Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
With all the issues that people have with this, and I have been one of them and it is bad when you travel with people with lower status, especially children, why has UA not made it an option so you can say at check-in you do not want the reservation split?
It does for CPU, but for some reason, automatically splits for miles and presumably cert upgrades. If I had to guess, I'd say the thought process is with the latter types, you've specifically opted in to be upgraded, so it assumes you want to go on the standby list, but with CPU it's automatic so they want a specific opt in to get on the standby list. Not a great assumption, necesaarily, but just one thought on why it might be that way.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slippahs
Not really. 1K here and wife is now silver. We split ressies last week to get on the upgrade list and the app wanted to charge me for E+ seating when I wanted to switch to another row. Had to get GA to override and even she remarked that the app behavior was bizarre... Then again, I guess nothing is unexpected from UA these days.
oh. My split was at check-in. Not in advance. Maybe that makes a difference? Can anyone else confirm?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by JDS747
Yes, once you are added to the airport standby list it will split your reservation. Because for some reason SHARES can only handle one person per reservation on the upgrade list at a time.

As a side note I believe the same holds true for standing by on a flight. If you wish to standby because you can't be confirmed then your reservation will also be split.
Flying Intl with no-status Father. The two overseas segments cleared using GPUs > 24 hours before start of trip. However the outbound and return domestic portions did not.

At T-24 used the App to start check-in process to pay for upgrade to F on domestic outbound. Later I noticed PNR had been split.

We are both waitlisted for return domestic upgrade (using GPUs). But will my Father still be waitlisted with my status (1K), or since he is own is own PNR, his status is now nothing?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
..But will my Father still be waitlisted with my status (1K), or since he is own is own PNR, his status is now nothing?
His own (no) status, but he will at least be ahead of all non-GS CPUs...
Old May 31, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
Flying Intl with no-status Father. The two overseas segments cleared using GPUs > 24 hours before start of trip. However the outbound and return domestic portions did not.

At T-24 used the App to start check-in process to pay for upgrade to F on domestic outbound. Later I noticed PNR had been split.

We are both waitlisted for return domestic upgrade (using GPUs). But will my Father still be waitlisted with my status (1K), or since he is own is own PNR, his status is now nothing?
Ask an agent to add him as your 1K Companion. Just had this happen yesterday and agent at club was able to get my fiance (on an auto-split ticket). She went from last on the UGL to #1 , above me!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott
Just wanted to share my experience on this and wondering what my options are. Travel has already occurred and I didn't have the time to really deal with it at that moment. I came across this thread and thought I could share my experience which happened in the past 2 weeks and if others could give further insight.

I'm UA silver, booked award travel for 3 (family) on same reservation from EWR-SNA. On check-in using PC, I did it quickly did not notice anything about splitting reservation, but upon check-in it properly allowed me to get E+ for myself and for one companion and I paid for the 3rd E+. Baggage was free for all of us and my TSA pre was extended to the other 2 (they don't have status or TSA pre). Reservation was split, I thought it was weird. But since I didn't have to pay for 2 E+ I was ok and looked like everything was working fine.

On return flight, reservation was already split, had to pay for 2 E+ upgrades. TSA pre was not extended to other 2 companions. I paid for it anyway, didn't want us sitting separately. Though we were all in the same boarding group 2. Baggage was free for all of us.

After going thru this thread I'm not entirely sure how to best go about booking future travel if this is always going to happen because I have low status and my companions don't. I put in for a refund for the 2nd E+ charge but got denied.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DeeL
On return flight, reservation was already split, had to pay for 2 E+ upgrades. TSA pre was not extended to other 2 companions. I paid for it anyway, didn't want us sitting separately. Though we were all in the same boarding group 2. Baggage was free for all of us.

After going thru this thread I'm not entirely sure how to best go about booking future travel if this is always going to happen because I have low status and my companions don't. I put in for a refund for the 2nd E+ charge but got denied.
If you don't automatically get the E+ seat, you need to call to get it assigned for free.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DeeL

Yes if you preassigned your companion(s)into E+ seats on both the outbound and return flights you should not have been charged for those seats on the return flight. I assume you didn't do this.

Also, as stated multiple times above, don't use auto check in. Did you?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
.... don't use auto check in. ...
Long gone
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...heck-gone.html
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't use it and haven't for years. However, I thought I was offered it on a trip to KOA several months back but can't be sure. You would know though.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And IMO, good riddance, at least the way it was implemented!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
And IMO, good riddance, at least the way it was implemented!
I see from the link that Auto check in ended November 16, 2016. That fits with my Kona trip. I think I flew back mid November and that was the last I remember being offered it. As stated, I didn't use it then and I rarely used it over the last several years. Every time I traveled with a partner it ended up splitting our PNRs so that one or the other kept on getting upgraded. This was often frustrating to say the least.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see from the link that Auto check in ended November 16, 2016. That fits with my Kona trip. I think I flew back mid November and that was the last I remember being offered it. As stated, I didn't use it then and I rarely used it over the last several years. Every time I traveled with a partner it ended up splitting our PNRs so that one or the other kept on getting upgraded. This was often frustrating to say the least.
IME, in addition to that, the worst part was it was 'negative option' - i.e. on the app at least, it was checked by defualt, and if you didn't specifically uncheck it, it would be active. Even when you did, it was part of a screen with multiple other things on it, so even if you did know where it was to uncheck it, you never really knew if unchecking it 'went through', so to speak.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott
Yes if you preassigned your companion(s)into E+ seats on both the outbound and return flights you should not have been charged for those seats on the return flight. I assume you didn't do this.

Also, as stated multiple times above, don't use auto check in. Did you?

No auto check-in, I don't recall seeing the option for that for my last couple of flights. If premier silver you can only get E+ upgrade at check-in 24 hours in advance. I guess one could try to call next time.

It took a bit of work but the issue was finally resolved by United.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Reservation not split. New policy

My higher status (he's a 1K) S.O. and I are currently traveling on an itinerary that was originally booked by him. Upgrades for three of the four round trip segments were processed at the 72 hour mark.

I was expecting the reservation to be split at 24 hours or when I checked in, but it was never split, and remains as one reservation. We have already completed the outbound segments.

Any idea why the reservation wasn't split or whether this is indicates some type of change in UA's policy?

edit: I neglected to include a "?" after the word "policy" in the posting title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.