Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Type-B vouchers after 3/3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
My paper "treat as type B voucher" is for $498 and change. Issued Nov 1, 2011 so good for 12 months.

- 10 days ago, I ticketed an itin that cost more than that, but I did not think to try and apply the voucher or tell them about it. It was just a straight website purchase. No chance of me mailing this voucher in now and getting a $498 refund from the previous issued ticket, right?

- Any way for them to convert the voucher to electronic, so it is easier to apply in the future?

- If I make a rez that costs less than the voucher, UA in the past sent me a residual voucher for the remainder. What is the new UA going to do?

Thanks.

-
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
I can report that CLE CS processeds type-b certs today.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: nothing but freebies
$25 Call center fee with type B voucher?

As some have experienced, I called to redeem my old UA type B voucher and was told I will be charged $25 fee(gasp).. Rep said "after merge, anything thru phone comes with a call center fee"-is it a new policy? Is there a UA webpage or something that I can argue against?

Last edited by edta450; Apr 3, 2012 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by edta450
As some have experienced, I called to redeem my old UA type B voucher and was told I will be charged $25 fee(gasp).. Rep said "after merge, anything thru phone comes with a call center fee"-is it a new policy? Is there a UA webpage or something that I can argue against?
Book it online, choose pay with Cash, then head to the airport by mdnight the next day.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj
Book it online, choose pay with Cash, then head to the airport by mdnight the next day.
Then wouldn't they charge $30 airport ticketing fee? (as mentioned at .bomb)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My pre 3/3 experience is Type B voucher does not incur airport ticketing fee.

In this thread only one poster reported the agent tried to charge him the fee but at the end didn't after the poster stood firm his ground about using the Type B voucher should not have a ticketing fee.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
If you read back a page or two, most report having the $25 fee on the reservation for ticketing by phone removed once the ticket is actually issued at the airport. There were similar reports in the $30 fee.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My pre 3/3 experience is Type B voucher does not incur airport ticketing fee.

In this thread only one poster reported the agent tried to charge him the fee but at the end didn't after the poster stood firm his ground about using the Type B voucher should not have a ticketing fee.
Originally Posted by kwildnj
If you read back a page or two, most report having the $25 fee on the reservation for ticketing by phone removed once the ticket is actually issued at the airport. There were similar reports in the $30 fee.
Thanks! I will give a shot
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
My paper "treat as type B voucher" is for $498 and change. Issued Nov 1, 2011 so good for 12 months.

- 10 days ago, I ticketed an itin that cost more than that, but I did not think to try and apply the voucher or tell them about it. It was just a straight website purchase. No chance of me mailing this voucher in now and getting a $498 refund from the previous issued ticket, right?

- Any way for them to convert the voucher to electronic, so it is easier to apply in the future?

- If I make a rez that costs less than the voucher, UA in the past sent me a residual voucher for the remainder. What is the new UA going to do?

Thanks.

-
1. Nope. You can't retroactively apply the voucher unless you cancel your existing reservation and deal with any penalties that apply (likely a $150 change fee).

2. Nope. These vouchers are paper vouchers and are not converted to electronic vouchers unfortunately.

3. This depends on the rules of your voucher. Does it say "no residual value" if used on a ticket that doesn't cost as much as the voucher is worth? Also , is it one voucher for $498 or are there separate $100 vouchers in the booklet? If so, you should only send them an appropriate number of $100 vouchers to get you as close to full payment on the ticket and then pay the rest with a credit card.

Example: if you book airfare for $325 you should send them 3x$100 and pay $25 on the card. Reason is that if you send them 4x$100 they will not refund the $75 difference. This is clearly laid out in the VDB comp $400 booklets I have. Any residual value of an individual $100 certificate is voided.

-RM
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Booked some flights yesterday and it went really smooth:

7PM
-look up flights in ITA @:-)
-use multi cities function (one way) on .bomb to get flights that I wanted
-chose "cash/western union" option^
-prompted "$30 airport ticketing office/ $25 United ticketing office"
-picked $25 United ticketing office
-wrote down confirmation #
-rinse and repeated 8 times (8 one-ways)

7:30PM
-head to the airport
8PM
-in front of ticket counter
-no one in line, got helped right a way
-used 4 type-B voucher ($100) on those 4 one-ways, total time 20 mins (shocking! and the GA has been with UA for 26 years)
-no hiccups

Verdict:
-smooth, easy transaction :-:
-$25 wasn't even mentioned, (maybe because the reservation is tied to my ffq# or perhap because I presented my DL ID and 1k card at the same time).
-yes I did double check on the receipt, and happy to say there are no hidden $25 charge any where on it. ^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Update on ticket by mail processing

On 10-March I mailed a letter with vouchers to the Ticket By Mail address in IAH.
They should have received the letter by 13-March.
The ticket had already been booked/paid/issued.

I called today inquiring about the delay in receiving a credit for the submitted vouchers.
Agent said that the record noted receipt of the vouchers on 2-April.

Agent (legacy UA) said aloud, "Why wouldn't they process the paper vouchers when they opened the envelope? Good grief."

Good grief, indeed.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:43 pm

Success w/ a bit of oddities

OK, I followed the advise-held tickets on .bomb and headed to the BOS PMUA ticket counter. Two separate PNRs, two type-B 'like' vouchers (one more, one less than value of the ticket to be issued). First one, I paid difference with CC, no problem. Second one, the TA had no problem with issuing the ticket, however the voucher for the difference between original and ticket value was not printed. Two other TA got in and it seemed they had to issue an independent voucher(possibly different type, as below).

Anyway, after 10 mins, they handed me two receipts and a "new" voucher, not even mentioning ticketing fee at all, but..
1) They were wrong in regards of the new voucher value-I got ~$10 extra. Well, I can live with that
2) Even they told me I would be getting a paper voucher, what I got was actually a code with PIN, usable at .bomb. T&C seems to be quite similar to that of type B voucher-it says "GG ETC". Wondering if it is a standard process post-merger at the airport?

Anyway, I am happy for the both, and thanks again for the advise!

Last edited by edta450; Apr 5, 2012 at 6:54 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
2) Even they told me I would be getting a paper voucher, what I got was actually a code with PIN, usable at .bomb. T&C seems to be quite similar to that of type B voucher-it says "GG ETC". Wondering if it is a standard process post-merger at the airport?
Yes, CO does not issue paper vouchers.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
I don't like sending in Type B voucher by mail; I usually go to the airport to have it apply in my reservation. Last week, a UA agent (legacy CO agent) here in MIA, who has not done this process before, applied a $400 UA Type B voucher for my reservation. It took her about 30 minutes, which include a brief consultation with her colleague, to issue the ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
The agent voided the paper vouchers, and gave me an electronic certificate which she redeem for me at united.com right at the airport

(by the way: jfk is premium service, but this was everything but premium)
Very interesting. I would love to convert my paper certs to electronic.

And, isn't the saying "anything" but premium? Maybe I'm off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.