Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopping
Re: #2 - copy; just curious about the need to go through security again when transferring from a pre-clearance flight. I guess my confusion is two folds:
a). Pre-clearance and security already took place so what'd be the rationale behind the second round of security upon arrival while transferring from 1 terminal to another with both on the airside, provided baggage claim is not needed (inapplicable in my case - just trying to understand the seemingly unnecessary segregation)?, or
b). At least a one-way walkway from pre-clearance flight arrivals to Terminal A without another security should be allowed?
It's merely a quirk of the airport. If you were connecting to a UA flight, or a flight that was departing out of the G terminal (and, as you say, didn't have to pick up bags), you could proceed without having to go through an additional security check. However, there is no airside connection between these terminals. One is planned / under construction, but won't be completed for a while.

In other words, it's not because the TSA / US Government or SFO airport commission thinks that precleared travelers need to be screened again -- it's just that few enough travelers are making this journey that they haven't bothered to try to make it efficient.

#5 - good to know luggage storage is available. I will likely use it, also depending on how I'd spend the 15 hours. If I can find somewhere comfy where I can relax, I may keep the bags with me. Any good restaurant, lounge options that don't cost a fortune? Assuming a few are located both before and after security 2.0...
Most of the facilities at SFO are post-security. And anything post-security will cost a fortune. (Actually, any restaurant in SFO will cost a fortune; the airport, more so).

Bonus points for pinpointing my CZ flight! The layover was perfect both ways (5-7 hours); that was before the summer schedule was out.
Unfortunately, that seems to be CZ's entire schedule for the summer season, so it was just a search on ExpertFlyer.

Re: #1 - even if my luggage is tagged to YYC, I will still need to claim it before customs? If so, it would mean I will have to recheck it in in Step 2 regardless how it's tagged?
Yes, you will need to claim it before customs even if it is tagged to YYC. However, if it is tagged to YYC, then you may* be able to use the recheck area immediately after Customs (follow the signs for Connecting Passengers and Baggage Recheck). You won't need to schlep it to the UA/AC counter, and you won't have to wait until the desk opens for your flight.

* It occurs to me that I've never tried re-checking tagged luggage for a flight the next day and can't promise that it would be accepted.

#2 - curious how CZ and UA baggage policies differ that has an impact to my travel?
Not sure if they do; it's a question for the CZ board, and I've never flown them myself. But it's possible that they would be willing to check the bags through across a 21-hour layover, whereas UA's policy would be not to do so.
Don't think I will need the checked bags overnight but since/if I will need to take it out anyway, I can keep it with me perhaps - hoping to get a hotel room with free shuttle service. Any recommendations?
The Grand Hyatt is connected by (free) train to the terminals at SFO. It's a bit pricey but you can't beat the convenience. If you happen to have Chase Ultimate Rewards points, they transfer to Hyatt 1:1 and I've often found Hyatt's redemption rates to be attractive. Most other hotels near the airport will offer shuttle service. There is also a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station that's accessible from the same train as the Hyatt, and while BART isn't free, it's not particularly expensive either, and it's reasonably comprehensive (especially by US standards).
SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:57 pm

#2 - curious how CZ and UA baggage policies differ that has an impact to my travel?
Don't think I will need the checked bags overnight but since/if I will need to take it out anyway, I can keep it with me perhaps - hoping to get a hotel room with free shuttle service. Any recommendations?
If the baggage dropoff area at customs won't accept your bag, you should be able to drop it off at the UA or AC check in counter at the domestic terminals, whichever one you're flying out of. If your bags aren't tagged all the way to YYC, you should tag them at SFO.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
what'd be the rationale behind the second round of security upon arrival while transferring from 1 terminal to another with both on the airside, provided baggage claim is not needed (inapplicable in my case - just trying to understand the seemingly unnecessary segregation)?, or
b). At least a one-way walkway from pre-clearance flight arrivals to Terminal A without another security should be allowed?
You are correct that you would be allowed to do this without a security check.

