Wiki Posts
Search

United Type-B vouchers after 3/3

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Nice! Hope it works out!

As a data point, I ticketed four reservations today using Type B vouchers at the NYC Penn Station United Ticket office. They were codeshare flights operated by Air Canada, and the agent didn't bat an eyelash. Ticketed them all in 10 minutes. (I purposely put AC segments on hold since they were nonstop to NYC versus UA metal connecting flights. While technically Type Bs can only be used on UA, glad she just did it!)
Wow, that's amazing! I thought UA was very strict about using type B for any codeshare flights. I was really hoping to use my Type-B on a LH codeshare BRU-SFO, but return on UA metal ORD-LHR.

Has anyone that have the new TCVA converted from Type-B tried a codeshare search? Does it block out any codeshare flight from being booked?

I would love to get someone at UA to ticket it, after all the value of the coupon could easily be applied to the UA metal part, ORD-LHR.

Oddly enough the T&Cs doesn't say that it has to be UA metal, in fact it only says "certificate may be redeemed for credit up to its face amount only toward the purchase of an electronic airline ticket(s), where eligible, from United". That would definitely be a nice surprise if the new VDB/IDB can be used on any United ticket, even codeshare! ^

Originally Posted by budblab
Received my e-certificate, has an expiration date 1 year from today, and here are the T&C:
Terms and Conditions
1. To redeem go to United.com or call United Reservations at 800-UNITED-1. There is no fee to book and redeem at United.com. Please note, there will be a ticketing service fee if you redeem at United Reservations, or a United
ticketing facility. Fees vary, starting at $15, and are subject to change without notice. Certificates may not be redeemed through a Travel Agency.
2. You may view certificate details at United.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional Programs and enter Promotion code and PIN in the offer code box.
3. The certificate may be redeemed for credit up to its face amount only toward the purchase of an electronic airline ticket(s), where eligible, from United. The Promotion Code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire one year from original date of issue.
4. The certificate will not be honored in connection with prepaid tickets, tour packages or the purchase of nontransportation documents or items such as baggage charges, pet charges, inflight meal, beverage or entertainment charges, MileagePlus Rewards, Fee-waived tickets, etc.
5. If the face amount of this certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached. This certificate cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code TCVA or other travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
6. This certificate is not transferable and may not be sold or bartered. However, the original recipient of this certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering this certificate. Any sale or barter transaction involving this certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render this certificate full VOID and thereupon this certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
7. Positive identification may be required when using this certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or use of this certificate receipt by a person other than the original recipient.
8. Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain United codeshare flights may be valid for redemption.
9. Uniteds Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by matthewsoft
Wow, that's amazing! I thought UA was very strict about using type B for any codeshare flights.
Even if they are, you've seen the interface the agents use. Do you think it would highlight the codeshare in any reasonable manner?

A UA 8xxx flight operated by AC probably looks the same to them as a UA 6xxx flight operated by SkyWest.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Aren't Type Bs domestic only?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Firewind
Aren't Type Bs domestic only?
Nope. Quite the opposite, actually.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Then I've been on the wrong thread. I stand corrected here. I thought my vouchers - the ones I've been talking about - said "Type B". I know they said domestic only. Maybe that's why the CSRs at the ticket counter at BOS could still ticket me a month ago? I honestly am shifting from "answerer" to "questioner". So, thank you to wierdlyndon and murphyUA for, together, turning over this rock.

Last edited by Firewind; Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30 am
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Firewind
Then I've been on the wrong thread. I thought my vouchers - the ones I've been talking about - said "Type B". I stand corrected. Maybe that's why the CSRs at the ticket counter at BOS could still ticket me a month ago? I honestly am shifting from "answerer" to "questioner". So, thank you to wierdlyndon and MurphyUA for, together, turning over this rock.
Well actually, there have been Type B vouchers that were domestic (or region 1-ish) only, but for the most part when people speak of "Type B Vouchers", 99% of the time it's the PMUA VDB vouchers...which can be used systemwide.

The upshot is, just being type B doesn't mean it can be used domestic only/systemwide.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:20 pm

new TCVA converted from Type-B -- I assume it (the new e-cert) can no longer be auto-extended to another year upon every use? In other words, the expiration is set the moment I got my type-b voucher converted, correct? thanks
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susieling
new TCVA converted from Type-B -- I assume it (the new e-cert) can no longer be auto-extended to another year upon every use? In other words, the expiration is set the moment I got my type-b voucher converted, correct? thanks
Yes. The expiration date never changes.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Originally Posted by channa
Even if they are, you've seen the interface the agents use. Do you think it would highlight the codeshare in any reasonable manner?

A UA 8xxx flight operated by AC probably looks the same to them as a UA 6xxx flight operated by SkyWest.
Has anyone had any luck using the paper vouchers at the airport recently? I had one of my sets converted, and although it doesn't specify it can't be used on code shares, whenever I have a code share itinerary, the travel certificate option doesn't appear on the payment page. I'm going to try calling when I'm ready to book, but I'm not too optimistic.

FYI, here are the full terms and conditions:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...Conditions.pdf
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:14 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matthewsoft
Has anyone had any luck using the paper vouchers at the airport recently?.
Yes. Two weeks ago at SFO.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. The expiration date never changes.
Actually, I converted a set of vouchers last week, and got the new date.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susieling
Originally Posted by hobo13
Actually, I converted a set of vouchers last week, and got the new date.
You miss the question.

The poster was asking if the TCVA could get a new date after each usage like the old paper voucher does. He already KNEW when the paper voucher converts to TCVA there is a new date set but that IS IT - and that is what you have done. OP is wanting to know if one could extend the TCVA indefinitely like the old paper voucher would - after each usage the residual would get a new date - TCVA does not te-set new date on residual value after each new date.

If you really understand what OP asked, and really find a way to get the new date on TCVA each time you used it - this would be a gigantic discovery. Unfortunately I truly believe you either totally mis-read OP's question or not understand his question at all.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Q: VDB vouchers

Can the vouchers given for VDB be used towards any future UA cost or just tickets? Eg - can they be used to pay for upgrades - either directly as a "cash" upgrade or by paying the co-pay on a mileage upgrade?

Probably worth adding that I've never VDB'd on UA before (or PMUA/PMCO) so I've no idea what format the "voucher" actually is.

Last edited by manord; Sep 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by manord
Can the vouchers given for VDB be used towards any future UA cost or just tickets? Eg - can they be used to pay for upgrades - either directly as a "cash" upgrade or by paying the co-pay on a mileage upgrade?

Probably worth adding that I've never VDB'd on UA before (or PMUA/PMCO) so I've no idea what format the "voucher" actually is.
just tickets
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
just tickets
Thanks.

Glad I didn't take the VDB then. I wouldn't have much use for free tickets on UA (doesn't fit neatly with company paid travel) but contributions towards upgrades would have been nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.