Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Policy is no. HA was one of the first airlines to stop interlining on separate tickets.

However, with a friendly agent, YMMV as always.
Friendly agent in Hawaii? If you're from the mainland, that's funny. I suppose if you're local and Hawaiian, there's always a chance.

​​​
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kryssa
...To carve out some extra time for the Hawaiian lounge at HNL (using Priority Pass,) is it possible Hawaiian might check our luggage through?...
There is absolutely no reason to extend a journey just to spend time in a windowless, low-amenity lounge in Honolulu, especially if you have to collect bags at HNL, haul them almost the length of the airport to UA, and then return to inter-island terminal. Your chance of check-thru are low. There's a reason HA is achieving good revenue growth.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There is absolutely no reason to extend a journey just to spend time in a windowless, low-amenity lounge in Honolulu, especially if you have to collect bags at HNL, haul them almost the length of the airport to UA, and then return to inter-island terminal. Your chance of check-thru are low. There's a reason HA is achieving good revenue growth.
I read it as they have this itinerary booked (and honestly 4 hours is not an unreasonable buffer across separate tickets), and since they're booked this way, might as well hang in that lounge rather than deal with claiming and rechecking.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
I read it as they have this itinerary booked (and honestly 4 hours is not an unreasonable buffer across separate tickets), and since they're booked this way, might as well hang in that lounge rather than deal with claiming and rechecking.
4 hours in the Premier Club would be almost insufferable. HA has frequent KOA-HNL flights and 4 hours is beyond a comfortable connection. If I was forced into that kind of layover, I'd schlep the bags to UA and Uber to Nico's at the harbor. Zero deliberation.

With a 4-hour layover, I think I'd even rather try to avoid checking the bag(s) just to give me something to do to kill time.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 30, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
4 hours in the Premier Club would be almost insufferable. HA has frequent KOA-HNL flights and 4 hours is beyond a comfortable connection. If I was forced into that kind of layover, I'd schlep the bags to UA and Uber to Nico's at the harbor. Zero deliberation.
Yes I would absolutely leave the airport with 4 hours to kill.

Note also that since this itinerary is KOA-HNL-SFO, using Premier Club would require making the trek between inter-island and main terminal three times rather than just once. Totally not worth it IMO.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Due to complicated scheduling needs and pricing, we're flying KOA-HNL-SFO on Hawaiian & United with almost a 4 hour layover on 2 separate tickets.

To carve out some extra time for the Hawaiian lounge at HNL (using Priority Pass,) is it possible Hawaiian might check our luggage through? I know that while they aren't Star Alliance, they do work with United on some itineraries and you can credit your Hawaiian flights to MilagePlus.

Thanks!
A few weeks ago we were flying LIH-HNL on Hawaiian, connecting to HNL-LAX on a separate United ticket. Tried to check luggage through, and no dice. Hawaiian Air check in agent said that, while they used to interline luggage to United, it is no longer possible.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
A few weeks ago we were flying LIH-HNL on Hawaiian, connecting to HNL-LAX on a separate United ticket. Tried to check luggage through, and no dice. Hawaiian Air check in agent said that, while they used to interline luggage to United, it is no longer possible.
Thanks
Old May 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The first (and last) time I tried to return to Colorado from Honolulu by going HNL-OGG-LAX-DEN via Hawaiian (code share sold by UA), HA charged me for my bag even though I had a free bag from United. I like Hawaiian's flights but I refuse to fly them on a code-share anymore.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
The first (and last) time I tried to return to Colorado from Honolulu by going HNL-OGG-LAX-DEN via Hawaiian (code share sold by UA), HA charged me for my bag even though I had a free bag from United. I like Hawaiian's flights but I refuse to fly them on a code-share anymore.
Bag waivers based on solely United status or UA-related credit cards only apply at United counters and it says so in the UA MP program and Chase terms. Refusing to fly Hawaiian because you're not getting something you mistakenly think you should get doesn't make sense.

To be clear, it's not a "free" bag at United counters - it's a waiver of fee. You don't get the fee waiver if you don't check in with United. You pay normal United bag fees at a Hawaiian counter if UA was the first carrier out of (I assume) Denver.

It's a common misinterpretation of United bag fees when people get P.o.'d at Hawaiian when it's really not their fault.

You can still fly from mainland, connect to Hawaiian w/o fees on same ticket. Coming back is where normal UA bag fees apply at HA counters on a UA-issued codeshare.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 2, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 10:12 pm

I have to fly IAH - HNL -PPG (American Samoa) later this summer and am wondering how long to leave for the connection since I will be on two PNRs, UA then HA. All of my previous PPG trips have been with a day or two in between flights. Any thoughts/advice on timing?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prestor John
I have to fly IAH - HNL -PPG (American Samoa) later this summer and am wondering how long to leave for the connection since I will be on two PNRs, UA then HA. All of my previous PPG trips have been with a day or two in between flights. Any thoughts/advice on timing?
4 hours to be really comfortable. Might seem a bit much, but you have to claim bag and re-check bag (both in main terminal), plus leave time for UA delay, although IAH-HNL non-stop is pretty reliable, time wise.

3 hours might be OK. I wouldn't try anything less. There's only one PPG flight a day.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:40 pm

4 hours to be really comfortable. Might seem a bit much, but you have to claim bag and re-check bag (both in main terminal), plus leave time for UA delay, although IAH-HNL non-stop is pretty reliable, time wise.

3 hours might be OK. I wouldn't try anything less. There's only one PPG flight a day.
Thanks, good stuff. There are only two flights a week to AmSam normally with a third for a short time each year in the summer! Definitely do not want to miss but cannot stay extra days in advance this time. I might be connecting from IAH at LAX still working it out. The IAH nonstop lands just after 1pm with HA leaving at 5:45pm so I am hopefully I that will work and it gives me the time you noted. Thanks again

Last edited by Prestor John; May 2, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see a lot of HA+UA on separate tickets examples in this thread. I got my wife and daughter one way UA award tickets OGG-HNL-NRT (coming back NRT-SFO on separate one way award tickets). It is all one award on one 016 ticket with UA being the marketing carrier. As the first leg is on HA will they be charged baggage fees? The way I interpret the rule is they should not but HA can be stinky about it. All the examples I can find in this thread are HA and UA on separate tickets.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
I see a lot of HA+UA on separate tickets examples in this thread. I got my wife and daughter one way UA award tickets OGG-HNL-NRT (coming back NRT-SFO on separate one way award tickets). It is all one award on one 016 ticket with UA being the marketing carrier. As the first leg is on HA will they be charged baggage fees? The way I interpret the rule is they should not but HA can be stinky about it. All the examples I can find in this thread are HA and UA on separate tickets.
OGG-HNL-Japan, single ticket, with Hawaiian check-in, gets 2 50lb bags free at OGG.
rojored likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OGG-HNL-Japan, single ticket, with Hawaiian check-in, gets 2 50lb bags free at OGG.
Excellent. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.