Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by transportprof
Or is this bug a feature?
My HA segments each got 100 miles and $32...

Originally Posted by Often1
A routine complaint and it stems from a misunderstanding of DOT rules. Because HA sticks to the letter of the law and no more, it arises on tickets with inter-island segments along with flights to/from the Mainland.

The DOT rule is that the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments. That includes out and back. For a standard seat in Y (the cabin, not the fare bucket), UA provides no baggage allowance and charges a $25 fee for the first bag.

The distinction between allowance and waiver is that on other carriers, waivers are not part of the DOT calculation. Thus, the original allowance of 0 applies to the non-UA inter-island segment(s) and as there is no waiver, whatever the fee is applies.

Most carriers don't get that picky. But, HA does. So, you pay.
I think your explanation makes big sense. For UA domestic itineraries, all the free bags are the result of waivers, since the allowance is always 0. Clearly, the UA mobile app is consistent with 0 allowance and tells that HA is gonna charge for the OGG>HNL segment.

However, my international itinerary issued by UA is a little bit different, as it told me I get one free bag for the OGG>HNL, which I didn't. Maybe when rules of international itineraries are introduced, things get less clear?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT rules do not distinguish by D-vs-I. They apply to all US carriers and to all tickets with segments originating-terminating in the US. This one applies both because UA is a US carrier and because OGG-HNL are both US stations (only one need be).

If UA, as the ticketing carrier, sent you an e-ticket receipt showing a one-bag allowance and the operating carrier refused to honor it, you can complain to UA for a refund (no funny money vouchers unless you want them) and then complain to DOT. Make sure you attach the actual e-ticket receipt showing the allowance.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Often1
The DOT rules do not distinguish by D-vs-I. They apply to all US carriers and to all tickets with segments originating-terminating in the US. This one applies both because UA is a US carrier and because OGG-HNL are both US stations (only one need be).

If UA, as the ticketing carrier, sent you an e-ticket receipt showing a one-bag allowance and the operating carrier refused to honor it, you can complain to UA for a refund (no funny money vouchers unless you want them) and then complain to DOT. Make sure you attach the actual e-ticket receipt showing the allowance.
Yeah. This is a fairly simple contract action.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
For my flight, EWR-HNL (F) connecting to HA HNL-KOA, do you think I have any sway with UA to check all the way to KOA? I'm checking in 2 heavy bags (over 50lbs for sure) so it would be nice. Will I have to persuade UA at EWR?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
For my flight, EWR-HNL (F) connecting to HA HNL-KOA, do you think I have any sway with UA to check all the way to KOA? I'm checking in 2 heavy bags (over 50lbs for sure) so it would be nice. Will I have to persuade UA at EWR?
If you're in F w/ no status, you get 2 bags up to 70lbs each. If the HA flight is on same ticket, no problem. UA will do it automatically. If on separate ticket, you'll have to find competent baggage agent (not contract baggage handler), give him/her your HA itinerary and ask them to check through. They'll do this thru March 15th. After that, you'll have to claim in HNL, go to interisland terminal and re-check (and be charged for extra weight by HA).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:01 pm

I would advise anyone going to Hawaii to try and avoid HA. I few years back I had a UA to HNL flt. The flight from the mainland was a UA flt landing in OGG. My flt from OGG to HNL was a disaster. First I was denied boarding - HA GA said my reservation did not exist!! After the plane was fully loaded (including my seat), the GA worked on finding my reservation. After about 5 minutes, she was able to find it. Then she had to remove the standby from my seat. Now I was on the plane!

When I arrived in HNL, my bags were not there. They were delivered late the next day. I checked the routing tags on my bags - they had been sent back and forth between OGG and HNL a couple of times (wish I could have earned miles on BIA [bags in air]).

I just recently booked 2 separate tickets in and out of ITO, I made sure to avoid any HA flights!!

Last edited by uaflr; Dec 21, 2014 at 8:03 pm Reason: add info
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:39 pm

HA's i/i operation is much better today than it was a few years ago after AQ stopped flying. Your experience doesn't sound typical.

