Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is the entire journey from Canada to US to China on the same ticket? If not, not sure if you can tag luggage to your final destination. Does CZ have an interline agreement with AC/UA?

In addition to the helpful advice from @jsloan, any gate info for the present day is unlikely to be the same for the day of your trip. United operates from multiple concourses at SFO.

As you will have to reclear security anyway, and with such a long layover time, why not go into town as suggested? United and China Southern operations are not connected post securiry at this time.
Yes it's on the same ticket issued by CZ (should have mentioned this important bit). Based on my limited research, CZ doesn't seem to have any partnerships with AC/UA.
I think I will stay around at SFO this time despite the long wait; going through security/checks is a major hassle to me, which I'll avoid as much as possible. Plus with the 22-hour layover though on the way back, I will have to stay off SFO for the night; maybe I will even venture out of my way (SFO-hotel-SFO) a bit
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopping
Thank you jsloan ! I read about the internatinoal <-> domestic walkway in another thread (not allowed to embed the link sorry) so was somewhat hopeful. I must admit that I only skimmed through it.
There's a walkway between the G gates and most of the rest of the airport, but the A gates are isolated.

Does going through security again mean that I will need to claim my luggage and to re-check it in after?
Not on its own, no.

Not really a good traveler here so will probably not be in a mood for sightseeing Plus I will have a 22 hour layover on the way back so will have to get out and get a hotel room for the night (as much as I don't really want to; I dread going through security/customs/immi)
All travelers entering the US will go through customs and immigratiion, regardless of the duration of their stay. For YYC-SFO, that process will be performed at YYC due to preclearance -- follow the signs with the US flags. For CAN-SFO, or whatever you might be flying on CZ, that process will occur at SFO, and would whether you were planning to leave the airport or not.

On the other hand, there are no customs or immigration formalities leaving the United States.

I heard of a 24-hour layover time limit for checked through luggage. Also a successful DP: someone flew WestJet into LAX and connected with an MU flight the next day with baggage checked through. Maybe because Westjet is more lenient?
Each airline sets its own policies. UA's is for you to reclaim your bag if the transfer is overnight or longer than 12 hours.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
WestJet (WS) and China Eastern (MU) are both part of Skyteam. The 24 hr may be an one-off, but through tagging between WS and MU can be expected.

You should confirm the luggage transfer. If it not going to final destination, and China Southern (CZ) may not even open until a few hours prior to flight, you might be on your own for the duration. There are luggage storing at SFO I believe, for a fee, of course.
SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM
New here and hope this is the correct thread for my questions: I will fly into SFO in the morning from YYC on an AC flight (code shared and operated by UA), then board a connecting CZ transpacific flight just past midnight. Trying to figure out how the transfer at SFO will work out. The inbound UA flight is supposed to arrive at Gate E8 and the outbound CZ flight will depart from A gates (as of now; I was informed of a major schedule change to the CZ flight coming April when my travel is so not sure if the gates will change as well). Is it possible to get to A from E8 without having to clear customs and immigration again? From what I know/remember (not a FF in any sense) YYC does have CBP pre-clearance.

Also hoping I wouldn't need to take out my baggage at SFO; the advice I got is to not do online check-in before the UA flight (seat already selected) so when I get to YYC, I can interact with the counter agent and ask them to through check my baggage to the final destination vs. SFO. Is this sound? The connection time is long (15 hours) by the way. Not sure if it matters to baggage handling but CZ doesn't seem to have any partnership with AC or UA.

Thanks so much.

p.s. couldn't find definite terminal data so the gate/terminal info quoted above may not be accurate. Any good websites for that?
hopping, welcome to FT. Others have given you great answers and suggestions but what you describe in your itinerary is a bit odd (to me). Is AC selling you this ticket because your return from China is on AC?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If it not going to final destination, and China Southern (CZ) may not even open until a few hours prior to flight, you might be on your own for the duration. There are luggage storing at SFO I believe, for a fee, of course.
I'm pretty much certain the CZ counter won't open until a few hours prior to the flight.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Others have given you great answers and suggestions but what you describe in your itinerary is a bit odd (to me). Is AC selling you this ticket because your return from China is on AC?
It used to be relatively common to see UA selling CZ segments onward from HKG to China, but it would indeed be a surprise if AC is selling the CZ long-haul.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
hopping, welcome to FT. Others have given you great answers and suggestions but what you describe in your itinerary is a bit odd (to me). Is AC selling you this ticket because your return from China is on AC?
Thank you!
Actually the ticket was issued by CZ (maybe because it's carrier for the main/international segment?) - I researched the itinerary online. I then booked through a TA since it has 2 airlines.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:24 pm

How to go through security again - with/without bags?

