and the entire itinerary is on same PNR. As a star gold member i get free bags on united, but united mobile app shows that i need to pay baggage fees for the Hawaiian airlines part.

My understanding was that originating airlines' rule applies throughout the entire journey and the ticket was also issued by United, but surprised to see the baggage fees.

Any experience on how these scenarios handled? Couldn't find much info on Hawaiian airlines website about allowance to star gold members.

Thanks

If you itinerary is SFO>OGG on United with a stay in Maui and then your return trip is OGG>HNL on Hawaiian connecting in HNL and continuing to SFO on UA then yes you will need to pay a baggage fee on Hawaiian because for your return trip Hawaiian is your originating airline.

The last time I did a similar itinerary, when I checked in for my OGG>HNL flight online I was offered a cheap buy-up to F on HA. I took it because it provided me no baggage fees and was actually $10 less than what we were going to pay in baggage fees.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
People keep misunderstanding the baggage fee issue when buying a United ticket that includes a check-in at a Hawaiian counter, where you will be charged a bag fee, regardless of your UA status and what you think UA is telling you.

Look at your UA reservation. The bag fees are waived if check-in conforms to the following: "Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express". Hawaiian is not United or United Express. Therefore, normal United baggage fees will apply. If Hawaiian charges you any more than normal United fees ($25 for 1st, $35 for 2nd), then you have a complaint.

"Couldn't find much info on Hawaiian airlines website about allowance to star gold members."
Well, you won't. Hawaiian is not *A and recognizes neither UA customer status or *G status.

"..because for your return trip Hawaiian is your originating airline." Sort of - UA baggage fees apply (not Hawaiian's), and fees are not waived (a United benefit at a UA or UAX counter) because they are checking in at Hawaiian, not UA. For a long time, Hawaiian wasn't even charging what they could've under UA rules ($17 vs $25), but that got no compliments because everyone thought they should get free bags because they don't understand the UA's waiver conditions (ie check-in at a UA or UAX counter).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A routine complaint and it stems from a misunderstanding of DOT rules. Because HA sticks to the letter of the law and no more, it arises on tickets with inter-island segments along with flights to/from the Mainland.

The DOT rule is that the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments. That includes out and back. For a standard seat in Y (the cabin, not the fare bucket), UA provides no baggage allowance and charges a $25 fee for the first bag.

The distinction between allowance and waiver is that on other carriers, waivers are not part of the DOT calculation. Thus, the original allowance of 0 applies to the non-UA inter-island segment(s) and as there is no waiver, whatever the fee is applies.

Most carriers don't get that picky. But, HA does. So, you pay.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yes - the OP is going to pay.

But one way to dull the pain is to buy-up to F on HA at check-in. If you have more than one bag, the cost difference is minimal and the novelty is worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yes - the OP is going to pay.

But one way to dull the pain is to buy-up to F on HA at check-in. If you have more than one bag, the cost difference is minimal and the novelty is worth it.
Will definitely do this next time. On a recent KOA-HNL I got stuck in something like 23E and the pitch on those planes is TIGHT. I had to twist like a pretzel and I am only 6'3".
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the clarification. For some reason, i thought HA is part of *A, that was source of all confusion. Will try to upgrade to First class as suggested above.

Last edited by mustafaa; Dec 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by mustafaa
Thanks everyone for the clarification. For some reason, i thought HA is part of *A, that was source of all confusion. Will try to upgrade to First class as suggested above.
Keep in mind: if you buy up to F on HA, that segment will likely not qualify for PQDs. It is a bug.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hookthem
Keep in mind: if you buy up to F on HA, that segment will likely not qualify for PQDs. It is a bug.
Or is this bug a feature?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.