Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant? I thought they mostly handled the situation by proactively reducing their schedule.
It's been much better than the past - typical GDP delays don't get worse than 30m or so, although you still have adjustments for winter rains. They had to switch from 28 to 10 and back yesterday and it stacked up some more delays than normal.

Ironically SFO is more consistent with 28L out of commission because it is lower variance in terms of ops during bad wx.
jsloan and The Man in Seat 9A like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
While SFO is not home, I go through it a lot.

Maybe my bad luck, but every flight I have flown to SFO last month (around 10, mostly AS and UA) has been held in a holding pattern, a couple of go arounds, leading to some dicey onward transfers - I won't call it connections since some of them were mileage runs on separate tickets.

There was even one-time where I observed SFO using 28R for all takeoffs and landings.

With regards to OP's situation, 1.5 hrs generally sufficient, even with some delays. All things being equal, if there are holding patterns and go arounds, it would impact both OP's aircraft from Canada and the inbound aircraft of the connecting flight. That said, the connecting flight is a long haul, so the gap time between flights are usually longer, which could play a factor. Anyway, I still think generally no issues with 1.5 hrs assuming the flight from Canada is on time; even a slight delay should still afford OP more than enough time for the connection.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant?
Yes, absolutely, particularly when they can't use the 1s for takeoffs.

I'm in and out every week or two and have seem quite a few delays in the 30-90 minute range. UA seems to be more affected than some other airlines, I'm sure due to the relatively higher number of flights. 90 minutes from YYC to a once-a-day long-haul would give me pause.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
With regards to OP's situation, 1.5 hrs generally sufficient, even with some delays. All things being equal, if there are holding patterns and go arounds, it would impact both OP's aircraft from Canada and the inbound aircraft of the connecting flight.
It wouldn't, that's the problem. The inbound long-haul normally won't be delayed. The short-haul may be. That's how the air traffic management programs operate. There's also the problem of cascading delays if an aircraft is rotating in and out of SFO (don't know if this is the case with YYC, but it certainly is with many western US routes).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Hi, all! I think this is the correct thread to ask this, but if not, please point me in the right direction. I will be flying PVG - IND via SFO. I'm a DL guy, so this will be my first time for international arrival/connection at SFO. Looking at the SFO maps, I think I have this down correctly, but would appreciate any information from anyone with more experience with the SFO international terminal.

My plan is to use the international terminal G security after clearing passport control and customs and re-checking my luggage, so that I will re-enter the secure part of the airport by the Polaris lounge. Am I correctly understanding that the luggage re-check is right around the location of the connecting flights door/exit, after clearing customs? And then once I've re-checked my bag, I can just proceed directly upstairs to go back through security? I'll have access to the Polaris lounge, thanks to the J ticket; also, I'm assuming the security in the international terminal will be faster, with both Pre and Clear? (And the walk back over to T3 looks pretty fast/straghtforward, with the walkway being right outside the Polaris lounge?)

Thanks in advance!
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by chipbennett
Hi, all! I think this is the correct thread to ask this, but if not, please point me in the right direction. I will be flying PVG - IND via SFO. I'm a DL guy, so this will be my first time for international arrival/connection at SFO. Looking at the SFO maps, I think I have this down correctly, but would appreciate any information from anyone with more experience with the SFO international terminal.

My plan is to use the international terminal G security after clearing passport control and customs and re-checking my luggage, so that I will re-enter the secure part of the airport by the Polaris lounge. Am I correctly understanding that the luggage re-check is right around the location of the connecting flights door/exit, after clearing customs? And then once I've re-checked my bag, I can just proceed directly upstairs to go back through security? I'll have access to the Polaris lounge, thanks to the J ticket; also, I'm assuming the security in the international terminal will be faster, with both Pre and Clear? (And the walk back over to T3 looks pretty fast/straghtforward, with the walkway being right outside the Polaris lounge?)