Originally Posted by Kacee
You don't clear customs or immigration to exit the US. As already noted, you will have to reclear security to get from your incoming UA gate to A, there is no airside connection.

United will NOT check your bag through unless you are on a single ticket. They also will not check through for a connection more than 12 hours.
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's a walkway between the G gates and most of the rest of the airport, but the A gates are isolated.

Not on its own, no.

Each airline sets its own policies. UA's is for you to reclaim your bag if the transfer is overnight or longer than 12 hours.
So I will need to go through security again. Also saw a map* which shows terminal A is separate from the rest which probably explains it? If so and hypothetically the UA/AC flight arrives at T1 (it shows in the same color as A), I would not need to go through security again?
*: I'm not allowed to upload a pic or embed a link sorry; will see if I can do it at a later time

I'm still kinda confused about the process though - will I need to pick up my checked bags before going through security again? I don't travel much at all so would appreciate a breakdown/step-by-step on what to do after landing in SFO.

The itinerary is on the same ticket but I guess it's failing the 2nd criterion of < 12 hours.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I will need to go through security again. Also saw a map* which shows terminal A is separate from the rest which probably explains it? If so and hypothetically the UA/AC flight arrives at T1 (it shows in the same color as A), I would not need to go through security again?
Neither UA nor AC use T1 at SFO.

I'm still kinda confused about the process though - will I need to pick up my checked bags before going through security again?
On the way from YYC, you will only need to pick up your bags if the luggage claim check you get at YYC says "SFO." If UA is able to check you through to your final destination, you will not need to pick up your bags. If you have to pick up your bags, it would occur before you would go back through security, and you would need to take them to the ticket counter for your China Southern flight, which probably won't open for at least 12 hours from your arrival time.
On the way back to YYC, you will need to pick up your bags at SFO whether your bags are tagged to SFO or YYC, because everyone traveling into the USA must go through customs. (On your outbound flight, you'll go through US Customs at YYC, which is why the steps are different).

The itinerary is on the same ticket but I guess it's failing the 2nd criterion of < 12 hours.
Right, and I suspect that's going to be the dealbreaker, but you can always ask.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:36 pm

*: I'm not allowed to upload a pic or embed a link sorry; will see if I can do it at a later time

I'm still kinda confused about the process though - will I need to pick up my checked bags before going through security again? I don't travel much at all so would appreciate a breakdown/step-by-step on what to do after landing in SFO.

Please do post a link if you can. Since you have 5 posts, you can post it now. I'm not sure what map you are referring to.

Almost all UA flights should arrive at D/E/F/G (some have reported to arrive at A, but thats probably irrelevant since you have to exit the secure side to claim luggage anyway).

I think the process is this: upon landing, exit the secure area and proceed to the baggage claim to claim luggage if you have to (yes, in the US domestic/preclearance baggage claim is in a public, non-sterile area). Then you could either chill in the City or at the airport. When it's time to proceed to your CZ flight, I think you drop it off at the CZ counter? I am not too familiar with connections like this but hoping people here know more about processes like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:45 pm

On the way from YYC, you will only need to pick up your bags if the luggage claim check you get at YYC says "SFO." If UA is able to check you through to your final destination, you will not need to pick up your bags. If you have to pick up your bags, it would occur before you would go back through security, and you would need to take them to the ticket counter for your China Southern flight, which probably won't open for at least 12 hours from your arrival time.
On the way back to YYC, you will need to pick up your bags at SFO whether your bags are tagged to SFO or YYC, because everyone traveling into the USA must go through customs. (On your outbound flight, you'll go through US Customs at YYC, which is why the steps are different).
Thank you for clarifying! Just to make sure I get it right, if it's not checked through (almost a sure bet as both you and Kacee confirmed UA's <12 hour policy), I will need to claim the bags (following the pax) and then go through security for A gates (on my own as most of the pax will proceed to customs/immigration after luggage claim?)?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:51 pm

Sfo T-Map uploaded

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Please do post a link if you can. Since you have 5 posts, you can post it now. I'm not sure what map you are referring to.