The issue is just that SFO did not physically build a pathway to do this - it's expensive to build hallways both sterile and landside. Originally, each of the SFO terminals was completely separate from the others because they were built at separate times and different airlines used each. In the last decade they have been slowly adding airside connections between all of the terminals. B pier was most recently rebuilt (and connected to A), and the last thing to get done will be the front part of C pier, which should include an airside connection between C and B. Right now you cannot go between B and C insideat all (landside or airside) because it's a construction site.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The issue is just that SFO did not physically build a pathway to do this
I'll just add that it's not uncommon for airports to have terminals that are not connected airside (JFK is a great example), and that by the end of 2024 it will be possible to go all the around at SFO A to G without reclearing security (though most of the time it will be quicker to just cut directly across the international departures lobby and reclear security).
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's merely a quirk of the airport. If you were connecting to a UA flight, or a flight that was departing out of the G terminal (and, as you say, didn't have to pick up bags), you could proceed without having to go through an additional security check. However, there is no airside connection between these terminals. One is planned / under construction, but won't be completed for a while.

In other words, it's not because the TSA / US Government or SFO airport commission thinks that precleared travelers need to be screened again -- it's just that few enough travelers are making this journey that they haven't bothered to try to make it efficient.
Okay your and other replies seem to confirm that an airside pathway connecting various terminals should be feasible in theory.

Most of the facilities at SFO are post-security. And anything post-security will cost a fortune. (Actually, any restaurant in SFO will cost a fortune; the airport, more so).
I remember anything post security is more expensive. In my case, I think I should find a place to chill before the 2nd security check; hopefully more choices/affordable that way.

Unfortunately, that seems to be CZ's entire schedule for the summer season, so it was just a search on ExpertFlyer.
Looks like ExpertFlyer is behind a subscription wall; any other public sites that show terminal/gate info? I didn't find any good ones

Yes, you will need to claim it before customs even if it is tagged to YYC. However, if it is tagged to YYC, then you may* be able to use the recheck area immediately after Customs (follow the signs for Connecting Passengers and Baggage Recheck). You won't need to schlep it to the UA/AC counter, and you won't have to wait until the desk opens for your flight.
Thanks for pointing out the short-cut. Will see if it can be rechecked right away (will print out your step-by-step guide).

The Grand Hyatt is connected by (free) train to the terminals at SFO. It's a bit pricey but you can't beat the convenience. If you happen to have Chase Ultimate Rewards points, they transfer to Hyatt 1:1 and I've often found Hyatt's redemption rates to be attractive. Most other hotels near the airport will offer shuttle service. There is also a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station that's accessible from the same train as the Hyatt, and while BART isn't free, it's not particularly expensive either, and it's reasonably comprehensive (especially by US standards).
Yeah I read that the Grand Hyatt was nice and newly updated from, also only a stone's throw from SFO. The only downside is cost. No Chase or US CC/points here.
Does BART accept debit mastercard?
Also I plan to get some US cash for tips etc. for shuttle driver, hotel room (any others?). $20 should be enough? My MC debit should be able to take care of other expenses?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Okay your and other replies seem to confirm that an airside pathway connecting various terminals should be feasible in theory.

I remember anything post security is more expensive. In my case, I think I should find a place to chill before the 2nd security check; hopefully more choices/affordable that way.

Looks like ExpertFlyer is behind a subscription wall; any other public sites that show terminal/gate info? I didn't find any good ones

Thanks for pointing out the short-cut. Will see if it can be rechecked right away (will print out your step-by-step guide).

Yeah I read that the Grand Hyatt was nice and newly updated from, also only a stone's throw from SFO. The only downside is cost. No Chase or US CC/points here.
Does BART accept debit mastercard?
Also I plan to get some US cash for tips etc. for shuttle driver, hotel room (any others?). $20 should be enough? My MC debit should be able to take care of other expenses?
You don't need ExpertFlyer sub for gate/terminal info. CZ is in INTL terminal concourse A. All gates there are common use, meaning the aircraft will get whichever is available on the day of travel.

There are some fast food places landside in the INTL terminal more reasonable in cost.

I may have missed the many many previous posts, what's the use of BART for? Grand Hyatt is free to/from the airport using the Airtrain. Most nearby airport hotels are not exactly reachable by BART, but they all should have shuttle arriving outside at departure level (not arrival level). I have not followed some of the latest convos, but you should be able to tap your credit/debit card through the turnstile assuming it has contactless feature.

Can I offer you a bit of high level advice here? You are over planning all of this. It seems like you have long layover on both inbound and outbound; plenty of time. Things are never going to be exact on the day of travel, just have a general sense and go with the flow.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You don't need ExpertFlyer sub for gate/terminal info. CZ is in INTL terminal concourse A. All gates there are common use, meaning the aircraft will get whichever is available on the day of travel.
There was prior discussion on whether I could walk from UA arrivals to CZ departure gates without another security check. The terminal map I uploaded a couple of days ago showed Terminal A and T1 are connected post security, which means if the UA flight happens to arrive in T1, I would not need to go through security again to get to A gates. I guess the issue is pretty much moot now based what I have learned, because 1). I will have to pick up my bags regardless whether it's checked/tagged through, and 2). the odds of UA arrivals at T1 is virtually zero.