Separate tickets are going to present new challenges for UA flyers very soon, and do today for HA flyers.

-David
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uaflr
I would advise anyone going to Hawaii to try and avoid HA. I few years back I had a UA to HNL flt. The flight from the mainland was a UA flt landing in OGG. My flt from OGG to HNL was a disaster. First I was denied boarding - HA GA said my reservation did not exist!! After the plane was fully loaded (including my seat), the GA worked on finding my reservation. After about 5 minutes, she was able to find it. Then she had to remove the standby from my seat. Now I was on the plane!

When I arrived in HNL, my bags were not there. They were delivered late the next day. I checked the routing tags on my bags - they had been sent back and forth between OGG and HNL a couple of times (wish I could have earned miles on BIA [bags in air]).

I just recently booked 2 separate tickets in and out of ITO, I made sure to avoid any HA flights!!
Well, your one experience is hardly the norm for HA. Avoiding HA inter-island can give rise to other problems. I was heading from OGG to HNL for a meeting and my Island Air (Larry Ellison's new toy) flight was 2 hours late. Their frequency was about every two hours vs 30-45 minutes for HA. I can say "I'll never fly Island ever again" because of that one incident, but I won't. All airlines have their hiccups. Advising someone not to take Hawaiian based on your one experience is a bit ridiculous.

The luggage problem was probably caused by United. My guess is the bags went straight from your United flight to OGG carousel #5 when you arrived. Not too many people decide to go to Honolulu via Maui, and all the bags usually go right to the carousel. Maybe you should be telling people never to fly United. You did get on you HA flight. United, in almost all probability, messed up your bags.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 21, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Thanks IAH-OIL-TRASH for the tip. I'll make sure to get to EWR early so I can fight this out if need be. I'm sure at EWR hub UA check-in agents are more used to handling this query than other places. But then again.. UA...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Most Significant Carrier & baggage on Hawaiian

Hi all - trying to figure out if my in-laws were wronged today. They're on a UA ticket Asia-NY-Hawaii-Asia, all UA segments except for a single Maui-Honolulu segment on HI (note it was the only flight of the day for them, not connecting to a UA/*A flight). At check-in the HI agent forced them to pay $70x2 for bags.

Note that they're both 1K (so no baggage charges) on UA. By my reading of the IATA interline Most Significant Carrier rule, the first (TPAC, in biz) segment was on UA, thus shouldn't they be exempt from the HI baggage charges?

TIA for any advice/experiences.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is no IATA MSC for domestic flights or flights touching USA. There is instead the DoT rules about first marketing carrier.

Regardless, as discussion up-thread, UA has a fee which is waived by UA for its flights but the fee, not the waiver is what non-*A connecting carriers are bound by.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no IATA MSC for domestic flights or flights touching USA. There is instead the DoT rules about first marketing carrier.

Regardless, as discussion up-thread, UA has a fee which is waived by UA for its flights but the fee, not the waiver is what non-*A connecting carriers are bound by.
But if there was Asia on the ticket they should get 1 free bag no matter what their status is.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Reading through the whole thread, I STILL don't see any consensus about whether HA can charge the intra-island bag fees on a single PNR ticket with UA as the first segment / marketed carrier.

Took a couple notes and will have them just protest the charge w/their CC issuer.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Reading through the whole thread, I STILL don't see any consensus about whether HA can charge the intra-island bag fees on a single PNR ticket with UA as the first segment / marketed carrier. ...
Pretty clear HA does charge and no reports of HA refunding. There has been an explanation of why they would be permitted, but only lack of consensus is people agree to that explanation.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
.... Took a couple notes and will have them just protest the charge w/their CC issuer.
Remember an attempt to resolve must occur first.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
I believe HA has no choice but to transfer the bags if it is not the originating airlines, but will charge whatever they can if it is, no matter what.
People should get one bag free when flying internationally. This is not a waiver. HA can find all kinds of excuses to define them as waivers nonetheless.
I do believe this is a grey area, much greyer than some of the HA-supporters here believe it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.