Almost all UA flights should arrive at D/E/F/G (some have reported to arrive at A, but thats probably irrelevant since you have to exit the secure side to claim luggage anyway).

I think the process is this: upon landing, exit the secure area and proceed to the baggage claim to claim luggage if you have to (yes, in the US domestic/preclearance baggage claim is in a public, non-sterile area). Then you could either chill in the City or at the airport. When it's time to proceed to your CZ flight, I think you drop it off at the CZ counter? I am not too familiar with connections like this but hoping people here know more about processes like this.
Thank you. I was referring to T1 and IN-A gates coded in the same color below which may mean that transferring between the 2 may not need to go through security again. It probably won't apply in my case as other have confirmed that UA will likely land in one of the teal terminal areas instead.

sfo T-Map
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:58 pm

Thank you. I was referring to T1 and IN-A gates coded in the same color below which may mean that transferring between the 2 may not need to go through security again. It probably won't apply in my case as other have confirmed that UA will likely land in one of the teal terminal areas instead.
sfo T-Map
Thanks for the image. A and B are correctly shaded differently as they are a separate sterile post-security area. A/B is one area and C/D/E/F/G is another. Although the airport will eventually be fully connected post-security, the current layout is still a pain for now, but it was worse a few years ago.

Thank you for clarifying! Just to make sure I get it right, if it's not checked through (almost a sure bet as both you and Kacee confirmed UA's <12 hour policy), I will need to claim the bags (following the pax) and then go through security for A gates (on my own as most of the pax will proceed to customs/immigration after luggage claim?)?
No customs outbound at SFO as that's already done at YYC. Other than that, you are correct, proceed to A gates security after dropping off bag at CZ counter. Inbound, all passengers must clear customs at SFO, claim bags, and then drop them off later if connecting.
jsloan, SamirD and hopping like this.

Last edited by sonyeoshin; Feb 14, 2024 at 11:44 pm
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, no, but UA does have one or two flights a day using Terminal A which is connected to T1. They have been doing so for the past few months, seemingly due to a shortage of gates in T2/3/G.

eg, todays UA820 from Mexico City arrived at A4, and then departed as UA1585 to Puerto Vallarta from the same gate.

But yeah, your point is correct - the odds of the OP landing in Terminal A/1 are basically zero on UA, especially on a pre-clearance flight, and definitely zero on AC now they have moved to T2/D gates.
jsloan, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sonyeoshin is correct. Here's a bit more detail about what to expect:

YYC outbound
  1. You will go through US Customs and Immigration in YYC That's what "preclearance" means. There is a separate section of the YYC airpot for transborder flights, and it is marked with a US flag. You will also go through a US-specific security check.
  2. When you arrive at SFO, you will be released into the general airport area in Terminal 2 or 3 (barring the infinitesimal chance of arriving at Terminal A that docbert has mentioned -- they've been reserving that for non-preclearance international arrivals).
  3. Most of these passengers will be heading to their connecting gates. You'll be heading to baggage claim downstairs. Follow the signs.
  4. At this point, you are outside of the secured area. Collect your bags.
  5. There is a paid luggage storage service in the International Terminal near the entrance to the G gates, if you don't wish to lug your bags around for 12 hours until the China Southern counter opens. It looks like the summer schedule is two days a week, SFO-WUH-(CAN), at 12:35 AM. I'd be surprised if the counter opened before 8:30 PM, and I suspect 9:30 PM is more likely.
  6. After you have checked your bags with CZ, you'll enter security for the A gates and proceed to your flight. You will not pass another customs / immigration check until arriving in China.
CAN/WUH outbound:
  1. You will go through US Customs and Immigration upon arrival in SFO. Thus, when you arrive at SFO, you will be in the secure area until you pass through immigration, bag retrieval, and customs.
  2. Upon exiting Customs, you will see an area to recheck luggage, which applies if your luggage has been tagged through to YYC (and if you don't want it in SFO during your layover). Here, CZ's policies apply, not UA's.
  3. If you have to / choose to keep your bag, you'll be able to check it at the United or Air Canada counter (depending upon who's operating your flight) 3-4 hours prior to departure.
  4. Prior to your flight, you'll enter the Terminal 3 (for UA) or Terminal.2 (for AC) security screening. Terminal 2 and 3 are connected via a walkway if you want to explore or just find yourself in the wrong place.
  5. You will go through Canadian customs and immigration at YYC.
Hope this helps clear things up.
SFO 1K, SPN Lifer, HkCaGu and 6 others like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Feb 15, 2024 at 11:52 am
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:56 pm