There are some fast food places landside in the INTL terminal more reasonable in cost.
More looking for some good balance between comfort/quality and affordability

I may have missed the many many previous posts, what's the use of BART for? Grand Hyatt is free to/from the airport using the Airtrain. Most nearby airport hotels are not exactly reachable by BART, but they all should have shuttle arriving outside at departure level (not arrival level). I have not followed some of the latest convos, but you should be able to tap your credit/debit card through the turnstile assuming it has contactless feature.
BART came up in the context of getting to the hotel for my overnight stay. The card is contactless.

Can I offer you a bit of high level advice here? You are over planning all of this. It seems like you have long layover on both inbound and outbound; plenty of time. Things are never going to be exact on the day of travel, just have a general sense and go with the flow.
I agree on the over-planning part. It's mainly because my upcoming trip feels nothing but stressful tbh; I am never a FF and haven't flown for the last 5 years. Going through the US added another layer of anxiety with heightened security checks; not a fan of removing belt and shoes hence my ask about the possibility of transfer without security v2. Getting myself well/over-prepared and knowing what I'm getting myself into helps ease that; true that I could always ask while there but as you can see, I have lots to catch up on when it comes to air travel particularly with complex layovers involved, people even airport staff may not know the right answers (nor would they have the time or patience on the spot to explain all I need to know which is a lot), and I trust the advice from fellow FTers much more. By the way, the only reason I booked it through SFO is for cost reasons; it's much cheaper than through YVR thanks to AC monopoly. I hope it'd be all worth it.
jsloan and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
There was prior discussion on whether I could walk from UA arrivals to CZ departure gates without another security check. The terminal map I uploaded a couple of days ago showed Terminal A and T1 are connected post security, which means if the UA flight happens to arrive in T1, I would not need to go through security again to get to A gates. I guess the issue is pretty much moot now based what I have learned, because 1). I will have to pick up my bags regardless whether it's checked/tagged through, and 2). the odds of UA arrivals at T1 is virtually zero.

Though not all that likely, there's a non-zero chance your bags will be checked in at Calgary all the way through to China. On the other hand, there's a zero chance your UA flight from YYC will arrive at T1 so the question of an airside connection to the A gates doesn't matter. Even if there was an airside connection from T2/T3 to the A gates, it wouldn't help you anyway if your bags can't be checked straight through. Baggage claim at SFO, and all other airports, is outside of security.

Does that help?
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:50 pm

That sure clarifies. Thanks JimInOhio !
jsloan, SamirD and JimInOhio like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
No. Bag drop shortcut is by door 12. This is different from the regular bag drop.

Security is between door 6 and door 8.
Did this change?

Flying out of F gates and the app now says "ask to be dropped off at Terminal 3, level 3 (departures), door 2. Then head to Premier Access bag drop shortcut to tag and drop your bags"
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Did this change?

Flying out of F gates and the app now says "ask to be dropped off at Terminal 3, level 3 (departures), door 2. Then head to Premier Access bag drop shortcut to tag and drop your bags"
Door 2 is the regular bag drop (actually by door 3).

From United app map:

malgudi and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thanks!

The app says "Door 2 ... for bag drop shortcut" so that's why I thought it had changed from Door 12.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Door 2/ 3 is the Premier check in and bag drop, if you have Premier status or flying F that is typically where I drop my bags. The drop by Door 12 MAY be closer to your gate but not by any significant amount really.
malgudi and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:05 pm

I'm flying MEL-SFO-ORD with a 130 minute connection at SFO. I have Global Entry and TSA-Pre, and will have no bags. I assume this should be okay. Is the consensus still that it's best to clear security in the International terminal after clearing immigration?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I'm flying MEL-SFO-ORD with a 130 minute connection at SFO. I have Global Entry and TSA-Pre, and will have no bags. I assume this should be okay. Is the consensus still that it's best to clear security in the International terminal after clearing immigration?
I can't speak to "consensus." I can tell you that if MEL is an early morning arrival, the lines will be much shorter at G than they will in T-3. That situation will flop around 9-10 am.

In any event, with GE and Pre and no checked bags, you should be in Polaris Lounge within 20-30 minutes of door opening.
StuMcIlwain and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.