Wiki Posts
Search

United Type-B vouchers after 3/3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by manord
Thanks.

Glad I didn't take the VDB then. I wouldn't have much use for free tickets on UA (doesn't fit neatly with company paid travel) but contributions towards upgrades would have been nice.
Do you never fly for leisure? (Although your location in your profile might suggest that using them might be annoying.)
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:05 pm

I've got a paper cert worth $2.89. Expiring 10/14 this year. Not that I have a use for it or its worth going to the airport to use $2.89.....I just submitted the form online to get an e-cert. Wonder the expression on the person's face who has to convert that one
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hellyea
I've got a paper cert worth $2.89. Expiring 10/14 this year. Not that I have a use for it or its worth going to the airport to use $2.89.....I just submitted the form online to get an e-cert. Wonder the expression on the person's face who has to convert that one
Hey, still better than letting it go to waste!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
What if my paper vouchers exp. in few days and I upload and exchange them? Will I get new exp. date?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by al613
What if my paper vouchers exp. in few days and I upload and exchange them? Will I get new exp. date?
Yes. Valid for one year from whenever they issue it.

-RM
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Whoa. You get another year for converting them to electronic?!?!??! I had no idea! I was about to post here because I'm having major problems with UA and the paper->electronic conversion. My vouchers ($400) expire TODAY. I submitted them on the website for conversion 5 days ago, and they said it would take up to 72 hours. Really really annoying!

I have a reservation for MEL-SFO-EWR-MEL in August on hold for a pretty good US $1450 w/o the voucher. I can't book that until I get the converted paper certs though. I've been on the phone w/ UA a few times already, and I only call the US # from now on. If you call the Australia number, you get the Singapore call centre. They are useless there. Each time you call, you hear something different about rules and procedures.

Is there anything I could/should do? If I do get a year extension, that does sound pretty good. I think I'll just use them on the August flights though as I doubt it'll get much lower than $1450 (and is almost $1600 if you try to book right now).

UPDATE: Dec 12th and still NO RESPONSE from UA with the PIN in place of my paper certs. Unreal!! They told me it could take a month, and it's been a month already!

Last edited by briank1973; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:42 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:48 am

My issue is the converting of 4 $100 vouchers that were part of one booklet. After I put my reservation on hold, I called United who gave me two options on converting the paper certs. 1) snail mail or 2) online conversion. I chose the latter. Here's where it went south. I didn't see an option to upload multiple vouchers so I only scanned one thinking the core cert number would apply to the booklet. Of course I only received one ETC pin#. I had to call United (over 60 mins) and their final solution was for me to convert each paper certificate into an ETC and then call back with all 4 pin numbers so they could combine them into one pin# for me to enter when I go to purchase the reservation. Not very efficient to say the least.

Update* - turns out that all I had to do was scan each paper certificate and submit one after the other. Once United receives them, they bundle it into one ETC pin (as long as the certificates were part of a booklet). I stopped after submitting the first voucher because the instructions were not clear on entering multiple paper certificates.

Last edited by Keith Dowling; Dec 11, 2012 at 9:49 am Reason: update*
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, Delta, Amtrak, Southwest, American Airlines
My Nephew gave me a voucher that he did not need, expiring December 15, 2012. The PIN was legible, but the Promotion Code was faded in spots. Thanks to this thread, I was able to figure out the promo code: 11TVCA, which I verified on United.com.

Thanks to all for a very informative thread. I will report again if I encounter any hiccups in the online booking.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:27 am

Has anyone had an experience where UA hasn't gotten back on the voucher conversion? I put in four vouchers 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Fortunately, I scanned them, so I still have the originals.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Has anyone had an experience where UA hasn't gotten back on the voucher conversion? I put in four vouchers 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Fortunately, I scanned them, so I still have the originals.
I'd just try submitting it again and see what happens. Current delay seems to be about 2-3 days - I submitted one on Tuesday morning and it was done Thursday morning, whilst another I submitted Wednesday morning hasn't come through yet.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: United 1MM
I'm now at, get this, 6 weeks since I submitted my vouchers for conversion. No response yet!!! I've called multiple times about it in the first 3 weeks. They told me to wait patiently. The expiry date on the vouchers has passed since submitting them, but UA told me not to worry about that.

It honestly smells like they are going to screw me over here. The people who do the conversions are a protected unit within UA (meaning, you can't actually talk to them. You have to go through a regular reservation agent as a middle person).

I'm still waiting on a refund of 100K miles from March as well. It's insane.

Update: After almost 6 months, it appears to all be fixed up (granted, I neglected it from January till yesterday as United told me to "wait"). Best United agent is a woman named Alisa in Houston. Here is what they emailed me:

"Our research has been completed regarding the paper vouchers that you received for $400 in 2011. Our records indicate, there was a processing error in the exchange to an electronic travel certificate. Therefore, a new certificate will be sent to you under separate email cover within 3 to 5 business days."

At least they recognised the processing error. Previously, they never did. I submitted the the paper certificates (scans) on their exchange webpage twice, and even got confirmation emails that they received them and will process them. Now that they don't do paper certificates anymore, this issue will not affect anyone in the future.

Last edited by briank1973; Apr 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:35 pm

Need to use up some converted e-cert expiring in Apr, can I use it to

1) book the flight in future,say ticket for Dec or even early 2014? (i.e. the flight start after the e-cert expires)

2) book the international flight operated from the Star Alliance partner, as long as the flight does show up on ua.com?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.