sonyeoshin is correct. Here's a bit more detail about what to expect:

YYC outbound
  1. You will go through US Customs and Immigration in YYC That's what "preclearance" means. There is a separate section of the YYC airpot for transborder flights, and it is marked with a US flag. You will also go through a US-specific security check.
  2. When you arrive at SFO, you will be released into the general airport area in Terminal 2 or 3 (barring the infinitesimal chance of arriving at Terminal A that docbert has mentioned -- they've been reserving that for non-preclearance international arrivals).
  3. Most of these passengers will be heading to their connecting gates. You'll be heading to baggage claim downstairs. Follow the signs.
  4. At this point, you are outside of the secured area. Collect your bags.
  5. There is a paid luggage storage service in the International Terminal near the entrance to the G gates, if you don't wish to lug your bags around for 12 hours until the China Southern counter opens. It looks like the summer schedule is two days a week, SFO-WUH-(CAN), at 12:35 AM. I'd be surprised if the counter opened before 8:30 PM, and I suspect 9:30 PM is more likely.
  6. After you have checked your bags with CZ, you'll enter security for the A gates and proceed to your flight. You will not pass another customs / immigration check until arriving in China.
Thanks so much for painstakingly laying out all the steps, exactly what I was hoping for.
Re: #2 - copy; just curious about the need to go through security again when transferring from a pre-clearance flight. I guess my confusion is two folds:
a). Pre-clearance and security already took place so what'd be the rationale behind the second round of security upon arrival while transferring from 1 terminal to another with both on the airside, provided baggage claim is not needed (inapplicable in my case - just trying to understand the seemingly unnecessary segregation)?, or
b). At least a one-way walkway from pre-clearance flight arrivals to Terminal A without another security should be allowed?

#5 - good to know luggage storage is available. I will likely use it, also depending on how I'd spend the 15 hours. If I can find somewhere comfy where I can relax, I may keep the bags with me. Any good restaurant, lounge options that don't cost a fortune? Assuming a few are located both before and after security 2.0...

Bonus points for pinpointing my CZ flight! The layover was perfect both ways (5-7 hours); that was before the summer schedule was out.

CAN/WUH outbound:
  1. You will go through US Customs and Immigration upon arrival in SFO. Thus, when you arrive at SFO, you will be in the secure area until you pass through immigration, bag retrieval, and customs.
  2. Upon exiting Customs, you will see an area to recheck luggage, which applies if your luggage has been tagged through to YYC (and if you don't want it in SFO during your layover). Here, CZ's policies apply, not UA's.
  3. If you have to / choose to keep your bag, you'll be able to check it at the United or Air Canada counter (depending upon who's operating your flight) 3-4 hours prior to departure.
  4. Prior to your flight, you'll enter the Terminal 3 (for UA) or Terminal.2 (for AC) security screening. Terminal 2 and 3 are connected via a walkway if you want to explore or just find yourself in the wrong place.
  5. You will go through Canadian customs and immigration at YYC.
Hope this helps clear things up.
Re: #1 - even if my luggage is tagged to YYC, I will still need to claim it before customs? If so, it would mean I will have to recheck it in in Step 2 regardless how it's tagged?
#2 - curious how CZ and UA baggage policies differ that has an impact to my travel?
Don't think I will need the checked bags overnight but since/if I will need to take it out anyway, I can keep it with me perhaps - hoping to get a hotel room with free shuttle service. Any recommendations?

p.s. I am only allowed 5 posts per 24 hours so wasn't able to reply until now and the restriction appears ongoing. My apologies.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.