Thanks in advance!
Correct. You can absolutely clear security at the INTL terminal. Here is a map that shows the bag drop process: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...san-francisco/
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Correct. You can absolutely clear security at the INTL terminal. Here is a map that shows the bag drop process: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...san-francisco/
Ah, that map is exactly what I was looking for. Perfect. Thank you!
SamirD and sonyeoshin like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm assuming the security in the international terminal will be faster, with both Pre and Clear?
Probably not, but if you're going to PL, it's a pretty serious backtrack to go all the way to the F1 checkpoint, even though F1 is often much more efficient than G (which doesn't offer true Pre much of the day).
SPN Lifer, SamirD and chipbennett like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably not, but if you're going to PL, it's a pretty serious backtrack to go all the way to the F1 checkpoint, even though F1 is often much more efficient than G (which doesn't offer true Pre much of the day).
I'm guessing the walk from G to F is about 10 minutes, from the bag re-check location? So, 20 minutes round-trip to go to F1? Hopefully the G security checkpoint isn't that much slower! (I've only ever used the T2 security, which with Pre and Clear never takes me more than about 5 minutes. It takes longer to walk to the Sky Club from security than it does actually getting through security).

Looking at FlightAware, it seems that this PVG-SFO flight is often delayed. If that happens, I may just head over to F1 anyway, if I don't have time to make it worthwhile to hit the Polaris Lounge.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:13 am

I'm guessing the walk from G to F is about 10 minutes, from the bag re-check location?
5-10 from re-check, depending on how fast you walk. If you're departing from or E or F, and not using Polaris lounge, I would go to F1. We went through G following LX38 on Sunday (around 4 pm) and it sucked. No dedicated pre, so you're stuck behind people taking everything out.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and chipbennett like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
...so you're stuck behind people taking everything out.
I've never understood why anyone without pre doesn't just have all this sorted before they get in line--I know I do. Makes the process so much swifter and sometimes even faster than pre!
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Pre+Clear in G is not too bad. I usually arrive on BART from home and go through TSA at G. I've never seen it not be true Pre. I have seen Pre back up a bit, but nothing too bad, and Clear is usually, but not always better. It is a 30 second walk from security to Polaris Lounge. No need to seriously consider F.
SamirD and chipbennett like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:54 am

Early Morning SFO Transit—F or G Security?

Hi, what’s the FT consensus on choosing G vs F security for early morning I-D transits at SFO? The last few times I have arrived at SFO from Asia, I have made the hike to F only to find very long lines at security. That has me wondering whether reclearing security at G would be better, especially since the Polaris lounge would be close by. I understand that I’d have to leave time to walk to my onward domestic departure gate at E or F. TSA Pre + Clear if relevant.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, in your situation clearing security at SFO Concourse G would indeed make good sense.
SamirD and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by ToadHallRacing
Hi, what’s the FT consensus on choosing G vs F security for early morning I-D transits at SFO?
Early morning G will likely be better. That's one of the times of day where you can pretty much be sure that F is packed for the morning departure banks, while there won't be much traffic at G, as most international departures don't start till late morning.

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
Pre+Clear in G is not too bad. I usually arrive on BART from home and go through TSA at G. I've never seen it not be true Pre.
Then you haven't used it very frequently. SFO has never returned security staffing and hours to pre-pandemic levels.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:24 am

5-10 from re-check, depending on how fast you walk. If you're departing from or E or F, and not using Polaris lounge, I would go to F1. We went through G following LX38 on Sunday (around 4 pm) and it sucked. No dedicated pre, so you're stuck behind people taking everything out.
This, to me, is kind of insane. No dedicated Pre line for the international terminal of a major airline's international hub? Oh, no; what is you doing, SFO? (Or is it that there is only a dedicated Pre line at certain days/times in G?)

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
Pre+Clear in G is not too bad. I usually arrive on BART from home and go through TSA at G. I've never seen it not be true Pre. I have seen Pre back up a bit, but nothing too bad, and Clear is usually, but not always better. It is a 30 second walk from security to Polaris Lounge. No need to seriously consider F.
This was my assumption, and my plan. Thanks!
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2024 at 1:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.